Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 06:55   #1

Motorcycle on a Sloop ? Ideas Welcome

I am looking at fixing a motorcycle carrier (like used on a truck's trailer hitch) on the transom of a 48ft sloop. A waterproof cover made of stamoid, or such, would provide a reasonable degree of protection from spray. A ramp would be connected to the dockside end for moving the bike on and off the carrier.

I met a Brazilian yacht in Australia that had a motorcycle lying on its side at the beam of the boat neat the sheet leads. He said that it had worked well over the years, but I don’t like the idea of it potentially interfering with the running rigging.

Any other ideas would be welcome. Surely someone out there has already done something like this, or seen someone that has and could provide help.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 07:09   #2

Re: Motorcycle on a Sloop? Ideas welcome

hi,
i am looking to purchase a 40 ft sloop,for land transportation i have a monkey bike,they are easy to fix very cheap to run and will get you anywhere,here are some links.Monkey Bike UK Home Honda50.com » Z50, CT70, ZB50 and Monkeybike tuning parts.
jerome
Jerome1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 07:55   #3

Thanks for Monkey Bike idea, but I am looking for a minimum of 250cc cycle. After I determine how to carry it and get it on and off the boat, then I will put as big a cycle on as I figure it will handle safely. Probably in the 350 to 400 lb range.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:38   #4

Boat: too many

The hardest is getting it in and out of the dink without dropping it in the drink. This is what I built to use ashore. 6 1/2 mile range, 0~45mph in about 2 seconds, weight 108 lbs. As you can see, low CG.
I made a netting bib that I wear for bringing back groceries. It scrunches up and fits in my pocket when not being used.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:58   #5

I think your solution is good, but I am looking for one that can cater for my wife and I doing day-trips up the east coast of the USA and then hops around Europe. We would be doing highway speeds. I would drop the bike off at a fuel dock or marina if we had to anchor out, so the dinghy option is not necessary.
Old 20-02-2012, 12:17   #6

Your right. I'm a selfish singlehander, so generally roll my own for my own needs.
Old 20-02-2012, 13:28   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The hardest is getting it in and out of the dink without dropping it in the drink. This is what I built to use ashore. 6 1/2 mile range, 0~45mph in about 2 seconds, weight 108 lbs. As you can see, low CG.
I made a netting bib that I wear for bringing back groceries. It scrunches up and fits in my pocket when not being used.

Wow nice set up !!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:39   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In a word, no! OK, you can do it for a short period of time, but motorcycles are not at all corrosion proof, and you will very soon find that almost everything doesn't work because of the corrosion, and you can't do much about it. For example, the disk brakes on most bikes these days quickly become solid masses of rust, and you can't coat them with lubricant or you don't have any brakes. Even bicycles don't last long on deck--the only hope is to store them below or they quickly become unuseable. Sure, for a short trip, do it, but not for long and not with a valuable bike. If you insist on doing so I would opt for something like a Honda Rebel 250 where you can probably find parts and repair help almost everywhere, it isn't too heavy, and the bike isn't worth much. Actually, I'd probably go for something even lighter and simpler like a 125 dirt bike, but it won't last long.
Old 20-02-2012, 13:49   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I carried a 125 honda trail bike on my 38ft. Used to go alongside then take the front wheel off and use a halyard to winch it over,stored it in forpeak, I was singlehanded so space was no problem. Must say, I did have some interesting travels with it. Registration can be a problem , it did a transatlantic and ended up in Antigua.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:49   #10

Ram,

Thanks, it's a hoot to ride. Will out pace my Corvette to 40 mph if you can hang on. If it was a bull in the rodeo, would have a perfect record, 5 friends/family have tried to ride it, and even after a thorough preflight about all available torque at 0 rpm, all 5 wound up on their rear.

Here it is with a battery trailer weighing 500 lbs. I built the trailer because the gasser mini bikes I was racing with decided to handicap me, by having an open road race on route 66 in Arizona for a 50 mile run. Trailer gave me a range with the AGMs on the scooter, of 65 miles.

The Odyssey PC-680s could take a fast charge, so 25 minutes on a 48 volt golf cart charger and your good to go.
Old 20-02-2012, 13:59   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A little off course, but,--some years ago, Derecktor's yard in Dania, Florida added 8ft to the stern of an aluminum, 68ft Burger m/yacht to carry the owner's 2 Harleys.
It was quite a project because they built the extension with a forward bulkhead, floated it to the boat, flooded her down by the bow, and welded the extension on while afloat.
The yard manager at the time, now deceased, was the same guy who taught me to fly a Cessna and a Luscombe on floats in the 60's.

Can you lower it into a cockpit locker with the boom. I once sailed a Sunkiss 47 that could get an inflated RIB in the locker.
Old 20-02-2012, 14:12   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One other point, is that you will get into a heap of trouble quickly if you try to ride around on a bike in some places that isn't registered, etc., in the locality, or at least carries local insurance. Within the USA most places grant you 60-90 days before you need local plates, but in some areas there are all sorts of weird local regs., like the requirement in Colombia to wear special vests with huge numbers on them.
Old 20-02-2012, 14:36   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive had a motorcycle lic for longer then most on here have been alive LOL and for the last 20 yrs Ive been able to RENT motorcycles almost everywhere! and I carry motorcycle Ins from Allstate anyway for my personal bike, so no problems on that ! I mean mexcio. the Pacific major Islands, Europe,and the Med. so carring one is a waste of space and weight !! now I mean I rent larger motorcycles, not scooters. I tryed over the years to carry bikes and Cycles, and have had up to a 66 ft vessel during this time and except for the folding bikes, everything needs to go on deck, which is sure death for things of this sort !! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 02:49   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I am looking at fixing a motorcycle carrier (like used on a truck's trailer hitch) on the transom of a 48ft sloop. A waterproof cover made of stamoid, or such, would provide a reasonable degree of protection from spray. A ramp would be connected to the dockside end for moving the bike on and off the carrier.
Whilst I do like mixing up boats with land transport (really opens up the boat's cruising area!), I think 40' a bit of the small side for that size of bike on the stern.

The bike would need to be fairly high (bottom of wheels / carrier same as bottom of dink on davits?) to avoid dragging when heeled (and that also a fair bit of weight on the stern - so some major structural work involved as well).....The ramp down to the dock (or up?) may be fairly steep (obviously depends on height of the dock!), enough to require some degree of "commitment" when boarding. Be sure to have a webcam operating when loading / unloading .

Transat capability would be an ask.....

.....I suspect this falls into the category of can be done, but just not in a way that works well.

I would go for the option of keeping a bike onshore, and adjusting cruising plans around that - with 2 crew no problem in 1 moving the boat and the other riding the bike around (or them getting a taxi / lift back).

FWIW, I think the best option would be a boat big enough to be able to crane a bike on and off (using shoreside crane) and simply accepting that it won't be a case of bike nipping on and off the boat at will.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 08:47   #15

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Motorcycle on a Sloop ? Ideas Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Of course, this is specific to your boat, but, in general, I'd prefer a crane to a ramp. I just feel like you'd have more control and flexibility for transferring something so large and heavy on and off the dock. Have you seen the big Island Packets? They have a tube that pulls out from inside the boom, to make a crane to take the dinghy on and off the poop deck. I think it would be no big deal to rig this up on a normal boom, and the gooseneck, halyard, and winches should easily handle the weight of the motorcycle.

I read an article in an aviation magazine a while back about folks who fit a motorcycle into a small plane. They had to remove the wheels, but were satisfied with the entire vibe. Maybe that is something to consider -- if there's a way to partially disassemble it and lower it through a hatch, then stash it in your 2nd head, shower, or v-berth (what else are they for?) .

That would be good enough to cross oceans, it wouldn't matter if you have to spend a day putting it back together. For short harbor hops you could drive it, then take a bus or train back to your boat and move your boat.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop