Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 18:39   #46

Re: How Big Does Our Flag of Registry Need to Be?

Dutch and US ensigns always seem bigger because they have different proportions than the 1:2 hoist-to-fly ratio seen in most Commonwealth ensigns, including the red, white, and blue ensigns, and the Canadian maple leaf flag. Dutch and US flags are shorter in the fly and taller in the hoist, so the “inch-per-foot-of-boat” rule gets a taller flag for a similar sized vessel.
Old 29-11-2020, 21:50   #47

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Just to muddy the waters a bit further...

...for US vessels the US Yacht Ensign (canton with a fouled anchor and 13 stars) can be flown in lieu of the US Ensign in national waters, but not internationally or in foreign waters.

(I've seen many chowderheads in boats from the US in Canada and Mexico flying a US Yacht Ensign.)

Also, not only Maryland, but Arkansas and Washington state adopted (meaningless) regulations for display of the US Ensign and the state flag on vessels. (They are meaningless because many boat owners are clueless when it comes to flag etiquette (as illustrated by this thread), and because nobody would even attempt to enforce such state regulations even if they knew about them.)

And yes, I fly a US Ensign everyday....not because I am some "right-wing hypocrite," but because I am proud to be an American, and also out of respect for the men that I served with and fought along side of...esp. those that didn't come home.
Old 29-11-2020, 22:37   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm in favour of following the general concepts of flag etiquette but getting hung up about the size of o ne's ensign rubs me a bit the wrong way. Various posts upthread have alluded to the origins of said "rules" being British, and I have a strong image of the founders of them wearing blazers with shiny buttons, white duck trousers and dressing for dinner at the club whilst t heir professional crew did the dirty work, covered the sails, swabbed the deck and lowered the colours at sunset whilst the owner swilled pink gin ashore. Hardly the case for the modern short handed cruiser.

All very well for them, but worrying about a smaller than "regulation" ensign looking "mean" ain't for me. I generally fly appropriate courtesy flags and signal flags when required, but fly the ensign, only 36 inches on the fly instead of the 46 stipulated, 24/7, illuminated by my lower anchor light at night.

The next commonly available US flag is 36 by 60 inches, and that would be ludicrous on our stern.

If this practice has offended anyone over the 34 years that we've been sailing in foreign waters, they've not mentioned it to us.

Jim
Old 30-11-2020, 10:51   #49

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Bairstow View Post
Dutch and US ensigns always seem bigger because they have different proportions than the 1:2 hoist-to-fly ratio seen in most Commonwealth ensigns, including the red, white, and blue ensigns, and the Canadian maple leaf flag. Dutch and US flags are shorter in the fly and taller in the hoist, so the “inch-per-foot-of-boat” rule gets a taller flag for a similar sized vessel.
I’m probably confused by the terminology. I thought the “hoist” was the vertical part parallel to the “flagpole” and the “fly” was the horizontal extent away from the “flagpole”.

If I’m correct, then the US flag is definitely not “shorter in the fly and taller in the hoist”

So either I am wrong or you are. I wonder which. My knowledge on national flags is probably limited but I recollect that the Swiss flag 🇨🇭 is square, I can’t think of another where the fly is shorter than or even equal to the hoist.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 11:44   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

My flag state does not specify times to fly my flag , so I adopt the idea behind a royal standard. It flies all the time I’m aboard
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03   #51

Boat: Hunter 380

Should be same size as warships employed in the 18th century — so you can be seen from telescope. Unless you are a pirate. Then it can be a bit smaller. Advantage of this size is that you can use it as a light blanket indoors when necessary.
grube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54   #52

Given that racing yachts do not wear their ensign, I'd say that it is not a requirement to have one on display. Your registration document should list any such requirements, including other ways of marking your vessel.
PickleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:43   #53

Boat: Ranger Tug, R-27

I am proud to fly the flag of my country, USA.
Trawler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:07   #54
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler2016 View Post
I am proud to fly the flag of my country, USA.
Good. Me too, but for a different country

On the St. Lawrence River, 1000 Islands and Lake Ontario, we've seen people flying national flags of USA & Canada*, various other nationalities, and also the state flags of some US states and provincial flags of some Canadian provinces.

I have never heard of anyone being given any kind of grief over flag etiquette, except perhaps by fellow boaters, and in a jocular manner.

*Some people also fly courtesy flags of the opposite country, if they've checked in, which isn't happening these days.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:44   #55

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Not sure about other countries, but Canada does not require you to fly a flag. (But registered boat DOES require name and port (with minimum size and legible font.)

I've seen all sizes of flags, and recall a recommendation something like 1" for each foot boat length. Really, your choice while in Canadian waters.

This past covid19 summer, we saw quite a few USA boats up here NOT flying their [emoji631]flag... [emoji848]
So, I bought my Bristol 24 five years ago and have neither changed the name of the vessel (Ploiarion) or its port (Duluth MN) as displayed on the transom. It is now registered in Maryland and it's port is Herald Harbor. Am I obliged to do so?
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:40   #56

The British convention is to raise the ensign at 0800 and lower it at sunset or 2100, whichever is the earlier.

It makes sense not to leave it up all night, wearing out at twice the rate while it can't even be seen.

And yes, the hoist is the vertical bit next to the pole, and the fly is the other end. The quarter of the flag at the top of the hoist is properly called the upper canton.

A yacht "wears" her ensign, and "flies" all other flags.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 16:02   #57

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We fly the US flag at all times when underway with the following exceptions:
  • When racing, it is not permitted by racing etiquette and sometimes by rules.
  • On open ocean passages we strike the colors to preserve the flag, but we hoist it again if we are passing close to any vessel.

Despite the behavior of some Americans we are proud of being American and we show our flag. There was a time a few years back when many US yachts didn't want to fly the flag for fear of being targeted. I often asked if they thought that John Paul Jones felt that way. I said if I was afraid to acknowledge that I was an American I should have stayed home. I have to say that I did worry about it at times but we always flew the flag.

Flag size: Silly me, I once read (apparently incorrectly) that the flag should be 1" on the hoist for each foot of the yacht's waterline. Consequently I bought a 36" X 60" flag, and have used that size since then. They last about 2 years on our boat. We keep the old ones in case we lose a flag. (we have). We fly it from the backstay and it barely fits without hitting the windvane. It can wrap around my head if I am standing holding the tiller. In that case I jam it into the running backstay bungie.

Courtesy flags: We usually make our own and have many pieces of colored cloth. In Mexico we can buy yardage with preprinted flags and cut them out and hem them. Six to a meter. A meter costs about 10 pesos. They don't last long but they are cheap. Big courtesy flags are better than tiny ones. The worst thing I did was make a courtesy flag for Mauritius with the colors reversed. It was noticed immediately.

Giant Flags: We have bought HUGE flags for several countries, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, and the USA which we fly from the forestay on special occasions in the country.

Battle Flags: We often fly large banners or other flags from the forestay when in port prior (and after) a race.

Flag Locker: Just as when I was in the Navy, we have a "flag locker" stuffed with dozens of flags and banners.

Appalling trend: It has become a trend, mostly in the Caribbean to fly small national flags on the starboard spreader, one for each nationality of the crew on board, and no actual courtesy flag! Total chowder heads. I want to sneak over at night and cut them down.

Photos: Wings and the flag, over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200607_153554.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	228128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings at Antigua Classic Regatta photo by  Cindy Cady.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	228129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	V2 Judy Steers Summertime Flag.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	228130  
Old 04-12-2020, 17:33   #58

If I recall from Chapman’s book, 1’ flag for every 10’ of boat. Nothing better than flying the stars and bars in international waters! And I’m sure it’s the same for every traveler of different countries. And it gives you legal rights as well! (Doing this off my iPhone. Why is the text so small? Horrible UI). Maybe one day they’ll build an app.)
roqdocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 17:39   #59

Here’s a bit of Reality. Owned my cat since 2004. Only flew an American flag (3”x5”, the kind u put on a car antenna) for about 4 yrs til it died. Haven’t flown a flag since except country courtesy flags cause the Countries care. Don’t have a home port on my hull, just the name JAVA in BIG script.on my bows. I’ve been twice across the Pacific, several years in Mexico, Central & S. America, 8 yrs in So Pacific, Micronesia, trips to AU & NZ, thru Pirate seas & now in Filipinos. If asked why I don’t fly a flag (which doesn’t happen often) I reply that my last flag died & I can’t buy another in THEIR country, or that I don’t want potential Pirates to know I’m from the RICH! USA or that I’m not proud of my country (all true statements!)

You’d probably need a flag for Europe or Caribbean or other crowded places, but I don’t know that since I’m not going there. I wouldn't listen to all those armchair sailors.
Evan on cat JAVA
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 17:51   #60

And American flag courtesy suggests no flag should be flown higher than Us flag! Flying the stars and bars flag makes you an entity of the US in international wsters. You are US flagged vessel. (No ensign flags) Drives me crazy when I see pickup trucks and power boats flying political flags on same level as US flags. You know who you are
roqdocs is offline   Reply With Quote