Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 13:25   #16

Re: Old school romantic or New School pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
I'm in with Steady Hand. The Hans Christian is my first (and in my case, only) choice. I need a gal who will love me as much as I love her. An expensive boat, granted... I am selling it all to get myself a 33, headed to the med too, hopefully within a year's time, hopefully less. (i think it has to do with turning fifty, the old-school-thing sets in).

I do not know if you've seen, but there is a Hans Christian boatyard just underway now in Sibenik, Croatia: bottom jobs, repair, parts, repowering, wintering... So far Bob Varga, who runs the yard, has given me all kinds of very worthwhile advice. I will definitely ask him for help with import and registration (he handles this, without certificate of conformity problems to import to EC) and then drop by each year for some TLC.

keep us posted as to your choice!

em
I know Sibenik quite well. I used to work/live in Austria for a while and some weekends I would turn right and go into Italy and others I would turn left and go into Croatia.

I did think of making this a cruising base but the Adriatic is Brrrrrrr Freezing.

It is very picturesque though.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:00   #17

I think I might try to follow my heart. How beautiful is this..

Old 13-05-2015, 08:48   #18

Boat: Gozzard 36

Yep --that's a Gozzard ---modern conveniences with old school beauty--go for it , you won't regret it
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 20:24   #19

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

You should also look at the Bayfield 40 if you're a fan of the Gozzard
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 05:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
I'm in with Steady Hand. The Hans Christian is my first (and in my case, only) choice. I need a gal who will love me as much as I love her. An expensive boat, granted... I am selling it all to get myself a 33, headed to the med too, hopefully within a year's time, hopefully less. (i think it has to do with turning fifty, the old-school-thing sets in).

I do not know if you've seen, but there is a Hans Christian boatyard just underway now in Sibenik, Croatia: bottom jobs, repair, parts, repowering, wintering... So far Bob Varga, who runs the yard, has given me all kinds of very worthwhile advice. I will definitely ask him for help with import and registration (he handles this, without certificate of conformity problems to import to EC) and then drop by each year for some TLC.

keep us posted as to your choice!

em
Howdy Wolfgal (em)!

I noticed you are new to posting here, welcome aboard!

Since you are intending to buy a HC boat, I hope you will start a thread later to give us all some idea of how things are with the new build boats and buying process. There are a lot of HC fans out there and I am sure your experience as you go through the process will interest folks here, me included. Take and post photos too.

On a different topic, I once befriended a "wolf gal" I met out in the woods of wild Denali Alaska where we were backpacking. She was studying wolves (she was a field biologist). She was independent, "handy" (this is a complimentary or appreciative term in the American West for folks who know how to do things), good looking, fit, smart, fearless, and knew how to survive in the woods. So, your screen name brought another good association to mind.

Will that be the name of your future boat? I think it would be a good one.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 06:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
You should also look at the Bayfield 40 if you're a fan of the Gozzard
Yeh, I have been looking.. I am a fan aesthetically. I will try to get on one very soon. I think they are boats I could live on.

I do like new boats such as the Delphia I mentioned. There are a lot of practical pluses but they are rather clinical.

The Delphia 47 would always be a boat and never a home. My question to myself is - Do I need a home on the water? In truth probably not but never the less I am drawn to the character traits of the Gozzards/Bayfields and the notion of old school romanticism they provide.

Who wouldn't want a clipper bow and their own miniature Cutty Sark? (I know - 1000's, but I like them )
Old 14-05-2015, 08:00   #22

What do people in the know think? 1984 Bayfield 40 Aft Cockpit Ketch Sail New and Used Boats for seems a lot of boat for the money.

Could some one tell me please what diesel these use per knot (no wind and no current)? It only has 50 gal capacity but was thinking that at this kind of price you could afford to run it as a motor sailor in light airs.
Old 14-05-2015, 12:37   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Paul, that Bayfield 40 does indeed look like a beautiful boat with lots of nice upgrades. I've always been a fan of Ted Gozzard's designs. Bayfield is a builder with a good reputation. This looks in the listing like a great example.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am could comment on the aluminum tanks for both fuel and water.

You asked what to expect in the way of fuel economy. My boat which is 42 ft and 28,000 lbs nominal with a moderate fin keel and skeg rudder has a Yanmar 4JHE 44 hp engine which pushes her along at 5-5.5 knots (6 if it's really flat which the Pacific usually isn't) at 2,000 rpm on about 3/4 gallon of fuel per hour. The Bayfield 40 has a long full keel and a slightly more powerful engine so I would expect it would use slightly more fuel, but not much more.

Hope that is of some help.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 13:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Paul, that Bayfield 40 does indeed look like a beautiful boat with lots of nice upgrades. I've always been a fan of Ted Gozzard's designs. Bayfield is a builder with a good reputation. This looks in the listing like a great example.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am could comment on the aluminum tanks for both fuel and water.

You asked what to expect in the way of fuel economy. My boat which is 42 ft and 28,000 lbs nominal with a moderate fin keel and skeg rudder has a Yanmar 4JHE 44 hp engine which pushes her along at 5-5.5 knots (6 if it's really flat which the Pacific usually isn't) at 2,000 rpm on about 3/4 gallon of fuel per hour. The Bayfield 40 has a long full keel and a slightly more powerful engine so I would expect it would use slightly more fuel, but not much more.

Hope that is of some help.

S/V B'Shert
That is a great help.. Thanks.

Tags
agm, school