Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2021, 16:49   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Know any Deep Water Marinas or Docks in Palm Beach or Jupiter

Dear Monohull Cruising Family-

We’re about to go back in the water after a 3 month retrofit at Cracker Boy Marina in Riviera Beach Florida.

We have another week or 10 days to get rid of all the sawdust, store tools etc, get to know knew systems and provision. We would like to do this at a dock where we can also have WiFi as we have to do our day-jobs during the day.

The challenge- We draw 8’9” and have a 90ft mast. Does anyone know or have experience with Deep Water marinas in or near Palm Beach (or slightly north)?

We’ll take any and all suggestions other than to get a shoal draft next time.

Lisa
MrsMeltemiWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 18:13   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Know any Deep Water Marinas or Docks in Palm Beach or Jupiter

Well I'm sure Rybovich in West Palm can accommodate your draft as I've seen sailing superyachts there. Could be pricey though....
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 18:20   #3

Boat: PDQ 41

Maybe Safe Harbor NPB, although I am not sure about the draft. Palm Harbor in West Palm Beach would probably work, but may be booked. There are marinas in Ft Pierce which would be cheaper, but it is not my favorite area.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 18:24   #4

Boat: Oyster 66

Thanks for the info. Yes Rybovich will only tell me availability after I agreed to a price of $4.50/ foot for our sized boat + Electricity- wow! They are also a Safe Harbour Marina.
MrsMeltemiWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 07:51   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeltemiWind View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes Rybovich will only tell me availability after I agreed to a price of $4.50/ foot for our sized boat + Electricity- wow! They are also a Safe Harbour Marina.
Actually, for a daily rate I'd consider $4.50 pretty fair considering the area and amenities. However, if you want to be there a while and can't get a better deal on a monthly rate then that runs into quite a bit of money.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 08:04   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

All marinas in that area are similarily priced. We decided to anchor off the Sail Fish Club on Palm Beach. Its well protected and has plenty of depth. We had a fast dinghy so getting to shore mostly wasn't an issue.

If you need wifi, get a Visible phone or two. They offer unlimited, unthrottled data, for $40 per month, but you you only teather one device at a time. Its still less expensive than a marina in that area. Further it may take more time than you think to get the boat squared away. It took us more time.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 08:53   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
There are marinas in Ft Pierce which would be cheaper, but it is not my favorite area.
Best,
Maldwin
I can only talk about Safe Harbor Marina in Fort Pierce, and my experience with a 7 foot draft. We couldn't move off the lift when splashed at low harbor. I had to wait around 45 minutes before we could move our berth. Coming back one time we grounded going back to our berth. We had to tie up at the fueling dock for a few hours until the tide came back up a little.

Good luck with your search.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 12:40   #8

Can't be north of the Blue Heron Bridge with that tall a rig, so NPB is out. Would not try Jupiter Inlet with that draft, so anything up in that area is out. Sailfish on Singer Island, but price is probably high and the current smokes through there.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 14:06   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Off topic but I am curious what your plans are. Seems that boat is made for the med and oceans but no the east coast.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 14:13   #10

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
All marinas in that area are similarily priced. We decided to anchor off the Sail Fish Club on Palm Beach. Its well protected and has plenty of depth. We had a fast dinghy so getting to shore mostly wasn't an issue.

If you need wifi, get a Visible phone or two. They offer unlimited, unthrottled data, for $40 per month, but you you only teather one device at a time. Its still less expensive than a marina in that area. Further it may take more time than you think to get the boat squared away. It took us more time.
Do you liveaboard or wet storage?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 14:16   #11

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

We draw 7' and it's hard enough finding storage for that. As someone else said, you can't get under Blue Heron bridge so unless you want to go way N and back south everything else isn't an option.

Is 4.50 the transient rate? How much for something monthly?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 14:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Do you liveaboard or wet storage?
Liveaboard. OK for a few weeks.
Old 22-09-2021, 14:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I can only talk about Safe Harbor Marina in Fort Pierce, and my experience with a 7 foot draft. We couldn't move off the lift when splashed at low harbor. I had to wait around 45 minutes before we could move our berth. Coming back one time we grounded going back to our berth. We had to tie up at the fueling dock for a few hours until the tide came back up a little.

Good luck with your search.
Second that on depths at Safe Harbor in Ft Pierce. The channel to the marina is barely 10' deep, and only the face of I dock may have enough depth, but not completely sure about that. Due to your air draft, the City Marina is out. There are no other options, other than anchor off the Coast Guard Station.
Old 22-09-2021, 15:24   #14

Anyone ever wire an electric fuel pump in line with a mechanical pump for filling the racor filter assembly after changing the filters? The mechanical pump is the primary pump. Or are valves required to bypass mechanical pump while filling racor filter asseyblies?
Sabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 16:28   #15

If your at CrackerBoy's, go in and ask them. Palm Beach has a couple, you can get under the first bridge. You can't do anything at Jupiter, you can't get in there inlet. Can't go anywhere on the ICW unless you pull your spar. Regardless, of reported ICW depth, you will have problems in many locations. You are in the location for deep water slips short of Ft.Lauderdale, or around Government Cut. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, marinas, water