Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24   #1

Boat: Hunter 34 - Rapid Transit
Opinions on Hunter 34 (1983)?

I'm about to buy a Hunter 34 1983 and from I read it sounds like a good boat but I was curious to see if some of you have any comments on it.

Thanks
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43   #2

We cruised an '83 H34 in the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean for 2+ years. They are fast and roomy for their length and vintage and make an excellent platform for coastal/island hopping style cruising.

These boats are now 25 years old and it's all about condition. Ours was 16 years old when we bought her. She was in very good basic condition, but we spent almost as much as we paid for her on cruising additions and upgrades. In the end she served us well and we had more trouble with the new equipment than we ever did with the basic boat. Typical problems are similar to those of other older boats - hatch, port, companionway leaks, mast step, stanchions, etc. For more info, go here:

Hunter 34 owner reviews
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:07   #3

My wife and I have one and love it! BUT!!!!!!!

If you plan to cross oceans or make long passages into heavy weather this IS NOT the boat for you.

We're Great Lakes sailors and feel very confident in our boat. That said, I wouldn't cross oceans and wouldn't want to pound offshore for weeks. It's just not made for that stuff.

The mast rigging is B&R with a split backstay. Kind of in-between the backstayless new stuff and the unswept/backstayed rigs.

Sailing downwind with the backswept spreaders is interesting because they limit how for you can sheet out the main before it starts to hit em.

Main problem area is the mast compression post. It can rot and cause the deck to sag. Go to the Hunters Owners site as posted and research how to check for problems. They have a great tutorial on how to repair it if found but it is a big job.

The 83's also had a smaller rudder which had some problems. Check it well for delamination and water intrusion.

I love the Yanmar and see 6knots burning 1/2 gallon/hour or less.

This thing turns on a dime and handles like a much smaller boat.

My wife likes the interior space thus I TOO LIKE IT (if you know what I mean).

So far the Origo Stove is perfect for our needs. In fact, last night my wife baked a wonderful meal of mexican style chicken breasts on a rice bedding. It was one of the best meals I've ever had and eating it as the sun set over Milwaukee was icing on the cake!

Good luck with your purchase. Many people frown on Hunters so be prepared for some ribbing and down right hostility (no real sailor would set foot on a Hunter). Deb and I just nod our heads and set off to enjoy OUR boat.
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28235Pilot View Post
The 83's also had a smaller rudder which had some problems. Check it well for delamination and water intrusion.
One of the reasons I love Hunter support: I was talking to them about what I thought might be a cutless bearing issue when the guy asked me to take some rudder measurements and call him back. When I did, he advised me that my boat was one that had been mistakenly fitted with an H31 rudder. There had been a recall and they honored it 15 years later by sending me a new rudder! They didn't pay for installation but still, I was impressed.

Otherwise I agree completely with PA28235Pilot.

Also, nothing wrong with the Origo stove, but we had to replace ours with propane because you just can't get alcohol fuel in the Bahamas/Caribbean.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
PA28235PILOT,

I TOO LIKE IT, if you know what I mean,

NO, none of know what you mean. Can you be very specific?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50   #6

Great boat
Crappy boat
Would cross an ocean in one
Wouldn't cross an ocean in one
Tight as a drum in a storm
Will fall apart in the slightest blow
Great technical support from Hunter
Lousy technical support from Hunter
Comfortable cockpit
Uncomfortable cockpit
Good for liveaboards
Only good for weekends
Great for coastal cruising
Wouldn't sail one on a becalmed lake
Appeals to certain individuals(other Hunter owners)
Many individuals don't find them appealing(non Hunter owners)

Did I get em all?
I'm sure there's more. Feel free to add your own.

BTW, I owned a 30 & 37 Cherubini model. Fine boats
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 13:02   #7

Goldie

LOL

That about covers it.

FWIW: If own/fly a Cherokee (plain vanilla pickup-truck type airplane) and I just bought another MINI-VAN. I'm not into what other people THINK of my purchases. They're what I want (well rather what my WIFE will put up with).

Imagine - no details, but that interior space has been well used :-)
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 17:42   #8

Boat: Hunter 34 - Rapid Transit
Hey thanks a lot for all the comments! I just discovered this forum and I'm happy to see so much action.

My biggest worry about the boat is the compression post. I looked at the Owner's forum and I saw the thread on how to change it and I know for sure it's something I don't want to do. I already know the strut has to be changed as well as the cushions and the sails. Even if I'm getting a good deal, the compression post is where I'll draw the line.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter