Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 06:52   #16

Boat: TBC
Re: I am looking for a boat to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Note ,there is no such thing as a good cheap boat,you either pay for it when you buy it or after you buy it ,but pay you do , that being said there maybe some better buys than others,you call your dollars.⛵️⚓️
I like the space on this boat, suits me... plus the idea of entertaining guests on somewhat of a nice big decking is also a bonus. Most 30ft I see I feel would be too small for me. As I want to live on the boat full time..
Maybe I now need to consider saving £30/40k and looking again?

My ideal boat would be a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49. But way out my range.

Looking more practically I think 37 is smallest I want to go.
mrk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:58   #17

Boat: S&S 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk123 View Post
I am also a believer in this, romanticism over realism. Trying to become more realist tho as the heart can get us into some real trouble if not used in conjunction with the mind.

Anyway, what do you mean setting it up for electrical? As in an overhaul with up to date instruments?

Check out Ocean Volt. I have been wanting to to re-power and switch over to electric from diesel. But because my boat is 20 years old for me it would be better to redo the electrical as well as the drive train. But with that said the cost of doing that does not work for me at this time. If the boat you are looking at needs all that it might me a good option for you.
Boots and Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 17:51   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have no personal expertise, but I would be concerned about structural damage from the heat generated by any serious fire. FRP can be compromised by overheating, so an expert analysis, perhaps beyond the capabilities of most surveyors, would be advisable IMO.

Jim
Old 23-07-2022, 02:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I have no personal expertise, but I would be concerned about structural damage from the heat generated by any serious fire. FRP can be compromised by overheating, so an expert analysis, perhaps beyond the capabilities of most surveyors, would be advisable IMO.

Jim
Yep I am leaving that boat, too many NOs - not to mention it's my first boat and it's 3000 miles away.
Old 23-07-2022, 02:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots and Socks View Post
Check out Ocean Volt. I have been wanting to to re-power and switch over to electric from diesel. But because my boat is 20 years old for me it would be better to redo the electrical as well as the drive train. But with that said the cost of doing that does not work for me at this time. If the boat you are looking at needs all that it might me a good option for you.
Interesting, I wonder how much solar panel space is required to keep a boat moving should you need to. And how much all that costs, surly it's at least twice the cost of an older diesel engine.
Worth knowing about.
Old 23-07-2022, 04:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk123 View Post

Anyway, what do you mean setting it up for electrical? As in an overhaul with up to date instruments?
No new diesel engine. Install an electric motor instead. And a lot of batteries.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 10:33   #22

Repowered and electrical may be (read probably) just the start. Get a survey then add up the $
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 11:53   #23

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Note ,there is no such thing as a good cheap boat,you either pay for it when you buy it or after you buy it ,but pay you do , that being said there maybe some better buys than others,you call your dollars.⛵️⚓️
So true....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 12:00   #24

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Buying a boat is the easy bit moneywise. Running it is the hard bit. Personally if its your first boat & your budget is limited, I would go for a smaller boat first time out.

FWIW IMHO buying a big old boat is great if you have deep pockets, a burning desire, are feeling brave, really know what you are doing, have time on your hands, & not much else taking up your mental bandwidth. That is 6 factors. I guess you can miss out on maybe one of those - but not more.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 12:18   #25

Hello
Hatteras DC43 motorboat in eastern Spain ready to sell needs some tlc but could be used straight away £50K
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 16:10   #26

Boat: Adams 40

Can you sail ? Have you owned a 45 for yacht before ? Try chartering a 45 footer and see if you can handle it. That’s a big boat. Ok if you have crew but why so big ? Anything 40 feet and over is a lot to handle. If it’s your first boat start smaller and get one ready to go, not a project. Get an experienced sailor to help , good luck !
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 11:26   #27

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Good luck with your boat shopping. When I bought my first boat, I thought I would be bored doing things like sailing, entertaining the ladies, visiting exotic locations, and so on. Now I have exciting things to do like wiring, repairing gel coat, fiberglass work, upgrades, and so on!

It is fine balance between being too romantic and dreaming, and getting bogged down in those pesky details such as repairs needed, upgrades needed, time and price of repairs/upgrades, etc. Be aware of the real world expenses but at the same time, don't let them keep you from your dream. If you can find something that will get you sailing now (or reasonably soon), even if it needs something, that is certainly worth considering.

Good hunting and keep us posted.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 11:38   #28

Mark123 said: "Interesting, I wonder how much solar panel space is required to keep a boat moving should you need to. "

Just do the math. The fundamental calculations are simple enuff. You need to define WHERE you will sail and HOW you will sail before you can determine if "all electric" is for you.

Without knowing those two things you CANNOT develop a power budget, and without a power budget you CANNOT determine what motor, what battery capacity and what panel capacity you will need to satisfy the requirements intrinsic in HOW you sail, and WHERE you sail.

Since your comments imply that your budget is not unlimited, you might be wise to stick with the tried and true direct-drive diesel. Dirt cheap and utterly reliable.

Dirt cheap and reliable is also the way to go for those whose actual sailing experience may also be somewhat restricted. The ability to handle a 15 ton boat - the Sun Odyssey 49 laden - in all weathers is something that is best acquired by working up to it, stepwise, in smaller, simpler boats. And under the tutelage of someone who already knows :-)

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 04:06   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

If you’re talking about the 490 i think they missed the mark. The 440 and 51 are crazy good sailors the 490 not so much
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 06:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
If you’re talking about the 490 i think they missed the mark. The 440 and 51 are crazy good sailors the 490 not so much
Interesting, will consider this... I think £60-80-120k out my range right now so will have to look at none fancy named boats for now.

Tags
boat