Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 12:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Chartplotter Installation Location

Hello all! My wife and I are the new owners of a 1985 Catalina 27. We bought the boat knowing that it's got a defective Signet Marine SL172 depth sounder (either that or the transducer, not sure).

We recently acquired a Garmin Echomap 74cv plus. It seems that any installation location requires some compromise between practically and how "destructive" the install is. What's your preferred installation location for an instrument like this?

It seems that the options are a.) flush-mount into the bulkhead (most destructive but out of the way), b.) over the companionway hatch (potentially the best compromise - but would need to make sure it doesn't interfere with mid traveller), or c.) swivel mount just inside and starboard of the companionway (would block the companionway when under sail, but "minimally invasive").
SVCeviche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:13   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Chartplotter Installation Location

Is there space to mount it to the steering pedestal (assuming the boat is wheel steered)? If so, I'd be inclined to make / buy a mount for that. Keeps it in easy sight of the helmsman and should be fairly non-invasive and not in the way.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:32   #3

Unfortunately, no. The boat has a tiller. Otherwise that'd be the way to go.
Old 17-03-2020, 06:27   #4

I would go with a swivle mount. That way you could turn it and still view it from inside the cabin with the campanion way closed. While at anchor with the campanion way closed you can easily see if you are dragging anchor. Thinking like during a storm/squal situation at anchor. They Sailboat Story youtube people have a set up like this.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 06:54   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

For your application, would vote for "C" and mount on an arm that could be rotated into the companion way to view when underway. If the end of the arm was a swivel, then could see it inside if needed and could tilt down slightly to reduce sun glare when viewing outside.
Mounting outside will reduce the life of the electronics no matter how well it is sealed up, while keeping it inside will obvious reduce the environmental exposure and make it easier to stow when you close up the boat.

Also good boat choice since the Cat. 27 sail so nicely and are very roomy for that size boat.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:19   #6

Both great points! Hadn't considered the glare or drifting.

We talked about this with a sailor at our marina who said "those who stand in or block companionways are either admirals or a**holes," his point being you never want it blocked.

Does anyone else share a concern about various lines snagging on a swivel arm (potentially ripping it off) or blocking access in and out?
Old 17-03-2020, 08:53   #7

It's probably possible to find a swivel arm that with the right placement, allows the screen to be swung out through the companionway and off to the side, still allowing people to get past it.
Old 17-03-2020, 09:01   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

To detect anchor drag, it is nice if you have an anchor alarm setting. If your chart plotter doesn't have that feature (and if you have tracking capability), you can "paint" your anchor spot by keeping your chart plotter as your boat settles in at anchor.
Wouldn't worry too much about the line ripping out the chart plotter off the arm as long as you are somewhat careful when working the lines.
You most likely will need to move it going in/out of the companionway, but nbd.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:02   #9

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Amazon has one along with one from Defender:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Prod.../dp/B001GLLF3I

I have sailed the Chesapeake for over 30 years and have done water sailing">blue water sailing too. I just can't reason why folks want to constantly look at the chart plotter.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:37   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Mounted in the cabin to swing into companion for viewing.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 12:52   #11

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I built a wooden swing arm that locks into place in both the inside position, and when in the companionway ... it really isn't difficult to swing it out of the way when going through the companionway. Never had a line snag on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA011367.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	210770  
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:01   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

I've done flush-mount on the bulkhead three times now on two different boats, and its been great. Its easy to cut using the Gamin patterns, (cut the line, not inside the lines...I used a mult-tool but a sabre saw works fine), its more rugged than a swivel arm when the seas start to pound, and everyone in the cockpit can see and share the info from the MFD. Good luck and enjoy!
SabreME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 12:48   #13

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
I just can't reason why folks want to constantly look at the chart plotter.
Since I've never had one -- except for a Garmin hand-held micro screen, I guess I agree... I can see their usefulness if suddenly in a strange, narrow channel/inlet (have used my hand-held after-dark for unfamiliar inlets) but generally I find them just recreational gadgetry -- but then our ODay is the first boat I've had in decades that had a depth-finder too (other than fishing boats), so I'm probably out of touch with modernity...

Still, I am thinking about getting a bigger chart-gadget of some sort -- and was thinking of the arrangement of a swing-out for the campnionway too..
Old 21-03-2020, 13:47   #14

Quote:
Amazon has one along with one from Defender:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Prod.../dp/B001GLLF3I

I have sailed the Chesapeake for over 30 years and have done blue water sailing too. I just can't reason why folks want to constantly look at the chart plotter.
I’ve never had a chart plotter outside

I’ve sailed boats with chart plotters outside and find the light pollution distracting and fatiguing

Keel it inside , if you situation needs outside navigation get a pocket iPhone and charts
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 14:24   #15

Quote:
I just can't reason why folks want to constantly look at the chart plotter.

It's not that you want to look at it constantly, it's that it can be very useful to be able to give it a quick glance without having to move or divert much attention from other tasks. Basically, it's a matter of having it readily visible when you want/need it, not that you plan to stare at it.

Tags
chartplotter, installation