Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 12:46   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Lazy Jack Installation

Hi All:

I need to install lazy jacks on my Morgan 41 OI. I have seen premade kits online but after watching a few YouTube videos, I think they could constructed prettily easily. Any advice or recommendations for tutorials?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:10   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Lazy Jack Installation

Not difficult. 16 ft boom, mains attach to boom at 12 ft +_, self -adjusting drops at 8 ft and 4 ft. Worth investing in some good 5/16 braid and some brass cringle rings for guides.
Old 24-09-2017, 13:17   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I used 3'16" amsteel. Spliced eyes instead blocks. If I did it again I would figure out a way to move the upper block outward. Our battens get caught in the lines.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:27   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I used 3'16" amsteel. Spliced eyes instead blocks. If I did it again I would figure out a way to move the upper block outward. Our battens get caught in the lines.
One option is to put the block a foot out on the spreaders instead of the mast. This also helps prevent the lazy jacks wearing against the mast if/when they are stowed against it, particularly if they have rings or pulleys.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:53   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
One option is to put the block a foot out on the spreaders instead of the mast. This also helps prevent the lazy jacks wearing against the mast if/when they are stowed against it, particularly if they have rings or pulleys.
That's a good idea. It also sounds like it could be done with one trip up the mast.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 10:45   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Lots of good information on the web but I for some reason I've always kept a copy of this article:
Good Old Boat - Lazy-jacks: mainsail tamers article
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Home brewed mine with brass rings, two small cheek blocks on the mast, 6 strap eyes on boom, a couple of cheap plastic cleats on mast and about 200' of 1/4" line. Installed the cheek blocks about 1/2 way between spreaders and masthead. Used a design similar to this Nautos setup that I got from a now defunct website. When I install them on my new to me boat will loop the lines around the bottom of the boom instead of terminating on each side of the boom. NAUTOS 001 - LAZY JACK A - SMALL SIZE - COMPLETE SET OF BLOCKS & CLEAT | eBay

Stow the lazy jacks against the mast when not in use. Makes for cleaner air flow over the main. Just bring the LJ's forward and hook them under their cleat. No problem with chafe on the sail, boom or mast.

Don't like the tin foil hat antenna look of having the LJ's attached to the spreaders. Never try and hoist the sail with the LJ's deployed in any case. Also question how good they would be at corralling the sail with the angles of the lines being so acute.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:50   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't like the tin foil hat antenna look of having the LJ's attached to the spreaders. Never try and hoist the sail with the LJ's deployed in any case. Also question how good they would be at corralling the sail with the angles of the lines being so acute.
Or not acute? It's a difference of what, 10 degrees? The only function of the lazy jacks is to keep the main on top of the boom when you lower it. Having the top attachments points wider by 1-2' doesn't change the necessary geometry in any meaningful way.

I had stainless rings in my lazy jacks when I bought the boat and they had scarred the mast from banging/rubbing against it when stowed.

FYI I hoist my main quite frequently with the lazy jacks deployed...and with a fully battened main as well. It's a lazy single-hander thing. Not getting the sail and battens hung up on the lines is about how the lazy jacks are designed and a bit of timing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 17:21   #9

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I used this system here.

Tips - Lazy Jacks

Simple, works well & stows away easily,
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation