Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 07:08   #16

Boat: B423
Re: Lousy Broker

I'm curious where you are and where the boat is. If you've seen pictures and a video and you are still interested, you need to get on a plane. If you can't get there because of COVID, then buying isn't really in the cards anyway.

You'll never fail to get attention when you show up on somebody's door step.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:09   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

No. But brokers respond to other brokers better that direct to buyers. Of course the attention you get from this "free" buyer broker is going to depend on their belief that the buyer is serious.

The whole "the broker doesn't respond" is because there are so many tire kickers out there. I have lost track how many people have posted something to the effect of "I have been boat searching for 2 years and have looked at 50, or so other high number, of boats". If I were a broker and heard something like that I would move along to someone serious.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You....the potential buyer... may not be the only fish in town looking at a particular boat....there are likely other potential buyers in the mix...that may even have come to see the boat or talked to the broker in person.

It's possible you may have burnt some bridges in dealing with this broker. He may be reluctant to speak to you, as it may result in yet another request for more information.

I think most prospective buyers generally "go look" at several boats before deciding.

It's one thing if a prospective boat is on a dock behind the broker's office, but quite another thing, if the broker has to travel some distance to go show it.

Additionally, I would be willing to bet that for most buyers, finding the right boat, likely entails, months of looking and pounding the pavement. Reasons for this are many and varied.

None of us here are in your shoes, so we don't know the exact particulars of your situation.

This can't be the only boat that gets your attraction. Go look at some others as well.

While there are good brokers and not so good brokers, it's a commission based business. Brokers like to know there is light at the end of the tunnel before committing to a trip.

I don't know what boat interests you, but the brokerage fee will be the same. 10% is the standard rate. Of that 10% the broker only gets half, 5%, the other half goes to the brokerage house. If you bring in your own broker, that 5% gets split in half again.

Do some math, If a boat is $100K...the broker might walk away with as little as $2,500, if there are two brokers.
If the boat is $50K, that gets reduced down to $1,250.

The broker may end up showing that boat to several people, and incur a lot of travel time, etc, and when he does finally have a buyer, has to arrange for a survey, financing, etc.
At the end of the day, he will will likely have many hours invested in the transaction.

My take on the matter, is that this broker has likely branded you as a tire kicker. Buying sight unseen and asking a lot of questions does not promote good communications with a broker.

Not trying to be harsh, mean or otherwise, just want you to see the view from the other side.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:18   #19

Brokers do not really know all the facts of a boat. If they do know some negative facts they probably will conceal them. A buyers broker will not change this situation. Your only recourse to find the negatives is to get a surveyor or find the owner and deal with him directly. he will be more honest than a broker and know tons more about the boat.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:56   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

In this market, "Busy" doesn't even begin to describe what's going on in the marine industry right now. I have been triaging calls and emails for the past year. I could hire three more people right now, yet the job applications on my desk have a half inch of dust on them. I'm not a broker, but no one in my area in the marine industry that's worth their salt is in any different of a situation. Every Marina in town has at least a dozen help wanted signs for all trades. If I were a broker in this market I might have to be going with the big money as well first. The smaller cruising sailboat for sale is just not going to be too attractive to a broker to work on. Why sell Pintos when you can sell just as many Ferraris.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00   #21
Marine Service Provider

The above is quite true. Many brokers have boats listed up and down the coast, a long ways from their office. They may never been on the boat either.

When I bought my Beneteau, the selling broker had never seen nor been on the boat, as the listing broker was away on vacation. He had to fly up from Miami to Georgia, on his own dime, to show the boat to me. I had to pick him up at the airport, so that he didn't have the added expense of renting a car. The listing broker was quite miffed, as the selling broker wasn't willing to split the commission with him as his involvement would be zero, but they apparently worked out some kind of deal.

The boat wasn't in town anymore either.
How can this happen you may ask? The boat owner still owns the boat and is free to move it wherever he wants.

It's a tough business to be in.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:09   #22

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If I were a broker in this market I might have to be going with the big money as well first. The smaller cruising sailboat for sale is just not going to be too attractive to a broker to work on. Why sell Pintos when you can sell just as many Ferraris.
I think the original poster did not mention what boat it is or the price structure, who knows, maybe it's $500k? At the very least, I would think common courtesy/professionalism would dictate a phone call at the very least.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:21   #23

The broker will be cautious as to factual representations regarding the boat, due to professional liability and due likely to not having intimate knowledge.

If the boat is of a make and model of interest to you then arrange to go see it in person. Schedule an appointment.

If you pester the broker with a slew of information request beyond the basics of what the broker has published about the boat then the broker will have a tendency to not pursue further engagement with you.

Now when you have scheduled an appointment, then go ahead and provide a detailed list of inquiries to which the broker can provide to the owner / seller to respond in writing to you, for presentation to you at the time of your arrival to personally inspect the vessel.

It is the seller who is the person that should provide additional information, not the broker as the vessel is not the broker's asset.

A broker relays questions to their client for response, the broker is not to be the responder just the messenger.

Do not confuse the purpose and role of a broker, be that broker yours or some second party's broker.

When I have engaged a broker, I make it clear that I and only I am the originator of written and published communications. My brokers are just marketers and messengers, they have no spokesperson role, nor are they decisionmakers.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:23   #24
Marine Service Provider

I doubt very much it's a $500K boat, if it were, I'd say there would more broker interest.

I'd like to know what kind of boat it is, as well as the asking price...and also how far away it is from both broker and OP.....would likely explain a lot.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:26   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I think the original poster did not mention what boat it is or the price structure, who knows, maybe it's $500k? At the very least, I would think common courtesy/professionalism would dictate a phone call at the very least.
I believe in common courtesy as well. But 500K? Doesn't even raise an eyebrow anymore. Working less expensive used boats is a lot more work as well. It's just the nature of the beast right now.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:57   #26
Marine Service Provider

These threads kinda befuddle me, we get a first time OP asking a question, and then they disappear, never to be heard from again ??? We don't know if they have read or understood any responses or have any questions..

Do they get scared off ??....what ???
Old 07-02-2022, 12:29   #27

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
These threads kinda befuddle me, we get a first time OP asking a question, and then they disappear, never to be heard from again ??? We don't know if they have read or understood any responses or have any questions..

Do they get scared off ??....what ???

Some just need to vent their frustrations.

Some have great dreams.

Some don't like the answers, to the point they cop an attitude.

Some are AI bots, some are just idiots, some are looking for a place to hang out and pretend.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:44   #28

Boat: Najad 380

I'm right here brothers. Don't worry yourself. Here is an update. The broker finally called me after a month of difficult communication. We talked for a hour! Asked a few questions most of which he couldn't answer. He gave me the history of the boat and sent me a couple of specific photos I asked for. I have now mandated a survey, rigging inspection and engine verification. This will be done tomorrow, I'll attend parts by video call. I have no problem spending an amount of money to get this purchase right. After I have received a verbal report I will in turn submit an offer conditional to my personal inspection in the next month. The boat is well priced thus my offer will be close to asking. Thanks for your comments.
leveramikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leveramikes View Post
I'm right here brothers. Don't worry yourself. Here is an update. The broker finally called me after a month of difficult communication. We talked for a hour! Asked a few questions most of which he couldn't answer. He gave me the history of the boat and sent me a couple of specific photos I asked for. I have now mandated a survey, rigging inspection and engine verification. This will be done tomorrow, I'll attend parts by video call. I have no problem spending an amount of money to get this purchase right. After I have received a verbal report I will in turn submit an offer conditional to my personal inspection in the next month. The boat is well priced thus my offer will be close to asking. Thanks for your comments.

Not attending the survey is a dangerous move. Find a third party you trust and have them there as your eyes
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:08   #30

Boat: Tartan 4100

Maybe the broker was reading this thread and decided to improve his customer relations??
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker