Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Hunter (e)33 bluewater capable?

Purchased my first cruiser, a 2012 hunter 33. After a few months of beginner stuff, I'm starting to think about my future cruising plans. As my first cruiser, ive kept all my trips in the long island sound so I could learn the boat and it's capabilities in a relatively safe setting; ive encountered 30+ winds and every issue you could throw at me conditions wise in the protected waters I call home. My future plans include block island, Martha's vineyard, Newport, cape cod, boson, and many sights along the easy coast.

All this to say, does anyone have any input regarding handling weather, conditions and reasonable cruising plans? Can i assume that she is capable of true offshore cruising?
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56   #2

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Hunter (e)33 bluewater capable?

Gregg you should be able to do all the cruising you listed. Take your time mastering your boat and you should get a handle on the conditions appropriate for you to be sailing in. At some point you will revisit whether the boat is still a good fit for your actual cruising.

Overall, I think it is probably a fine boat for coastal cruising, but maybe not the best for crossing oceans. People have crossed oceans with much less, so make sure she's well maintained and sail what you have.

You as the skipper matter more than the boat - sail on!
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Yes , your planing looks fine with the Hunter,i dont see any problem at all, now many have diferents definitions of Bluewater boats.
Take care of your boat and the boat take care of you. Enjoy sailing...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11   #4

Boat: Hunter E33
Thanks guys!
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30   #5

I like the boat a lot for coastal cruising. Lots of good features including the 3/4 fractional rig. But I do have some concerns about taking the boat offshore:

1. Backstay-less rig. Probably very little, if any experience offshore with this rig.
2. I have never been a fan of the mainsheet arrangement.. Same concern for offshore as #1 above.
3. Cockpit is advertised as large. Not good for offshore.

Take the boat anywhere you want on the east coast. Don't forget Maine, especially in this hot weather. And I would not hesitate to take it to the Bahamas and do some island hopping in the Carribbean. Plenty of great cruising ahead for you, without really going offshore.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34   #6

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Certainly your Hunter 33 can handle you plans. The more experiences you have On her the better you will be in terms of your ability. I would suggest you take some time on other comparable boats and also have some friends with more years experience sailing out on yours. That will help your learning curve. There is not substitute for experience and usually you don't learn things my routine unless you have a certain amount of repetition. These are a function of time usually. That's what helps you learn how to handle the new and extraordinary conditions which get thrown out you. Sailing is fluid sport in a fluid medium. This will increase you confidence also

My suggestions about having others on your boat willl help expedite your improvement in sail trim, course plotting and even stjimple things like anchoring. Certainly have enugh under your belt to venture forward to somle of the destinations you posted. Utilize CN with questions along the way as there are many on hear with large and differing amounts of experiences and knowledge.

After 40 years of sailing (since I was 16), a few trips acros the pond, some deliveries and sailing in the Carribean, and 18 years of keelboat ownership, I still learn everyday or get new ideas from fellow sailors.

Good luck with you new purchase.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote