Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49   #1

Boat: C&C, MK1, 27
Making Your Own Cradle

Hi there

Does anyone have any advise or information on building your own boat cradle? My family is pretty handy...

Are there kits?
Are they simple to make?
Is it worth the trouble? Should i just buy one?

Thanks!!
k8ekotzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Depends on the purpose of the cradle. But stick forms work real good for getting the shape of the hull.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04   #3

Boat: Bayfield 29
I had one welded up on some rough plans that I had been given. It should be fairly simple. I had it made so that it came apart. You could just measure an existing cradle on a similar boat for dimensions.
jskrypek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45   #4

Boat: Irwin 40
I have built several both wood and metal. Alot depends on the use and the type of boat you are building it for. Give some more info and we can give you more help.

What type of boat?
What do you plan to do, winter storage or ship to Asia?

Fair Winds

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
One option is to haul your boat out at a yard and then make the templates for the hull supports out of strips of door skin held together with hot melt glue.

Or you could call the manufacturer to see if he has any or knows of any existing hull supports. I have only seen the racers with custom made hull supports that distribute the weight of the boat over large surface areas that prevent hull deformation for relatively light hulls. You probably only need a frame with adjustable supports with relatively small support pads.

Or instead of having to get fancy with the hull templates in making a custom frame or trying to find a custom frame, you might also be able to buy an existing frame that has adjustable supports...similar to what boat haulers use.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 13:08   #6

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Katie,you are in luck,i have a factory built cradle that came with,of all things,a C&C27 mk 1 that a friend of mine owns.I had told the story on your other thread of borrowing a cradle and a trailer to pick up my Lindenberg 26 E bay boat,well this is the cradle i used which i ended up owning,anyway i no longer use it as i replaced it with a trailer,i would be A/ interested in selling it,although i suspect you are too far away to make that practical or B/ take all the dimensions and some pictures so you can duplicate it yourselves.It is a universal type steel cradle made out of fairly light channel and tube.We have hauled the C&C27 from Chicago to Duluth,a C&C24 from Connecticut to Duluth,the Lindenberg 26 from Chicago without problems,all on a 7000lbs flatbed trailer.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 17:28   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Some boat makers publish their cradle plans. Otherwise, look at one still standing after a good storm, understand how it works, and copy the design.

I am not sure all marinas / boatyards allow for custom-made cradles, but depending on how bureaucratic your country is, you may be able to keep the boat in your own cradle, in your own backyard.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 22:10   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Absolutely...I wouldn’t think twice about building a cradle.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 19:41   #9

Boat: C&C, MK1, 27
Thanks everyone! We are now also looking into have a custom made trailer instead......All of the advise is much appreciated.
k8ekotzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 10:30   #10

Re: Making Your Own Cradle

WELL i am building one right now but i have a catamaran .. so it depends what type of boat you are trying to build it for ... i am flipping mine over on its deck i have carpet now on it and building the bow cradle ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	craddle.jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	34832  
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 11:23   #11

I need to pre fabricate a shipping cradle for a Cal 29. And I don´t have the luxury of having the vessel at hand to do it. The info on Saildata.com doesn't have much data on hull shape or cutaway elevations seen from the bow or stern ends. Any idea where I could find such info? TIA
gandoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 20:43   #12

Boat: Ontario 32

Katie,

Make sure that you get a quote on the trailer from the Marine Cradle Shop, north of Toronto. He has been the standard cradle-maker for virtually everybody in the GTA for decades now and his prices are usually quite competitive. He has the whole thing down to a streamlined production line, with optional choices. Plus, he knows exactly where to position the pads to line up with the bulkheads for all of the common makes of local boats, especially C&C's.

Also, check with the local harbour-masters in Oakville and Hamilton. They may have discarded or abandoned cradles available at very reasonable cost.
Old 18-02-2021, 21:04   #13

Boat: Two

EDIT: This is a necro thread. LOL.

You're ideally located for this project.

Check out Metal Supermarkets (pricier) or Beach Road Steel. For ideas, drive down to Lasalle or Bayfront Park and take pictures of the cradles.

Unless you're an experienced welder, use bolts. Grade 5 or 8 bolts are plenty strong for this project. Plus, you can design it as a folding cradle that stores more easily.

For the levelers, swiveling scaffolding levelers and a matching nut will work well.

A drill press and chop saw would be great.
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:56   #14

I agree with perfect pirate. After 1st year with my boat, I checked and lucky enough there was an abandoned cradle for a 29 ft something. Bought for $200 from the club, spent the summer scrapping and wire brushing. 3 coats of a really good marine paint and 7 years later might have to touch it up a bit. I did install 2 more screw pads, just because its easier when painting for launch, that was $100 for the welding. Its an old one but "I" beam construction, If you find one, take a good ball peen hammer, hit it hard in many places. Paint may flake but you should get a good ring for a good cradle.

Tags
cradle