Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 14:58   #1

Question Need Advice, Please

I am looking to purchase my first sailboat to travel. My wife and I have a plan to sell our company eventually or at least our assets. We would like to travel the ICW to get our feet wet for awhile, not sure how long we will linger before spreading our sails to further places. We ultimately want to travel to the Caribbean, Jamaica, Bahamas, well you get the drift of the places we would like to end up for awhile.

My question is as most have had the same, what is the perfect size of boat to make these travels while living aboard? I like room and not cramped spaces while at sea and at anchor. We had looked at a 32-foot vessel but I am still not sure if this is large enough. I was thinking of at least 42-foot.

My second question is of one travels on a 45-foot vessel what (if any) would be the disadvantages?

If someone wanted to circumnavigate what size vessel would this require?

I have watched Deadliest Catch before.....lol
4Winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:08   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Need Advise...Please

I think 42-45 ft is ideal...my wife thinks 55 ft is ideal which is why we sail a Tayana 55!

A 42 ft boat drawing 6ft or less is ideal for the Islands, can get through the Bahamas and will take you anywhere else in the world you would like to go.

For the ICW mast height needs to be less than 55 ft.

Maintenance costs are not linear with length and big boats are harder to handle but out in the big blue water I really do like our bigger boat.

Go 42 to 45 and let the boat you prefer make the decision and not the length

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote