Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 05:56   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Lowest Cost on the Hard Summer Storage in Northeast USA?

Doing a little financial spreadsheet to find out what path to take now that things are different and it's not a good time to sell a boat due to people being nervous.

One option is to continue working on the catamaran in Florida and put the northern boat on the hard for the summer.

Looking into all options and that's on the list as well as taking the mono out all summer to enjoy it.

What's the lowest cost yard you can think of in the northeast to haul a 50' cutter rig with 5'5" draft? Anwhere in NY, CT, RI and NJ works for me. If it's really really cheap, I'll go a bit further.

Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:59   #2

Re: Lowest Cost on the Hard Summer Storage in Northeast USA?

You know what? A low cost mooring would work too.

Thanks!
Old 21-03-2020, 06:40   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Not sure of their cost, but Rex Marine in Norwalk, CT does good work. I know there are also moorings in Norwalk harbor, but not sure who to talk to about one. Same story for Stamford harbor in terms of moorings.

That isn't the cheapest general part of the world though. Further north up the Hudson and into the great lakes will likely be cheaper, but depending on where the boat is now, it's a bit of a trip. Your timing for when you want to store it will also determine what your options are.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:44   #4

Boat is at the Statue of Liberty. Need to remove it April 15th.

Boat doesn't need any work, just a spot to sit out the chaos of the virus on the hard or a mooring while I work on the Catamaran in this possible decision path.

Unfortunately I have plenty of time since I don't have any work anymore while this chaos unfolds. My business is closed as it's non essential and ordered closed.

Open to private docks and moorings too.

Need April to October storage in this case.
Old 21-03-2020, 06:44   #5

There are a bunch of little harbors on North Shore north of Boston up to Portsmouth which may have empty spots for a mooring. Especially if this economy tanks by the Summer. Many have availability to rent when not used by its owner. Not sure if how to go about finding one unless you drive around asking harbor or dock masters and such.

Just a few years ago, right around the last recession our harbor had plenty of either unused moorings or space to put one in. By as the economy improved the demand went up and now it's a few years waiting list for a mooring. But I hear less convenient fields nearby may still have spots. By less convenient I mean no regular launch service or no adequate dinghy dock nearby.

Take a scenic drive from about Boston to Portland, ME and you should hit a few available spots. Or call ahead to weed out definitely not available places.

Come to think of it - would be nice to have an app that would just list dockage, moorings and anchorages by towns. Just 2 or 3 parameters, nothing else - availability, location and price. No other info clutter. That would go a long way to aleviate the problem of some locations being overfilled while others are underused.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:47   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Watch out for the nonessential business shutdowns. I doubt any yard in CT is so essential. MA is probably not far behind. You may have to go to Maine to find an open yard a week from now.
Not being a pessimist here, just reality.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 07:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Watch out for the nonessential business shutdowns. I doubt any yard in CT is so essential. MA is probably not far behind. You may have to go to Maine to find an open yard a week from now.
Not being a pessimist here, just reality.
Good points.

I've been wondering if my marina will close down and if it does - Will they charge me for a summer slip when I'm stuck 1000 miles away in shelter in place orders or can't get up there due to no transportation or a travel ban?

The annual slip rate is $16,000 there so it's no joke. I store there only in the winter. Then move to more sane places in the summer.

I fear I might get stuck there and charged some insane rate.
Old 21-03-2020, 07:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Yes, I would think most yards will stay full with winter customers. You could try Hugenot YC in New Rochelle, it's in a containment zone so may have to dinghy in and out? The club would be happy to have the money I'm sure as I'm sure they won't be launching members boats but have the docks in currently
Old 21-03-2020, 07:13   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As far as marinas closing down, try to find one that provides services to local police or fuel for a USCG station or something. That'll likely be enough to keep them open.

For that reason, I'm not concerned about the marina where my boat sits closing. The county sheriff's department and state DEC both have their boats here, TowBoatUS is based here, and they're the deepest draft fuel dock in the area (and I think only 1 of 2 places that has diesel). And they're just up the river from the USCG station. So of all of the marinas in the area, they're the most likely to stay open.

Unfortunately, with an April 15th move date, anything north of the Albany / Troy area on the Hudson is a no-go, as the canals won't be open yet.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 10:54   #10

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Chotu: when do you plan on moving your boat? here in CT & would think most of long island & new england, moving boats "heats up" about mid-late April as folks want their boats in the water....and that movement of boats from the hard would make your times/dates to move a bit more restricted thru about mid-June when the rush slows.... A few yards here in the mid-section of CT are; Dutch's BY (Branford) & Brown's BY (Guilford). 2018 summer rates Browns were $12/ft/month + haul/block/launch $19/ft. From what i recall Dutch's was about the same. Both do good work, had my boat at each & currently at Brown's. Down the coast are: Groton, CT; Spicer's, Palmer's Cover Marina, Willow Point, Pine Island. then Mystic, CT; Gwen Mor Marina, Mystic Cove Marine, Browers Cove Marina, Masons Island marina, Old mystic marina/YC; New London: Thamesport marina, AW marina..and on & on.. this is from an old list i compiled so would check to see if all are still in operation. good luck in your move.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 11:01   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

The cheapest places are probably up the Hudson or CT rivers. Midway Marina up the CT river 15 miles from the sound is $33/ft ($1650 for 50ft) for winter storage and likely similar for summer.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 11:43   #12

Boat: Catalina 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Yes, I would think most yards will stay full with winter customers. You could try Hugenot YC in New Rochelle, it's in a containment zone so may have to dinghy in and out? The club would be happy to have the money I'm sure as I'm sure they won't be launching members boats but have the docks in currently
Hugenot is not in the containment area! In the same general area try Echo Bay.
Another possibility is in Tarrytown just above the bridge.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 14:31   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5

carraige house marina , sea bright, nj bout 12-14 ft
Old 22-03-2020, 03:55   #14
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Knight Marine Service Rockland ME from their website (Knight Marine Services: full marina, haul outs, boat storage, maintenance, winterizing and more | Knight Marine Service) for an example:
"Summer storage outside – $22.00 per ft. (June 21 to Sept. 19)"
Similar costs close by. Check out Sprucehead Marine (https://shmarine.weebly.com/)
"Contact us by Mail: Spruce Head Marine
P.O. Box 190
Spruce Head, ME 04859
Contact us by phone: 207-594-7545
Contact us by email: shmarine@gmail.com"
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 04:21   #15

Thank you for the suggestions. Very helpful first hand knowledge.

I'll be crunching the numbers now with these rates.

Sort of emotionally stuck even after the spreadsheet for analysis.

On one hand, we could go use the Monohull for the summer to quarantine away and conserve cash in a survival sense. It's the cheapest option but brings us right into the epicenter of the outbreak. If we choose this, my worry, apart from being in the epicenter, is more Florida theft and general deterioration of an unoccupied boat.

On the other hand, we could stay in Florida and work a bit on the boat doing things that don't cost much money, but have to fight the heat and continuously run generators and air conditioning for the off grid life where it's located. Very hot.

Tags
on the hard, storage