Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 11:27   #1

Need Help Picking a Boat...

Hello everyone...

I have been searching and searching for a boat that would suit our needs but, Im pretty stumped. My partner has considerable sailing experience...I on the other hand, have none. We are mainly looking for something that would be a good coastal cruiser and liveaboard but, also one that is capable of doing trans oceanic voyages. We have about 70k to spend total but, dont want to sink it all in the boat and have nothing left for refitting or repairing. We dont like center cockpits, but, I really want one with an aft cabin. How large do you have to go to get one with an aft cabin and no center cockpit? I really like the Beneteaus and some Hunters... We will be doing some scuba so, a swim step would be good but not necessary.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Thanks in Advance!

ps- Im going to look through some of the saved links on boats I thought would be good and post them here.

1989 Catalina Sloop 34' -- 47k
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1704&url=

1993 Beneteau Oceanis 37' -- 51k
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=54629&url=
Old 22-02-2010, 13:41   #2

OK nevermind on the Hunters...They are now off my list.
Old 22-02-2010, 14:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi... good choice on the Beneteau's well laid out and good sailers, especially shorthanded, tho' personally I'd go for something around 35' and save 10K for the cruising fund.
Not familiar with Catalina's but have seen some disparaging remarks about them on here... to lightweight for a blow.
I've taken 2 Beneteau's across the Atlantic to date, both under 35ft and they were great... did not push them hard and did St Matin to Azores in 21 days... not bad for soloing...
1993 Beneteau oceanis 350 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself.
PS; Relieved you dropped the Hunters...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 14:43   #4

You should consider one of these
Explorer Microcruiser
I had my circumcision aboard a boat just like this.....just fantastic!!!!
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 15:07   #5

hahahaha! What is that?! I dont think thats going to work dniello.
Old 22-02-2010, 15:17   #6

Yeah, but when a special event like that happens.....you kinda feel like anything is possible. I feel the same way about prison.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 15:49   #7

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC
Just bought a caliber 40 LRC. So far so good. Love the boat.

Bob
rnjpinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:12   #8

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
The world's most fun discussion.

There are a lot of variables to consider. And... when you do go cruising, you will find all of them "in play." I have seen every imaginable type of boat in the Caribbean including a 30 foot racing machine with a family of five, mom, dad, and three little kids under 10 yo. Spoke to them for a while. Plenty of room, they say.

First of all. You ought to get a pitter-pat in your heart when you look at your boat. Second, your sailing partner should, too.

That said. Boats are expensive to repair. If you are uber handy, get a complicated boat. If you want to go sailing, buy a boat that doesn't need much maintenance.

Aft cabins are over-rated in boats under 50 feet. Even quarter-berth cabins and under the cockpit cabins. In my opinion. The forward cabin is airy and comfortable in anchorages. Everyone sleeps amidships at sea.

Check out a couple of J Boats that were designed for cruising: The J28, the most perfect pocket cruiser ever. The J34c which is a bigger J28. I had a chance to sail a J28 for ten years and loved every minute of it. Good legs for long range cruising, too.

More to follow.
Norman
averisera.com
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
You know Norm- she said she wanted to pick up a cruising boat. I would be careful giving her advice- she is probably stronger than all of us put together.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 11:26   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I always get tempted by these threads, having gone through the cruising boat buying process fairly recently.

Buy Greg Nestor's book "20 Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere." There are no Beneteaus, Hunters or Catalinas on his list, and there are plenty of perfectly good boats that are not among his twenty. But you should read what he has to say (including the comments from owners) and go from there. It will help you refine your thinking.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:20   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I always get tempted by these threads, having gone through the cruising boat buying process fairly recently.

Buy Greg Nestor's book "20 Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere." There are no Beneteaus, Hunters or Catalinas on his list, and there are plenty of perfectly good boats that are not among his twenty. But you should read what he has to say (including the comments from owners) and go from there. It will help you refine your thinking.
At the moment where I'm sitting ... it depends on his definition of AFFORDABLE.... ehehehehe

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:33   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, for each of the 20 boats Nestor gives a ballpark figure for what you should expect to pay.

The conventional wisdom-- which I believe is correct-- is that if you have 70K to spend, you should spend 40-50k on the boat and save the rest for critical upgrades and repairs. It's easy enough to go on yachtworld and search for 32-40 ft boats under 60K (since you won't be offering full price you can go a little higher with your search parameters).

That's how you find out what's affordable. There's no magic to it.

Af for the aft cabin, they look great at the boat shows but I wouldn't give up my quarterberth for anything. I would suggest something like a Niagara 35, which has a nice double quarterberth.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:57   #13

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Newt: good point. I'll stay on her good side!

Still, the subject rests on what one wants to do with the yacht. We find our boat perfect for the kind of cruising we do now. The amount spent to date is about half the purchase price each year. With our son blowing through a new mainsail and jib every semester...
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 13:21   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sure!

Old 25-02-2010, 14:48   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Blithesome,
My 2 cents - The benes are great, look at the smaller ones too, they have an amazing amount of space for their size. The only concern I have for the benes are the keel bolts, but that is not a bene problem, I just don't like going offshore with keel bolts (there are many boats with keel bolts that cruise). Also, does the bene have a skeg? I'd recommend at least a skeg for an offshore sailboat.

Money will get eaten up faster then you can say "what happened to da money!" So if the vessel you are thinking of buying needs ten thousand in upgrades, double it and you will be a bit closer to the truth.

Have fun and good luck on your boat search.
Erika

PS
have you two looked at the Pearsons? here is one that looks interesting
1985 Pearson 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=