Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 09:34   #1

Opinions / Information on '77 Hunter 27

I am looking at a 27', 1977 Hunter sailboat. I would do bay sailing, and maybe, in time, as I hopefully become a better sailor, take her down the inland waterway a bit. And, maybe, if I become a very good sailor, take her out in the ocean.....(BIG maybe!)

It has been maintained in very good condition. I will get this boat surveyed, if I decide to buy it, but, I would like to know if anyone has experience with this make/model/year, and if you can tell me anything I should be aware of that may cause a problem or mucho money to fix or maintain. I have been told it has a 3' 3" fixed keel. It has head room of 6' in the cabin, GPS, depth finder, diesel inboard, a sink in the head, and a sink in the galley, decent sails, roller furling, lifelines, radio, etc. They are asking $5,000.

Not having experience with used boats, or new, for that matter, as far as buying goes, does this sound reasonable for a boat this old? And, is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks! All responses appreciated!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 10:52   #2

I used to sail a 27 Hunter (about that vintage) up and down the Hawk Channel (Florida Keys) and out to the Dry Tortugas. If it's in good condition, the price sounds very reasonable. The way you describe it, it sounds like a deal.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 10:54   #3

The '75-'84 H27s are a Cherubini design and they perform very well for a 27 footer. They are also quite roomy for a boat of this length and vintage. My limited experience with them is that they have considerable but not abnormal leeway to windward; they are good light wind performers; and they generally perform well at all points of sail and reasonable weather/sea conditions. In Good Condition they can take you a long way. When we were cruising the Caribbean several years ago we encountered a solo cruiser who had sailed from Maine in his H27 ('79 I think). We last saw him in the Venezuelan islands where he was getting ready to head to the ABCs.

With boats of this vintage, it's all about condition. Ports, hatches, decks, steering, engine, rigging, tanks, wiring, etc. need special scrutiny. For owner reviews go here:

HunterOwners.com

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 09:51   #4

Thanks, TexSail and Slomotion........I did check out the site.....everyone says good things about the boat! Thanks!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter