Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 15:49   #136

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

[QUOTE=Sandero;2255949

I believe that form follows function and forms that function will often look beautiful. This certainly seems to apply to boats. But not always. There are plenty of unaesthetic boats out there.

YMMV[/QUOTE]

I believe that the Boreal line of hard dodgers on the 44/47 and 52 are excellent examples of form following function. IMO they are some of the best hard dodgers out there and look great; very integrated into the boat lines. Just out of my $$$ range.

There is a CF member (Steve?) that has had one for several years that may be able to comment on it or post up better pictures of them
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 16:30   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
POLUX,

Thanks for adding the photos.
Of the ones you posted, this one really caught my attention.

Please tell me the Brand/Model and Size of that boat, if you know.

It looks like it provides the most coverage and good seating area under the dodger, and looks to me like a comfortable spot to be in a blow if on watch. I also like the room for electronics etc.
It's the Garcia 52
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_GARCIA-52.jpg
Views:	4242
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	135910  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 17:05   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It's the Garcia 52
I don't consider this example a dodger... it's more of a sort of pilot house design. A dodger in my mind is added to the boat... usually afterwards by the owner. The example may function as or even better than many dodgers and that may be because it's on a larger yacht.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 17:24   #139

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Well yeah it was a guess because most are to my eye not attractive and the assumption being architects don't design unattractive things. But we all know this is not true either.

"Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality" Not a word about aesthetics in their design philosophy. And it shows in my opinion.

I believe that form follows function and forms that function will often look beautiful. This certainly seems to apply to boats. But not always. There are plenty of unaesthetic boats out there.

YMMV
You suggested that none of the dodgers had been designed by a NA. My post was simply meant to refute that statement. Many have been.

The physical realities of designing a useful dodger of any material often fly in the face of sensuous flowing lines, lines that an artist such as yourself would admire. Yet, people desire the protection afforded by such structures, I know that I do. So, we, and many NAs, do the best that we can to balance art and practicality. I happen to think that Van de Stadt have done several which do pretty well at both (particularly the Samoa). You are free to disagree, but not to say that because those dodgers are ugly to you that they could not have been designed by a NA.

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 17:59   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Jim,

I agree with you that many dodgers/spray hoods are too tall. The height should be such that a standing helms person can easily see the sails and water in front of the boat without looking through windows. It should also protect crew sitting under the cover and allow reasonably easy entry/exit from the companionway.
Agree wholeheartedly. I've been suggesting this for years. Our PO was rater, uhm, short, so we had a low dodger. I love it still, 'cuz I don't have to stare through windows all day, can walk up behind the dodger and rest my arms on it, etc. Never an issue going down or coming back up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 18:09   #141
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see that we need a definition, so as this thread's "curator of exhibition" I wrote the following to keep us focused and not arguing needlessly.

For the purpose of this thread or discussion on the topic of "Hard Dodgers,"

Hard Dodger Definition

"A Hard Dodger is a structure on a sailboat used to shield the companion way hatch from spray and rain. It may be an integral part of the original boat design, or added later. It may be made of any material as long as it has a hard structural element to it, by definition making it a 'hard' dodger. It may feature some removable panels of glass, canvas, plastic or wood or other materials and may be removable itself. It may simply cover or shield the hatch opening or provide more shelter for crew sitting in the cockpit. Hard windscreens may serve some of the function as a dodger and may be included in this discussion too."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:39   #142

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Subscribing
Old 12-11-2016, 05:03   #143

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello Steady,

Regarding Polux's post, the top one is an Amel 55. The center one is possibly an OVNI... the hard chines are an indicator.

Cheers,
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:01   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello Steady,

Regarding Polux's post, the top one is an Amel 55. The center one is possibly an OVNI... the hard chines are an indicator.

Cheers,
Centre one? There are 8 pics?

The second one down (if that's what you mean) is a Boreal 47. (I'd like one in my Christmas stocking please Santa)

You images are of high enough resolution that you can read the makers name on most of them if you view at full size.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 13:19   #145

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
It's the Garcia 52
Yes it is.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 13:41   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You suggested that none of the dodgers had been designed by a NA. My post was simply meant to refute that statement. Many have been.

The physical realities of designing a useful dodger of any material often fly in the face of sensuous flowing lines, lines that an artist such as yourself would admire. Yet, people desire the protection afforded by such structures, I know that I do. So, we, and many NAs, do the best that we can to balance art and practicality. I happen to think that Van de Stadt have done several which do pretty well at both (particularly the Samoa). You are free to disagree, but not to say that because those dodgers are ugly to you that they could not have been designed by a NA.

Jim

You are correct and I shot too fast... Duly noted and I apologize. No insult was intended.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:01   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I don't consider this example a dodger... it's more of a sort of pilot house design. A dodger in my mind is added to the boat... usually afterwards by the owner. The example may function as or even better than many dodgers and that may be because it's on a larger yacht.
I don't agree. It is really a dodger and with some similarities with the ones used on IMOCA boats (solo Open 60's). take a look:

We can understand why the Imoca need those big dodgers but they are also very useful to keep the crew of a Garcia out of the rain and really protected from the wind, specially on very col climates and that boat was designed to sail in high latitudes.
Old 12-11-2016, 18:18   #148
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello Steady,

Cheers,
Post 126 from the top down:

Amel
Boreal
Garcia
Atlantic 43
Atlantic
not sure
Django 12.70
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:45   #149

Quote:
Post 126 from the top down:

Amel
Boreal
Garcia
Atlantic 43
Atlantic
not sure
Django 12.70
The one it is missing is the JPK45, a boat that I would like to own and in my opinion the one with the best looking hard dodger on all thread. I posted about it some time ago on my blog "JPK 45, another great, very fast, voyage boat"

Old 13-11-2016, 07:50   #150
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,
That is a nice looking dodger, and I like the coverage it gives for the two seats in the cockpit.

Thanks for adding it to the mix here.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood