Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 17:13   #1

Is there much difference by year with Catalina 27?

There are a few C27s near for similar money.

One, a '74 with a 9.9 evinrude. Doesn't mention year or 2/4 stroke.

Other is an 82, with a 15 honda.

The evinrude has well mounted, the honda, transom. The Honda looks to be newer, likely a 4 stroke.

The 82 seems better outfitted with newer sails. Even has a mast mounted furuno. Both have roller furlers.

Is either of these year "better"?

From what reading I have done, seems that early=thick hulls, as with most any other production boats. I also read that later has SS keel and I believe also that later also had lead keel vs iron for older boats.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 03:18   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Is there much difference by year with Catalina 27?

In the span your looking at there is really no difference. Catalina has been very consistent with their quality. They don't have a period where they made "bad ones."

I would choose whichever one is better maintained. The '84 would probably be that one, just because it is newer. The outboard models sail great. We lived on a '72 C27 with an outboard and loved it. Later we had a '76 with an inboard and it did not sail quite as well. Both were fine boats though.

Good luck, let us know which you choose and how it's going. First boat ?

Old 18-04-2022, 04:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Catalina 27 was conceived in a 1970 design partnership between Robert Finch, and the founder of Catalina Yachts, Frank Butler, with production beginning in 1971.
After 22 (?) years of production, resulting in 6,600 boats, production finally ceased in 1991.

Catalina 27 Historyhttps://bluewaterboats.org/catalina-27

Because the Catalina 27 has been in production for so long, there have been numerous changes in the boats over the years. Most of these are small, but as a rule they have represented a steady stream of improvements. For this reason, more recent models are usually more desirable as used boats than earlier models.
Review ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ft/catalina-27

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 06:35   #4

So, in addition to year, I'd like to throw power plant type into the equation.

Outboard- Easy maintenance, more storage inside, sails better (less weight, no drag), but noisy.

Diesel- Reliable, safe, good mpg. Seems to me, this is worth the premium IF you plan on lots of motoring.

A4- The good ole atomic bomb! Quiet, powerful, reliable. Just do your damn maintenance if you don't want to get blowed up!!!! Seems there are those who swear by them....and those who swear at them because they have to fuss with carb adjustments all the time.

What say you folks? There is one I am going to look at. History of boat is it had a single owner for 40 years who was a Pratt & Whitney Engineer, who took the sort of care of this thing you'd expect from an engineer that works on jet engines. Says it purrs like a kitten.

With all other things equal, I think I like the OB. This one is a reasonably modern Honda 15HP. Pretty sure it is a 4 stroke, which means it should do reasonably well on gas and hopefully be relatively trouble free as stuff that says Honda on it tends to be.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 16:36   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Hi; I have a Catalina 27, 1974 model with 4 foot lead keel and not the tall mast. Originally had a 9.9 two stroke Evinrude electric start outboard in the cut-out at the stern. Sweet motor. Later I put a High Thrust 9.9 four stroke Yamaha on a swing down bracket. Sweeter, quieter, more powerful motor than the Evinrude, but also needs maintenance; like the propeller and main shaft seals, etc. and weighs a lot more than the 2 stroke to remove and put back on.
There are variances in the Catalina 27 models. The 3 foot draft does not sail as well as with the 4 foot keel and the tall mast model is not needed if more than 8 knots of wind.
The outboard model leaves you with a great big storage space below the cockpit, less heat and noise, easier to maneuver in close spaces, no drag from propeller or below the water and easier to take the whole engine home for maintenance. Also sails faster with less weight and does not like to go to weather in a chop when you overload her with gear and provisions for a long cruise. Also; not if, but those many times, when you run her aground; while just using the outboard motor and steering the prop wash from one side of the other in reverse gear, she often comes off easy, or you can get her floating off again just by pushing up on the hull with your shoulder while standing in chest high water. So; the Outboard motor is the best way for all these many reasons.
Differences in the Catalina 27s throughout the years are minimal, maybe some cosmetics and a different front hatch and window shapes. Boat's Condition and equipment is what is important in your case, even if the price is more than others..
Roller furling on the Genoa and full battens on the Main are great. Tiller auto pilot is nice and good anchoring gear is necessary. Check the condition of the rigging, sails and the electrical systems. Not that Catalina 27's have these problems, but just for you to feel confident about the one you choose.
You will love that boat. I have had mine for over 40 years and although had many other boats and makes, I still have my C-27 .
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, enc