Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 03:27   #1

Boat: 1987 Elan 31
Inaccessible bilge?

I've recently taken a look at a small 8-metre long Trident 80 sailboat.

One thing stood out: I could not gain access to the keel bolts from within the cabin. Nor could I gain access to the bilge at all? The flooring looked as if it were bolted to the bottom. I've asked the owner where the bilge pump is, and he showed me a small portable pump that he combines with a length of hose to suck out water when it slightly pools in the engine compartment. He seemed perplexed that I would ask about the bilge.

Does this boat not have a bilge?

If not, what happens to water when it gets into the boat?

It pools onto the floor and turns the boat into a bathtub...?

I'm a novice at all things boat-related and would appreciate any insights you might have.
tramuntana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 09:35   #2

Re: Inaccessible bilge?

Here's the SailboatData schematic. It seems as if there truly is no bilge.

A more personal question: would you buy a 26+ foot boat with no bilge or an accessible bilge? If so, what do you consider to be the pros and cons of such a design?
Old 29-03-2021, 11:47   #3

I suppose there are many small boats with a very small bilge, in order to maximise internal space.
In the case of the OP’s boat, those central floorboards must come up somehow. I’m sure they aren’t bolted through the hull.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 22:17   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It appears there is a very shallow bilge it is true, but not being able to see keel bolts is a problem. I have seen boats where they screwed the cabin sole down and the screw heads were big and obvious, so I suspect they are there but the owner may never have thought to lift up the floor. Take a second look I'd say.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 22:45   #5

Boat: SUN MAID 20

Unless the keel is an integral moulding.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 12:25   #6

Thanks for helping out! Finding information on this boat (the Trident 80) online is very difficult. Must be a relatively rare boat nowadays. Silkie, the boat seems to have a relatively narrow fin keel -- would that mean it is very likely bolted to the hull? Don and Yellowtulip: the floorboards do seem to have tiny screws holding them in place, so likely they can be unscrewed to access the keel bolts. The owner seems to have never given them a look. The boat seems to have been used for weekend fishing trips in nice weather only, hence the owner's carefree attitude I suppose.
Old 30-03-2021, 12:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramuntana View Post
Thanks for helping out! Finding information on this boat (the Trident 80) online is very difficult. Must be a relatively rare boat nowadays. Silkie, the boat seems to have a relatively narrow fin keel -- would that mean it is very likely bolted to the hull? Don and Yellowtulip: the floorboards do seem to have tiny screws holding them in place, so likely they can be unscrewed to access the keel bolts. The owner seems to have never given them a look. The boat seems to have been used for weekend fishing trips in nice weather only, hence the owner's carefree attitude I suppose.

There’s some useful info here

https://www.boat-specs.com/sailing/c...oat%5B%5D=217a

There are two variants, a deep-draught and shallow-draught. There were about 600 built, it seems.
I would be almost certain that the keel is bolted on.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 14:00   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good day, tramuntana, and welcome aboard CF.

Yes, undo those little screws, and lift the cabin sole, and see what you have. When you go to put it all back, do it gently, wood only allows screws to be screwed down gently, or it will start stripping the screws out, as it absorbs moisture from the air, and also as it expands from warmth. Knowing about its fragility may be why the previous owner did not remove the cabin sole for inspection.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 30-03-2021, 18:40   #9

Boat: SUN MAID 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramuntana View Post
yes, most likely.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 19:51   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Most likely the keel bolts are fine, but it is good to check.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge