Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 11:25   #1

Morgan 383

I want to buy a Morgan 383 but it hasn't had a Survey. The cost is $20k for the boat and as I undersand they can sell for $40K in good shape.

I am from the midwest but now live on the east coast. This is only my second boat.

How much risk is a Morgan from keel damage or blistering? Would you recommend have a haul out and survey completed?
Gsouthworth55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 12:16   #2

Re: Morgan 383

Can you afford to lose $20k if the boat turns out to be complete junk? Do you know enough about boats, their engines, and their systems to conduct your own survey? If the answer to those questions is "no" then, yes, you need to get a professional survey done.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 14:03   #3

I recall reading the Morgan 383 has a high risk for keel damage as the bilge/holding tank extends to the bottom of the keel at the rear. If the boat was stored on the rear of the keel the weight could cause damage to the "hollow" part of the keel.
Marinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:23   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
I recall reading the Morgan 383 has a high risk for keel damage as the bilge/holding tank extends to the bottom of the keel at the rear. If the boat was stored on the rear of the keel the weight could cause damage to the "hollow" part of the keel.
Precisely how my Cape Dory is built. In this photo taken last October the aft blocking is sitting under the holding tank section of my keel. If your hull is built strong enough to handle it there is no problem whatsoever. My boat has been stored in this fashion every winter for the last 36 years.
It’s advisable to pay special attention to this area on the Morgan to determine if there is any validity to the assertion made above.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

It's not a holding tank but a bilge sump. A really nice to have convenience when sailing in rough weather. Without a good sump bilge water will roll up the sides of the hull soaking everything in the lockers it comes in contact with. The bilge sump is a major positive not a negative

You have to warn the lift driver/marina that the aft end of the keel is hollow and not to put a travelift strap there or blocking directly under the sump area when on the hard.

Always been curious about the Morgan 38 as it seems to be a great design for serious sailing/cruising. The separate sit down shower in the head makes showering aboard useable. The skeg rudder with propellor in aperture really makes sense in lobster pot country. Don't know how they sail but design looks to be something that an experienced sailor would love.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:53   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

I own a 382, basically the same boat. Yes, get a survey, always get a survey. It is an old boat, expect that it may need lots of work.

The Morgan 38x are well build boats. I have nearly circumnavigated, from SF, to the East coast, stopped by Covid and will continue this year. The holding tank can begin to leak into the bilge if it is blocked incorrectly during haulout. Mine is fine, but if it happens the fix is to seal it and install a tank in a new location. Otherwise the keel is very tough, not likely to have any damage from a grounding etc. Blistering doesn't seem to be a big issue. The hull is foam cored above the waterline, solid below the waterline. The decks are plywood cored.

There is a group, www.morgan38.org that is a great source of information. Pretty much anything that can go wrong with these boats has been addressed there. Get the survey, and share the results there and you will be in good shape.

Tags
morgan