Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 12:02   #76

Re: Jib very hard to roll in, no upper body strength!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Turn downwind and blanket the jib with the main. Rolls in easily with no wind on it!
Lockie is exactly right. When I use to sail in the E Caribbean we would sometimes be hit with squalls. Trying to roll in a 44’ boats headsail going up wind was very hard. Fall off and put the jib in the lee or wind shadow of the main (and being careful not to get too close to a gybe). It was easy to roll in. Almost no resistance. If you have no room to fall off, I would go forward, sit on the foredeck just aft of the fuller and pull from there while someone took up the slack. This completely eliminates the drag/friction of all the blocks or fair leads running aft. This can make a big difference. This is all assuming that there is nothing wrong with the fuller. Also some are very sensitive to halyard tension. Too much and it is harder to furl. Too little and you can get a halyard wrap.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:05   #77

Used this procedure on a cruising
cat. Large sails require thought.
Gpser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 14:44   #78

Boat: Morgan 383
Re: Jib very hard to roll in, no upper body strength! -- 2 threads merged

I had similar problems when I purchased my new old boat two years ago. The problem was two-fold: roller furler not completely wound and the sacrificial sail was entangling the the Genoa as it was being furlered. Once the sacrificial was repaired and roller furler wound tight by hand. The system now works smoothly into and off the wind.
PutSon IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 15:12   #79

Boat: Currently boatless, but looking
Send a message via Skype™ to petesals

I had the same problem and found that the 14mm sheets had gone a bit furry and thickened up enough to make them difficult to pull through the open clutches. New sheets and the problem solved 😀
petesals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 19:56   #80

Boat: John Pugh 46 Motor Sailer

Another idea is to use larger diameter furling line. This will build up on the drum resulting in a larger diameter and greater mechanical advantage. Also use low friction pulley blocks with ball bearings. Ease the sheet before you furl and if all else fails you could spoil yourself with an electric winch. Cheers, Rob.
Rob seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 20:11   #81

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
What wonderful counsel, thank you. This morning, in no wind, at anchor we unfurled the jib dropped it all the way, and unwrapped the halyard. We tested the bearings..all smooth and then hoisted it back up, tightening the halyard but not too tight! Then, when we furled it back up ( keeping tension on the sheet to get a tight furl, it was better...but much better if we went to the foredeck and sheeted it in there, as opposed to back in the cockpit. I think we need more pulleys/blocks up front ...so the phsysics is off. We will definitely also furl downwind, using the main to blanket the jib! If its not better when we get home, we will sort it out when we haul her out for winter. Thank you!!
Great! This is what I was going to suggest, but you're smart and figured it out, Good on you.

Keep using that kind of basic problem solving logic, you'll be able to solve any problem.
Old 02-09-2019, 21:36   #82

Is it difficult to furl right away, or does it start off easy and get harder and harder as the sail comes in??
If the latter, then you are likely twisting the forestay, and unscrewing the forestay turnbuckle, as you rotate the furler. This can happen when the head foil slips down the forestay and binds on the forestay swage at the turnbuckle This was a constant problem on my Harken furler until I drilled a hole through the foil and put in a pin to stop the foil from slipping down through the furler drum. Good luck.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03   #83

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

I fixed the problem on our Cheoy Lee 43 pilot house ketch by purchasing a 28v Milawakee 1/2in right angle drill and a winch bit which fits the top of the winch, WRRRR and in it comes!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:34   #84

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
I fixed the problem on our Cheoy Lee 43 pilot house ketch by purchasing a 28v Milawakee 1/2in right angle drill and a winch bit which fits the top of the winch, WRRRR and in it comes!
Thats hilarious.." Get the drill Laura, and bring in the jib"!!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:03   #85

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Lauralee,

Sometimes the bearings get so worn they don't do their job, or they can get jammed from salt crystal buildup. With the sail rolled up, you should be able to turn the foil easily by hand. If you can't, then on a calm day, take the sail out of the furler, and try it again.

If it still doesn't turn, see if you can determine where it is binding. You may have to go aloft to check the top bearing. If necessary, you may have to take the foil off the boat, or hire someone if you are not comfortable with that. We have done it, just be really careful to not kink it.

Ann

Thank you, good practical advice
😁✔💯
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:22   #86
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I hope this does not sound sarcastic.

You should try very hard NOT to be surprised by squalls. You watch the clouds and pay attention to the winds and changes in temperature.

Furling should never be an emergency. That is a fundamental problem. Additionally, If you can furl quickly down wind (10-30 seconds, even on a large boat), you have only lost 300 feet to leeward. In fact, after 1/2 to 2/3 furled, you could even begin to head up again. Unless you are way to close to a lee shore already, it is generally the right answer.

You need to accept that furling up wind in 30 knots is likely to be not just difficult, but impossible, and thus cannot be a part of your plan!!
Old 03-09-2019, 14:18   #87

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Thats hilarious.." Get the drill Laura, and bring in the jib"!!
Well, it may be hilarious, but that's exactly how we do it on Insatiable II! With our Solent rig, we must furl the Genoa each time we tack or gybe. It's a big and fairly stiff sail (Hydranet cloth) and in all but calm conditions a winch is required, and that meant a LOT of cranking which is hard on octogenarian shoulders. The Milwaukee makes it essentially effortless, much faster and kinda a non-event. And it hoists the main quickly and even will hoist me up the mast with Ann at the controls. In short, I honestly think Millie is the best single bit of kit I've ever purchased for the boat.

And by the way, when we're beating up a channel, the idea of turning down wind for each tack (and associated furling) is just not on. In heavier airs we will be using the Solent jib and that tacks normally. In truth, we will often use it even in lighter conditions, just to make tacking "normal". Slower but easier!

Jim
Old 03-09-2019, 14:40   #88

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you have halyard wrap problems, the luff of your jib is probably too short. If you are on a cruise, you can fix this by putting a lashing between the tack ring of the sail and the bottom shackle on the furler.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:43   #89
Jim Kerney, PedPox-Pedestal Pockets

Boat: Sabre 402 Sloop

Adding a question to the thread: I furl (Sabre 402) from a line lead aft down the port stanchions and have a pretty typical (I think) set of small swivel blocks dangling from the stanchions. As per this thread, it can be a bear furling in heavy winds. If I try to get a bite mid-furl to catch my breadth, it is awkward and I often loose ground. Has anyone had luck adding a block with cam for the final block? If so, does anything work particularly well or not?
PedPox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 11:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I find furling far easier when running. Lugging makes it much more difficult
Yah

Come off to at least a beam reach Ease sheet and roll

Be sure all your furling line fairleads are clean and low friction

Moderate halyard tension is best for furlers

The correct halyard to swivel angle is also important ...the halyard and swivel are not happy when the halyard leed angle is parallel to the headstay
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib