Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2023, 11:22   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Off shore berthing conversion for cruiser

Hi,

I have an Islander Bahama 30 which is a great coastal cruiser that is very kindly in rough seas. I have her in SoCal around Long Beach. I’m hoping to take her out and around San Nicholas Island this summer (just to do it) and to the Channel Islands as well. I want to bring a crew of 3-4 on these trips, which will be 2-3 days (San Nicholas would be possibly two days of non-stop sailing). I’m like my crew to be able to sleep safely when not on watch. There is one very secure quarter berth, and space for two in the main cabin. I’m trying to figure out a way to make the main cabin sedans comfortable and safe for sleep when underway. The fix needs to be secure but temporary. Any advice on how to do so is appreciated.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:25   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Off shore berthing conversion for cruiser

Maybe install lee cloths for each sedan? A piece of sturdy canvas the length of the bunk, attached to the framing under the cushions. When not in use it folds under the cushions. To use it, include some grommets or bolt rope in the cloth, and pad eyes to tie it up securely.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:43   #3

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

Awesome advice, that was just what i needed. I already know how i’m do this. I’ll just need to install a few eye bolts in the cabin and set up the cloths. Easy!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 13:48   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO lee cloths should not be full length of the bunk, for that makes getting in and out quite awkward. A lengty h which supports ones body from around the knee to the shoulder is about right. When done correctly it makes a very snug and comfortable sea berth.

Jim
Old 06-06-2023, 14:10   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO lee cloths should not be full length of the bunk, for that makes getting in and out quite awkward. A lengty h which supports ones body from around the knee to the shoulder is about right. When done correctly it makes a very snug and comfortable sea berth.

Jim
This.

I like them rigged with snap clips with eye ends so you can adjust it while in but easily get out quickly if you want to. Pack clothes into soft sided duffel bags and use them to wedge yourself in. Have at least one good pillow for each crew member. Having fans above the berths is also a good idea as is flexible reading lights. The lee cloths on my Pearson 323 are bolted to the settee frame and stow under the cushion when not in use although we always seem to have one set up just to store stuff like ditch bag, spare gear, etc.. The other side (top of the cloth) clips onto through bolted pad eyes.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 14:17   #6
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Have you ever used netting instead of canvas as a lee cloth? Just wondering if it might be less hot, and still comfortable.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 14:28   #7

I've always used canvas. I'd worry about stuff getting caught on netting. Like belt buckles. or the latch on my tool box as I walk by. I suppose it might would work OK though? I've never been hot because it's canvas. Fans help a lot as does a good set of dorades.
Old 06-06-2023, 15:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Have you ever used netting instead of canvas as a lee cloth? Just wondering if it might be less hot, and still comfortable.

dj
Comfortable? Not! Bare skin out against netting will be pretty uncomfortable, although something with a fine enough weave might be tolerable. Remember, on one tack you'll be hard against it.

Our boat was designed and rigged with lee boards on every berth. A great solution, but figuring where to store the boards in a conversion can be a challenge.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 15:40   #9

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You could always think about slinging hammocks.

Easy to make out of ripstop nylon and pack away to almost nothing when not in use.

You’d need to make sure the attachment points are strong enough for the job.

https://www.hammockforums.net
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 15:44   #10
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Comfortable? Not! Bare skin out against netting will be pretty uncomfortable, although something with a fine enough weave might be tolerable. Remember, on one tack you'll be hard against it.

Our boat was designed and rigged with lee boards on every berth. A great solution, but figuring where to store the boards in a conversion can be a challenge.
Yeah, not sure about that, they make hammocks from webbing, here's one from L. L. Bean. I guess it depends upon the fabric and mesh...

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 22:18   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hi Zach, look for me when you get up to the Channel Islands! (If all goes well, I'll be out there with the kids often.) You got the tips you need about lee cloths, though I would eschew the use of netting personally.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:52   #12

Phifertex mesh might work for you. It's strong enough and the mesh size is very small but it does breath. I've used it for clothes storage bags in the vee berth.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:38   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Depending on where handholds are you might be able to use them for lee cloth attachments. We found that running a line from grommets (we had about five) in the lee cloth around the handrails and then finally to a large jam cleat mounted on a line on the headmost grommet, made it easy to get in and out. On the bottom of the lee cloth we used heavy-duty velcro between the cloth and berth platform (under the cushion)
Old 07-06-2023, 17:04   #14

Boat: O'Day 34

Leeboards or lee sheets are a great idea. After many nights sailing in the Med I found my bunk with the board was cozy and comfortable. With the board in the bunk was barely wider than my shoulders, but I never had to worry about bracing myself every time the boat rolled to prevent myself from getting tossed on the floor. Without the board every time the boat rolls you have to adjust your position to prevent yourself from falling out on the floor.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser