Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 18:08   #361

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
It would not be the best scenario for me but if the chatter on here about your problems scares the wimps away, or even those that should know better, I'd fly out from New York and help you south and then fly home.
You got more guts than many of the "men" on here.
Old 30-01-2011, 18:10   #362
cruiser

pvc cable saw - Google Product Search

this is a 'copper pipe' cutter, but I am positive it will work for glass as well...

the trick is to not tighten too much just touch the pipe/glass and spin it a few times then a quarter turn to tighten then spin back and forth a few turns and repeat until all the way thru

or you can use a dremel.... cause after you cut the glas and bronze you will need to split them to get them off or discoonnect the shaft
Old 30-01-2011, 18:11   #363
cruiser

Hi, my name is Bill, I am a wimp.
Old 30-01-2011, 18:14   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
Hi, my name is Bill, I am a wimp.
Cheeze Berg, you're not going to tell (the mods) on me again are you?
Besides, this isn't about you.
Old 30-01-2011, 18:16   #365
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
roflomfao
Old 30-01-2011, 18:27   #366

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Hahahaha! I love the humor of everyone on this thread.

Maybe I'm just too naive to know better, but isn't a little calculated risk part of the adventure of living at sea?

Zee I'll be down this week and I would like to get my eyes on the problem myself and see what might come to my mind about it all.

One way or another we make sail for points south in March!
Old 30-01-2011, 18:28   #367
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Cheeze Berg, you're not going to tell (the mods) on me again are you?
Besides, this isn't about you.
no, i wont tell on you this time... I fogot wh you were, but thanks for reminding me...

gotta work on my memory excerises...i hate it when i forget who effs with me...and mistakenly treat them like i treat my friends...
Old 30-01-2011, 18:33   #368
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Hahahaha! I love the humor of everyone on this thread.

Maybe I'm just too naive to know better, but isn't a little calculated risk part of the adventure of living at sea?

Zee I'll be down this week and I would like to get my eyes on the problem myself and see what might come to my mind about it all.

One way or another we make sail for points south in March!
yes, calculated risks are all good... but, it is the 'formula' for that calculation and or the 'tolerance' level for risk...

starting off with a leaky boat into open water is something i would not want to face unless i had to...fortunately, I am in a position NOW, to be able to handle similarly priced problems should they arise... not to say it in any 'snooty' manner or anything.. but, again, it comes down to 'having to' go out into open water...

In going back to the 'corporate' pricing... I am imagining that they would be 'standing behind thier work. and that the work would be done as correctly as can be, or the company would risk liability...

I am sure you wont be getting much of a warranty for anything 'gerry' rigged.... but again, it is a function of money...

I dont know the actual issues with sailing with it as it is... but, the suggestions of having back up bilge pumps and all that, just seem to be a cost that should be used to fix the boat, not the symptom...

anyways... I am sure karen will not risk her cat or herself.. so it must be good...
Old 30-01-2011, 18:54   #369

I just knew I'd heard Burger's song before.
C'mon. This is some funny chit!
Love ya Bergovoy-

I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin' while
my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le,
In trouble or in pain.
With the thoughts you'll be thinkin'
you could be another Lincoln
If you only had a brain.
Oh, I could tell you why The ocean's near the shore.
I could think of things I never thunk before.
And then I'd sit, and think some more.
I would not be just a nothin' my head all full of stuffin'
My heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a brain.
Old 30-01-2011, 20:33   #370
cruiser

how did i go from cowardly lion to dumb ole scarecrow...
Old 30-01-2011, 20:49   #371

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Well obviously the risks you decide to take are based on whatever the current situation is.

No one wants to run into problems. And I anticipate that all will be well here. I like cats too much. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Old 30-01-2011, 20:50   #372
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
now boys...
\ nothing is gonnabe jury rigged--is all gonna be legit and correct. just not done in a pricy yard in THE most pricey place to have a boat in the world. not necessary to do folks like that. am following instructions of folks who have done htis repair on formosa/hardin/ct 41 before mine. i amnot taking any chances--that is what all this started out anaccountabecauseof. so i is gonna get it done correctly ina proper manner but using plugging techniques and a diver for backup and get the shaft either glassed or shortened--ia m leaning on the glassing side harder and harder as it doesnt mean cutting and prayers. just strengthening and solidifying and creating a shoulder for the lasdrop system.and i dont have to remove the board/beam.bulkhead. SO..........methinks some cpe for the beam, and i am on a roll??/
but,on the other hand, the other packing gland system is easier to install--involves prayers and cutting things... and systems known to fail.. but they work for a few months first. i was also advised that they fail due to lack of use. ok. got that0--wont happen to mine that way.....as my location for this system is easily accessed, will not be a problem in future. this is a 35 yr old system that was unloved for a bit of time. then i found it. there is a place wherein others with my boat type have done this and recorded the methods and results. is where i research--must check one more time before i go with a system--is a big step. i only have me to rely on and my brane is sploding by now with this stuff. and boatkat duzent liek wet bedz, so it has to be correct.
Old 30-01-2011, 20:53   #373

Sounds like you are bung very reasonable and responsible to me zee!

Can't wait to come visit the bird this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Old 30-01-2011, 21:02   #374
cruiser

i guess my analogy would be driving a car thru the desert with a leaking radiator...

you can carry extra water, and have someone on termperaturewatch and all that, but if i had a choice i would not 'carry extra water' , and buy extra jugs for more xtra water, but, actually have the leak fixed...

again, i understand that not everyone can afford to do this and they have to limp across the desert to hopefully get to their friends garage or whatever.. but it isntideal... and if can be avoided it should...

I know sailing in general is a bit more 'expensive' then owning a car, and am not surprised at the number of boats that are owned by liveaboards that dont sale and things are falling apart but it is cheap rent, and all that..

but if they wanted to take them into the open water, i would 'discourage them' as well... (after I try to help them figure out if they can get whatever fixed or whatever support they need)...

my understanding, which maybe off base, or rather without foundation, i.e. experience is that in open water, things are a matter of life and death... and we arent talking about a leaking hatch, or port..

I guess i would like to hear from other sailers who have had 'leaking or other potential fatal issue', go out and risk it, vs biting the bullet and getting it fixed, or just waiting until whenever, (hell freezes over), rather then go out in open water???

I have heard from others on other discussion about not having 'schedules' and staying and waiting until things like weather, or provisions, or deck hands or repairs or whatever. and they do this in various ports in various countries...

time and departure dates arent the deciding factor...and only lead to frustration and missed schedules.. and or having to travel in inclimate weather and or under less then ideal circumstances...

but like you said, everyone has different levels of risk tolerance, and i am admitted scarety cat, in that i will risk only what i can afford to lose...
Old 30-01-2011, 21:06   #375
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
how did i go from cowardly lion to dumb ole scarecrow...
That was pretty funny, Berg.

Zee, I figure you know your boat and what's going on with it. Hopefully, you won't set sail with a boat that is not seaworthy....it isn't worth the risk to you, your crew, or your vessel.

In the words of GordMay...."If you didn't have time/$ to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

Or as my dad taught me....any job worth doing, is worth doing well.
Closed Thread