Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-12-2023, 08:28   #1

Pearson 40 for first boat? Thoughts?

Hi All,

I've been searching around for boats and I found this one and put a deposit for it (I got a few days before closing). For what I read, these are very capable boats and fiberglass work is top notch. Not too big inside for a 40, but if it safer and more performance, its something I can live with..

I went to see the boat, it has the original standing rigging, but looks in decent shape (definitely needs to be checked out in the future, im not a rigger) and running rigging is dirty, needs cleaning or replacing. No soft spots on the the deck or spider cracks. The boat is in the hard, I didn't noticed anything with the hull, no blisters or anything. Needs sanding and new paint. We connected a hose to the engine, de-winterized it, ran it, switch to reverse, turned off, turned on the first try and we then winterized it again. Now the boat is barebones, no A/C, Dodger or Bimini, or fancy stuff, it does have a water heater, but don't know of the condition. It has a max prop and tiger rope cutter. I believe it has the original rudder, not the Mark II.

The only bad thing I could find was in the inside. It seems it has a leak, either through the compression post or the hatch, and that got all the cabin top core rotted and the headliner is pealed off and hanging. I don't think that is a major work to fix. It definitely doesn't look structural, is more cosmetic.

Now, I have a little bit of experience in sailing, I participated this season in races as a foredeck. Next season I want to sail on my own. I know this seems a very big boat to learn with, but I got a feeling that for the price and for the boat of this caliber, is a deal I should not let pass by.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy or let's call it adventurous?

If you guys want to take a look at the boat ad, THIS IS THE BOAT.

PS: got it for less that the asking price in the ad..
vicpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, pearson