Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15   #16

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Onan or Northern Lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
I paid $8,400 in 2015 for a new NL 6kw. Retail at time was around $11+.
Where did you buy yours?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Where did you buy yours?
Miami boat show. His name is Tom 786-344-0204
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 13:14   #18

Had/have both, Northern Lights by far.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 19:08   #19

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Onan or Northern Lights?

I have a 5kw Northern Lights, new in our Hunter 356 when we commissioned it in 2003. When I bought the boat I wanted the best continuous operating generator made. I was told Northern Lights was the best and that is why I selected it. We use continuously when not at the dock to run all our onboard AC systems. Our16000 BTUH HVAC unit is our largest load and then our HWH when anchored. I have 3138.4 hours on it as of this weekend, and have just spent our 999 th day on the boat. All I have done are regular oil changes, regular impeller changes, one belt, a valve adjustment and new injectors at 2124 hours. Most I have run continuously has been 99 hours. Commonly use it for 36-48 hours at a time. I have a soft sound enclosure that was custom made. It's fairly easy to service. I can tell you it has met all my expectations for the last 14 years.

My only complaint is the oil filter is put on sideways and it is tough to get off without spilling a little down the side of the engine. I put it in a zip lock bag with a super oil absorber underneath and jab a screwdriver in it to drain off as much oil as possible before removing the filter. That is the only small defect in my mind this unit has. I have seen kits that will enable me to change the filter to vertical and once I change the oil I forget about it until the next time. It is relatively quiet onboard and in the salon and cockpit. I get about 65 decibels from it. 10 to 15 feet from the boat you can't hear it due to underwater exhaust.

My fuel burn is about .25 gph and 6 gallons per day. I figure we use just over 1 KW per hour when on shore power and our maximum load is around 4KW when the HWH is heating and the HVAC unit is starting the compressor with the TV going. We can max it out if the microwave was operating too, but it has never choked once. We operate without thinking about power management on generator. On shore power with one power cord (we don't use two but have two cords) we do occasionally trip our shore power 30 amp breaker when the HVAC is starting and the HWH is on and we use the Microwave.

To me, the reliability and just turn on and forget is well worth the cost. My wife and I are 69 now and probably will keep this boat until we retire from sailing - which is not anytime soon. I imagine the Northern Lights will go on for many more years as I consider it just broken in good.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Northern Lights