Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 10:53   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Mooring choices in Narragansett Bay?

I recently purchased a 57' monohull, 9'-6" draft, 17' beam, approx. 45,000lbs.

We plan to spend the season in New England and would like to keep the boat on the Narragansett Bay. We live in the Midwest and while we will spend most of our time in NE, on board...there may be periods of a few weeks that we will be away from the boat. I am not from NE and don't know much about the area or resources. Based on what I've been able to find, and what's available at the time of this posting...it looks like my limited choices are mooring on the east side of Jamestown.
  • Conanicut Marine Services
  • Jamestown Boat Yard
  • Clark Boat Yard
They currently have moorings available for the season. Out of these three choices, do you have a recommendation? The prices are very much different...but they have all been super friendly and helpful on the phone.

Generally, what about this area? On the map, it looks open and exposed...yet there are lots of moorings...so it must be somewhat acceptable for protection and comfort. Jamestown Boat Yard is the furthest south and tucked in behind the Dumplings...would that be the most protected and comfortable out of the three choices?

Further north, I was unable to find a mooring available for this boat. I've checked places in Wickford, Allen Harbor, and in the Greenwich bay.

For some reason, I feel like I want to be closer to the Atlantic and access to the Islands (Block, Nantucket, MV...etc)....so a southern Bay mooring seems OK....I really don't know. At this point, my choices seem limited to the three above due to availability.

The other concern is security and safety when we need to leave for a few weeks. In case of storms, we may not be able to get to the boat...so we need a plan to help assure it's safety while we are away.

Please share your thoughts if you are familiar with this area. We are very excited to spend the season there and hoping for an early spring!!

Thanks!
IL1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:18   #2

Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Re: Mooring choices in Narragansett Bay?

Have you considered Newport? You can call Oldport Marine in Newport and ask about moorings.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:27   #3

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
I recently purchased a 57' monohull, 9'-6" draft, 17' beam, approx. 45,000lbs.

We plan to spend the season in New England and would like to keep the boat on the Narragansett Bay. We live in the Midwest and while we will spend most of our time in NE, on board...there may be periods of a few weeks that we will be away from the boat. I am not from NE and don't know much about the area or resources. Based on what I've been able to find, and what's available at the time of this posting...it looks like my limited choices are mooring on the east side of Jamestown.
  • Conanicut Marine Services
  • Jamestown Boat Yard
  • Clark Boat Yard
They currently have moorings available for the season. Out of these three choices, do you have a recommendation? The prices are very much different...but they have all been super friendly and helpful on the phone.

Generally, what about this area? On the map, it looks open and exposed...yet there are lots of moorings...so it must be somewhat acceptable for protection and comfort. Jamestown Boat Yard is the furthest south and tucked in behind the Dumplings...would that be the most protected and comfortable out of the three choices?

Further north, I was unable to find a mooring available for this boat. I've checked places in Wickford, Allen Harbor, and in the Greenwich bay.

For some reason, I feel like I want to be closer to the Atlantic and access to the Islands (Block, Nantucket, MV...etc)....so a southern Bay mooring seems OK....I really don't know. At this point, my choices seem limited to the three above due to availability.

The other concern is security and safety when we need to leave for a few weeks. In case of storms, we may not be able to get to the boat...so we need a plan to help assure it's safety while we are away.

Please share your thoughts if you are familiar with this area. We are very excited to spend the season there and hoping for an early spring!!

Thanks!
I haven't been in the are during any big storms so i can't speak from experience on riding a blow in those fields. All 3 have a good rep from what i understand. I know people who keep boats at Jamestown and Conanicut both are long term customers so that says something. If you want to head further north Bristol Marine in Bristol may have larger moorings available.

As an away owner I would suggest you have an agreement in place with a boatyard to help out in case of a storm. Personally as an absentee owner I would feel better if the boat was at a dock but that can get quite pricey in that area.
Old 15-02-2018, 11:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
Have you considered Newport? You can call Oldport Marine in Newport and ask about moorings.
Good idea! Thanks! Just called...they do not have big moorings available.
Old 15-02-2018, 11:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
I haven't been in the are during any big storms so i can't speak from experience on riding a blow in those fields. All 3 have a good rep from what i understand. I know people who keep boats at Jamestown and Conanicut both are long term customers so that says something. If you want to head further north Bristol Marine in Bristol may have larger moorings available.

As an away owner I would suggest you have an agreement in place with a boatyard to help out in case of a storm. Personally as an absentee owner I would feel better if the boat was at a dock but that can get quite pricey in that area.
Great info! Thanks for sharing! I just called Bristol Marine. They took my info and will call back. They will start mooring planning next week. Uhg! But it is 2-3hrs from the mouth of the Bay....but on the other hand...it is 2-3hrs from the mouth of the Bay! Not sure what I really want...haha!
Old 15-02-2018, 12:12   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Check out Dutch Harbor Boatyard - it's a mile away from "downtown" Jamestown and probably lower priced than the Jamestown/Newport scene. It's also more sheltered.

Jamestown/Newport also get a bit of chop off the channel, and Jamestown gets a reversing current with the tide changes that cause the mooring balls/tackle to rub the bows in a (mild) wind-against current. If it's balanced, the boat can ride sideways or sail against the ball, or even spin around the ball in different ways than neighboring boats -- so you need to have appropriate spacing and/or similar neighbors.

Also -- check the west shore (e.g. Wickford and East Greenwich). More sheltered.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:46   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I too would look,at Dutch Harbor. I've had my boat on a mooring in EG for 30 years but your draught is a bit deep for that part of the upper bay. I see 8-9 foot depths at low tide. Bristol, Dutch Island, Newport are possibilities. Most of the other harbors are mostly private mooring fields administered by the local municipalities, as mine is. Allens harbor entrance is too shallow for your boat. Wick ford has a long wait list. Upper bay has more opportunities but you better have good knowledge of the shallow areas. With a deeper draught. If you would consider upper bay let me know and I could name a couple marinas that might work for you.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 08:53   #8

Boat: Contest 50CS

I had a mooring a Clark They provide full service and are very friendly and good parking. Jamestown boat yard is great for larger boats such as swans 50+ ft. They do not like you to use outside services. Conanicut marina have the best location but are crooks and were not happy with them. I Used to live in Jamestown.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:17   #9

I've become aware of Prime Marine (formerly Nortons) in Greenwich. I read about them in a cruising guide and they can accommodate my 57'. At this location, I'm considering a slip. On the map, it looks well protected for the most part except from the north east and might be fetchy across the bay?

Any comments on this location and this marina?
Old 16-02-2018, 11:31   #10

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I was in new bedford last year. Not a bad option especially because vineyard is 2 hour sail, and you have plenty of coves and beaches to go to along buzzards bay and vineyard sound. And Nantucket is one ebb/flood away. I live in RI and newport just became way too expensive and exclusive for what i wanted.

Diane Stevens
Whaling City Expeditions
13 Hamilton Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
T. 508.984.4979
www.WhalingCityExpeditions.com
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:52   #11

Boat: Hylas 49

East Greenwich is a great town, but the Bay is its own micro-climate with lots of wind and short chop. May not be an issue for your boat, but it affects smaller craft!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:03   #12

I would echo the Dutch Harbor recommendation over the other side of Conanicut Island. I spent one season at DHBY on a mooring and loved it. There is too much chop, tide, lights and traffic on the other side, in my opinion. Last year I was on a pole mooring in Wickford, which I also loved. But it's pretty shallow inches out of the channel there so probably wouldn't work for your draft. A slip in EG sounds good or you could check out Portsmouth. My most favorite spot though will always be Newport, if you can afford it.
kimwindjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:26   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
I've become aware of Prime Marine (formerly Nortons) in Greenwich. I read about them in a cruising guide and they can accommodate my 57'. At this location, I'm considering a slip. On the map, it looks well protected for the most part except from the north east and might be fetchy across the bay?

Any comments on this location and this marina?
They also have a number of moorings in the north field as well as inside the sandbar where it's more protected. The moorings are less expensive and as long as their well maintained a bit safer in a blow.
I have one further up the cove and have had no problems with storm issues, but my mooring gear is good and well maintained.
The Bay tends to have relatively flat water with good wind, except in the heart of the summer where the upper bay suffers from a lot of light wind days.
One other advantage, the opposite shore is all park land, there is a nesting pair of hawks in the anchorage, I haven't had one bit of cormorant poop on my deck in ten years.
Oh, and there's a really good local pub next to the marina, McKinley's has Guinness on tap.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:35   #14

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

Another alternative is Point Judith Marina, in Salt Pond, just east of Narragansett Bay. 10 minutes to open water. Exploring Point Judith | Rhode Island
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 13:13   #15

Take a look at Pirate Cove in Portsmouth. Excellent small family run boatyard with well maintained moorings. I kept my 55' boat there for several summers. I still stop every June on my way north to Maine for a haul for bottom paint and whatever. Last year they replaced a cutlass bearing. They know sailboats. Substantially less expensive than the places closer to Newport with, I believe, better quality.

Pirate Cove is just 1/8 mile from a Rt 24 exit and is 30 minutes closer drive than Newport to both Boston Logan airport and TF Green. On a summer weekend, Newport traffic jams can be horrendous.

Sailing, it's a straight protected shot out the Sakonnet River to Buzzards Bay. Coming home beating into a nasty summer SW wind, you'll love turning into the protection of the Sakonnet River instead of another 2 hour slog up to Newport. Unfortunately, if you mast is over 65' you won't be able to go north from Pirate Cove to the rest of Narraganset bridge as there is a bridge at the north end of the harbor. You'll have to go out the Sakonnet and back in at Newport.

Look at Bristol. It's a lovely town.But the harbor is wide open to the prevailing SW wind and it can be quite uncomfortable many summer afternoons on the morning.

Home - Pirate Cove Marina
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring