Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 16:06   #16

Re: Marine survey for Liability!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
By "smarter" did you really mean "knows how to protect themselves from every possible situation known to man, including damage caused by meteor impact, no matter what it costs their customer"?

How could it cost them millions when I only have 300k in coverage?

BTW what type of "marine services" do you offer? I'm guessing it's surveys or insurance lol
This is funny- only because Boatpoker is a well known surveyor.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 16:26   #17

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Boat U.S. protocols seem to be ever changing. When I went to insure one 26-foot boat with them I kept getting conflicting answers depending on who I spoke with. It may be worth talking to another rep reading the survey requirement to verify that you received the correct information the first time. When I got liability only insurance with them, no survey was required, but that was some time ago.

I get a sense that Progressive is more oriented towards boats like yours so it wouldn't surprise me if they are a better deal. I think Boat US really has no desire to insure smaller boats.

Another thing about the rate comparison is that the tow services each includes may be very different. What tow services for example are contracted to work with their sign and glide policy?
I'm starting to wonder if the person I talked to knew what they were talking about. Why did she mention the state required spill coverage of 800,whatever thousand dollars? If required by the state, why doesn't the state require boating insurance at all?....sounds like a commercial boat requirement to me...

The tow service is the only thing I really care about. The liability is just for the marina. What concerns me about progressive tow insurance is it's only 30 a year and they give no details about WHO they use to tow the boat. Surely they can't provide the same level service as seatow or boatUS for only 30 a month unless they are banking on a ton of people signing up. Thats what had me thinking I could just get their insurance and become a seatow member(nothing against boatUS towing, seatow just seems more popular here)
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 06:16   #18

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

I got liability with progressive 300 and some and tow with boatus 181....west marine membership included $450ish. I think my liability is 300000 or 600000.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 07:50   #19

I'm insured with Seaworthy; they are affiliated with GEICO. Getting coverage was fairly painless and the premium is reasonable.
wgewaldii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:02   #20

I used to have seaworthy on my catamaran. I didn't think about checking with them.
Do they offer tow insurance?
Old 27-01-2015, 08:07   #21

Quote:
I used to have seaworthy on my catamaran. I didn't think about checking with them.
Do they offer tow insurance?

Sorry, don't know. Or don't think so Insured for loss and liability.
wgewaldii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:09   #22

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

We gave up on " Boat U.S." we got great insurance with NO SURVEY on our 1972 Pearson sloop, with Progressive. Very satisfied with this company, we have them cover all our needs.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
We gave up on " Boat U.S." we got great insurance with NO SURVEY on our 1972 Pearson sloop, with Progressive. Very satisfied with this company, we have them cover all our needs.
Thanks. I will probably go with them. The process to get a quote was like night and day compared to the other two places I've tried.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:08   #24

Boat: Coronado 23

I have a few boats insured threw state farm, the cheaper ones didn't need a survey for insurance. The more expensive one, I had a survey done when I purchased it so I provided it to them without them asking. Although he said it would be needed for the larger policy I wanted. But I would say that you should shop around and see what requirements each has. I wouldn't pay for a surveyor for my other boats either.
kdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:44   #25

Hi Vinny Yes that is full coverage for the bass boat, but note this thru my reg ins. co. we have everything with other than our 37'er, which is through IMIS. When you broke it down up previous I see why it is so much!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 12:43   #26

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I have a few boats insured threw state farm, the .
I am also with State Farm for Liability only. I could have gotten $500K for about $50/year but got $1 Million instead for about $100. Hard to beat the price and now survey was needed. I am covered from Ensenada to Glacier Bay, AK.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 16:55   #27

Boat: Various

Quote:
Why?

I really wanted to go with BoatUS for liability/towing insurance at my marina, mainly due to the good reputation they have for towing insurance. I thought I could save some money by lumping liability together with tow insurance.
I was in shock when the representative informed me that they would require a survey for liability. She had no explanation for why other than "it's our requirement for any policy".
Even after I get this hypothetical survey done, their policy for minimum coverage with towing is 357 a year.

Progressive has the exact coverage and they also offer something called "sign and glide" which I suppose is their version of seatow or boatUS membership towing insurance. They don't require a survey and it's only 134 a year VS BoatUS and their 357 a year.

Now, I think it is worth mentioning that this is a 2500 dollar boat that I threw an outboard motor on. I'm not too keen on paying someone 800+ dollars to come "look" at it for the sole purpose of getting accident coverage to pacify the marina.
I doubt ANYONE with an old, cheap boat like mine would be keen on getting a survey just for liability. I'm wondering how they manage to sell enough polices for liability to even stay competitive. I could understand if this was full coverage, but come on...

I know this seems like a no brainer to go with progressive and I probably will...Only problem is I've read some really bad things about them.

Could they really be THAT bad? 134 dollars a year VS 1200+(if you factor in the survey) for the first year and then 357 after?
With it being liability I doubt I would ever even deal with filing a claim, except for their towing insurance.

I could even just go with progressive for the liability with no tow insurance at 100 a year, get a seatow membership for 167 and still come out MUCH cheaper than BoatUS.

I really don't know what my question is. I guess I am just dumbfounded as to why they would require something so ridiculous for liability coverage... I hear it is pretty standard so kudos to progressive for not being totally anal.
Potential environmental and salvage costs and the fact it's a $2500 boat makes that more of an issue instead of less. The potential claim could be many times the insured value of the boat. That, of course, is also true just of a collision. A cheap boat doesn't mean the other person's is. But the reason for survey is they want to insure it is seaworthy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 17:00   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Maybe BoatUS actually pays out on claims and therefore is more careful than companies with tight pockets.
Old 27-01-2015, 17:08   #29

Boat: Various

And you're comparing some apples to oranges. You're talking about Boat US's tow insurance which is a significant value and a must have as opposed to just a regular liability policy. You need to separate that in your comparison.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 17:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I got liability only from BoatUS with no survey at all! I don't have towing though, since I try to stay off the bottom, usually with some measure of success. All the other insurers I spoke to wanted a survey. I wonder why the unequal application?
Benz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, survey