Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 12:40   #1

HUNTER 45 DS

Hi!
I'm interested at the forum's opinion about Hunter 45 DS 2010 as a blue water sailboat and also for Mediterranean sailing.
Thanks.
UDIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:53   #2

Re: HUNTER 45 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDIU View Post
Hi!
I'm interested at the forum's opinion about Hunter 45 DS 2010 as a blue water sailboat and also for Mediterranean sailing.
Thanks.
Boy have you opened a can of worms. I’ll try to paraphrase the next 27 pages: The Hunter owners will assure you that they are strong, tough, and are seen around the world. The salty “blue-water” he-men in their canoe sterned, full keel, 40 year old boats will be aghast, and inform you that thou shalt surely sink. Everyone else will bounce somewhere between the two extremes. A couple will tell you that nearly any boat is blue water with the right captain. The truth is fuzzy. “Production” boats have sailed the world. Maybe not as comfortable in a seaway as heavier older boats. When I was a kid in the 60’s and dreaming of sailing around the world, I remember reading articles about how Catamarans were basically “unsafe in any seas”. Now they are happily sailing around the world.

Any well kitted, safely rigged boat with a competent captain and crew can sail around the world. Best of luck to you.

I hope my overall response is not taken as snarky, but rather well intentioned humor.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 13:03   #3

Snarky but well explained.
Thanks!!🙏
Old 04-02-2021, 13:40   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

it will be fine!

if you want go here and ask people who own one of those as overall CF is anti production boats

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/forums/big-boats.40/
Old 04-02-2021, 13:47   #5

Thanks!
I'll check that.🙏
Old 07-02-2021, 09:07   #6

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

Im very interested in some responses to this question as well. I have an 05 hunter 44ds. I am on the chesapeake but would like to sail to bermuda and maybe someday cross the pond to the med. At least make it the caribbean.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HUNTER 45 DS

It should be capable of the trip.. just stick to the favorable seasons and routes, don't needlessly stress the boat trying to set records and you'll be fine.
Trans ocean sailing is different from coastal sailing, your far from assistance and even further from West Marine.. reef early and relax, there's no records you can break..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:41   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I cant imagine how many boats of different manufacture I've seen floating at mooring/anchor in SPacific islands which most people here never heard of including every so-called production boat. About the only thing one learns fro these topics is which among us are the internet expects
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:04   #9

Hi!
No record that I am looking for.
Trying to do it the right way.
Thanks very much.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HUNTER 45 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDIU View Post
Hi!
No record that I am looking for.
Trying to do it the right way.
Thanks very much.

If a 35yr old Hunter 37 could do it... you'll be fine.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:59   #11

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I looked at the Hunter 45 ds new back in 2010. Great boat!! Been 10 years with my 1990 hunter 37.5 legend, and have done some ocean sailing with her. If you don't push the boat to the edge, you'll be fine, and so will the boat. For example, reef early, and give up a knot or two to keep her on her feet. Change tacking angle, course, or even destination if you're pounding into the sea. Engage a professional weather router for long trips and listen to their advice, and weather window suggestions.

One thing to consider before you take off is thoroughly inspect your rig (or have it inspected) and through hulls and replace anything remotely looking tired. Same thing for the sails.

My apologies if the above is redundant to the knowledge you already have. You have a fine boat and she'll see you through.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:38   #12

Location: Cambridge Md, on the eastern shore of the chesapeake Bay
Boat: 198 carolina skiff

I have enjoyed reading these posts , everything from your doomed to have a great time , I was boat shopping also and have these on my list , but also want to do the great loop
, the one thought I had was preparation , there have been a ton of great posts on it so enjoy
khoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter