We are looking into Buying a boat
located in Portugal
. The VAT has been and it's wired to take 110-240v.
The plan is to keep the boat
there for 2 years and sail the Med
and then join the ARC
in November and bring her across.
The questions we have are:
1) Can we keep her in the EU for as long as we want since we're not citizens? We don't plan on living on her yet so we would go back and forth and have another couple that would also go back and forth so the boat
is never along.
2) VAT has been paid but do we have to move the boat out of the EU within a certain amount of time after Buying
? If so, how much time do we have?
3) I assume we keep EU flag until we're ready to sail her across? Yes? No?
4) Where do you suggest we flag the boat once we bring her across? We would like to flag her in the US, but have heard there are certain states that require annual taxes
? And others don't allow insurance
due to hurricanes? Suggestions?
5) Would we have to pay import taxes
once we flag her in the US? If so, what does that run?
THANKS in ADVANCE!