Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49   #1

Boat: Haida 26
Haida 26 Owners Group

NEW.......... Haida 26 Owners Group in the social group section of this site. Let's help all new owners to the information that we have gathered.
Remember when you tryed to find info about this famous little sea boat..
Join now.. Michael ..skipper of the Ruby Jean..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 17:11   #2

Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

I know that there are more of you out out an about, sign-up.
Old 30-03-2011, 22:51   #3

In June '09 I traded my '91 VW Golf for a Haida 26', hull number 95. Dove in with zero sailing experience and have been sailing around the San Juan Islands ever since. Had a lot to learn and still do, but these islands are a great place to explore. The boat has been amazing and I lived on it for several months, had a great time and it is the perfect size to handle and accomodate all of your stuff and friends. Would love to meet fellow Haida
Currently have it hauled out, repairing a scratches to the fiberglass and painting the bottom and topsides. I have only met a few other Haida owners - The On Wild Earth Project - Home is a couple from BC who sailed to Southern California, lots of great photos.
PaintsPeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34   #4

hello Hiaida 26 people, I just got back my old custom modified Haida, that I bought in 1986 from Willy Faning of Sydney Propeller, in Sydney BC. . I am upgrading it and may or may not sell it .I will have to see if I fall back in love with it. It has a beautifully built trunk cabin going fore of the mast step, the mast now mounted of course on the cabin top. There is an old farymann diesel frozen up that I may repower with a Bukh 10 I am getting. I am impressed with their design and construction . I ask though, has anyone trailered one as I did 20 years ago , taking it to SF from Seattle? I want to have a trailerable cruising pocket cruiser, and with this option be able to bring it to the NW or home from Baja. Anyway, any Haida owners who have set up for offshore cruising here on the site? Do we have to modify the chainplate glassed in tabs ? What size cruising standing rigging wire and turnbuckles? Should I decide to sell Is there a appreciative buyer out there for our boat? Please contact me to discuss and share your experience further at ecoearthyacht@yahoo.com. My other boat is a Tylercraft 26 twin keel cruising sloop on a trailer that draws 30 " , rather than 4 1/2 ft draft of the Haida. I have this one for my dream trailer and coastal cruising use,. She is bulletproof in construction, has nice lines, but not quite the full bows of the Haida, and is twin keels, so am not sure of her ability and safely in heavy wind and sea conditions. I have to decide, one or the other boat . Thoughts on these options? Having towed the Haida before, its doable, but is scary with such a high on the trailer boat, and recovering costs of a travel lift rather than able to be ramp launched like the twin keeler. Have any of you launched a Hiaida 26 on a ramp or on a yacht club hoist with lifting gear? Is it possible? TIm
ecoearthyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I dunno about trailering the Haida, but the onwildearth people did it, probably with a crane or lift.

I met a fellow in my marina on Lake Union, named Christian, sailing a Haida 26 MKII he inherited. I also met a former Haida owner who sailed his Haida to New Zealand from Seattle, not the one with the stories online, though. He showed me all of the things that must be done to make the boat bluewater.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34   #6

tager, Could you put me in contact with that Haida owner who outfitted his boat for offshore? Also I might have to sell my boat, though do not want to . I can mention it is a great boat that would make an exceptional pocket cruiser with the room down below. I am on the fence about this, now with my owning two other boats. Is there a contact for the Haida " earth" folks cruising south? TIm at eoearthyachtyahoo.com
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38   #7

Boat: Haida 26' Flush Hull
Wink Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Just purchased my first sailboat: a 1964-67(?) Haida 26' flush deck. The boyfriend and I had a bad case of sailboat fever and just bought it on the spot sans survey. We decided to ditch the bad roommate situation and spend our rent money on a boat instead. We got the Honey Bird, a very desirable slip in Monterey as well as tons of useful gear and an outboard for $800 bucks flat.

Since we haven't gotten her out of the water yet we have no clue what she looks like underneath. She came with all brand spankin new rigging, and more sails than I know what to do with. She is completely gutted cleaned up and ready to be fit with a nicely innovated cabin courtesy of the handy man boyfriend.

Myself as well as my boyfriend are avid ocean people but for the most part are still on our first couple baby steps towards learning about sailing and are most likely the newest laughing stock/spectacle at the harbor, but you have to start somewhere! But we all started there, i'm feelin the sarcastic love from all the local sailors and getting a kick out of it.

Does anyone here have any information in regards to greywater storage, or rather just any information about the plumbing in these boats? The only serious problem we are running into so far is that some of the plumbing and valves look incredibly corroded.

Any information, recommendations, or things to look out for on the Haida 26' would be greatly appreciated as we go about working on our lovely little Honey Bird.

Depending on how the Survey goes we may keep it/ flip it/ or part it out. But my heart wants to sail it to the moon and back again! Thanks so much guys! Any Haida love I can get would be greatly appreciated!
HoneyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 20:03   #8

Tager, and other Haida 26 sailors, I am trying to upgrade my Haida in sf bay. It has a farymann diesel and custom standing headroom trunk cabin alll the way fore of the mast. I am interested to know the rigging wire size needed for offshore cruising. Also and potential partners to buy in to the boat, or maybe sell full ownership. I love the boat and am not ready to fully let it go. I can be contacted at ecoearthyacht@yahoo.com Tim
Old 03-08-2011, 22:24   #9

I bought my Haida 26 in 1985 and I still own her. She is a MkII with the slightly raised cabin. I sail her out of Vancouver BC, and she is in great condition (I work on her a lot). I cruise and race occasionally (we do well on the race course). A few years back I bought a used oversized kite which helps a lot in light conditions.
Isseyikasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:23   #10

Boat: Haida MKII 26'- 1977

Ahoy Haida Sailors!
Launched Pen Wen in time for this years intertribal canoe journey from her trailer off the ramp at the Port of Kingston and stepped the mast by hand with sheer determination. It can be done! Actually it was a piece of cake.
Really enjoying the character of this little craft. It proved to be a superb support boat for this years journey to Swinomish, and we are already exited about next years journey to Squaxin island.
Varjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 13:46   #11

Boat: Haida

Hey folks I just bought a haida 26 and will be replacing all the wood. it is a raised cabin version. I am looking for offsts to rebuild the bulkheads, and am looking to rent a trailer to get it to a place to work on it. I will be sailing to glacier bay in may. Anyone got a trailer on the west coast usa I can rent for a couplke of months
jimedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:13   #12

I have a MkII in Astoria,OR..I am doing a complete restore on her...I would like to make her into a bluewater boat at some point but right now starting from the ground up. rubyjean or tager if I am driving threw your area sometime could I stop by and see your boats...I haven't been in another Haida and the cabin of mine was pretty much trashed/changed when I got mine. I am thinking about doing a redesign and would like to see what the original looks like..my email is whateverfun2@gmail.com

-Aaron
ladolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:00   #13

Your are alway's welcome here. Welcome to the group. we're here to help. ..Michael..
Old 27-01-2012, 14:33   #14

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Yea, if you ever come to Quartermaster harbor, Puget Sound, you are welcome to!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:05   #15

Boat: haida 26 hull#6 flush deck

im new to this group , i purchased , haida 26 hull#6 last october and am currently tiddying it up for the spring, hope to have alot of fun with this little wonder, i will probably have some questions in the near future, and look forward to reading more interesting threads from this group.
dwarford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Haida, paracelle