Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 18:11   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Insurance in Australia for yachts under $30K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
I'd be really interested in what you find out regards whether wreck removal is definately covered by third party insurance in Australia. I've been led to believe that it isn't. Maybe it differs depending on the insurer? Thanks
Well, this all spurred me on to have a closer look. I found the following in my renewal letter, which was what rang a bell earlier...

"Any claim against this Policy shall require the client to pay a one off deductible of $2,500.
Any claim against this Policy for Salvage or Wreck Removal shall require the client to pay a one
off deductible of AUD $2,500.00."

Now, there is no mention of this in the documentation that the marina's have requested and received in the past, so either they:

a) Know this is a standard part of the Pantaenius (and maybe RAA) insurance cover.
b) They don't need it for their purposes.
or
c)... something else I cannot think of.

Either way, from my personal perspective, it means I am more than adequately covered if something goes wrong. AU$2500 is not all that great a number in the grand scheme of things, particularly if I've just rammed and sunk somebody's brand new Bavaria.

I suppose it COULD be interpreted to mean I am up for two lots of $2500, one for the damage to the third party's boat, and one for retrieving my boat from the bottom of the marina, but if that is the case they'd need good lawyers to defend it with that wording, which is pretty ambiguous.

Actually, all things considered, I am just looking forward to being away from marinas in general.
Old 09-06-2019, 18:42   #17

Boat: Currently yachtless

Thanks GILow - I WOULD definately read that as beig a $5000 excess in the case of wreck removal but still in the big scheme of things it's still not going to send you broke. I would venture to say that some third party policy's don't mention or cover for wreck removal at all so it's good to be aware of all the conditions and details in your particular policy. I agree it is all a can of worms and to be avoided if one can
Walaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 18:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
Thanks GILow - I WOULD definately read that as beig a $5000 excess in the case of wreck removal...
Yes, I think that is the sensible approach.

Do let us know how it all pans out for you. I for one would like to know if there are marinas out there in Australia that will not take me with just my third party insurance, as I am about to set off soon traveling. Although I plan to avoid marinas wherever possible, it would be a right PITA to find that I could not use one when I needed it.
Old 09-06-2019, 22:51   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

I did a quick google search and Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach both want comprehensive vessel insurance. Gladstone marina specifically mentions that you have salvage insurance.

No doubt there will be other marinas with similar rules.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Either way, from my personal perspective, it means I am more than adequately covered if something goes wrong. AU$2500 is not all that great a number in the grand scheme of things, particularly if I've just rammed and sunk somebody's brand new Bavaria.

I suppose it COULD be interpreted to mean I am up for two lots of $2500, one for the damage to the third party's boat, and one for retrieving my boat from the bottom of the marina, but if that is the case they'd need good lawyers to defend it with that wording, which is pretty ambiguous.
Well I would say the chances of you needing salvage after hitting that Bavaria with your beast would be negligible!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Well I would say the chances of you needing salvage after hitting that Bavaria with your beast would be negligible!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41   #22

Have you guys tried www.compareyachtinsurance.com ?
Christian B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, insurance, yacht