Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2022, 16:14   #1

Islander Bahama 30

I'm looking at a Bahama 30 that has been out of the water for about 10 years and has been covered in Michigan most of that time. There is water/moisture above the cabin headliner midships behind the zipper access. It appears as if the deck has no balsa core. Can anyone confirm that? It's about an 1985 model.
Thank you,
Jim Schultz
Jim Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 23:00   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Islander Bahama 30

Hello Jim! I cannot confirm whether that boat has a balsa cored deck, but welcome aboard here!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 05:41   #3

Thank you for the welcome,
Wow, you do have an "old timer" Islander 30. I didn't realize they went that far back! Hopefully I'll get some useful responses to my questions posted. It seems to me that a wet balsa deck core is a "show stopper" for most all deals. How long have you been a member and how useful is the site to you?
sincerely,
Jim Schultz
Cincinnati, OH
Jim Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 17:39   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schultz View Post
Thank you for the welcome,
Wow, you do have an "old timer" Islander 30. I didn't realize they went that far back! Hopefully I'll get some useful responses to my questions posted. It seems to me that a wet balsa deck core is a "show stopper" for most all deals. How long have you been a member and how useful is the site to you?
sincerely,
Jim Schultz
Cincinnati, OH
Under my avatar there you can see my info and you are welcome to go to my profile page and check out my old boat too Been here since 2014, so not too long, and I find A LOT of helpful info and tips here from many folks with a lot more knowledge than I! You might check out all the social groups too for more info. Be sure to use the search function here too, there's a wealth of info in the archives.

As far as a wet deck, you might check around the chainplates, jib sheet tracks and stanchion bases first. I wouldn't want to have to deal with it, BUT it all depends on how much you want, and will enjoy, that particular boat. It may be completely worth it to you but not other people. Don't worry about what other people think, unless you are thinking of selling the boat soon and you are thinking in terms of the value your boat will have vs. the amount of $ you'll have to put into it.

Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Islander