Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 15:44   #91

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Re: Gulfstar

We own and cruise a Gulfstar M53 Ketch. We love this boat! Currently in the Bahamas. Happy to answer questions about what we know or connect with other Gulfstar owners..
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 13:40   #92

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I purchased a 78 Gulfstar 37 in Sausalito last October and spent about six months refitting and updating the systems before beating up the coast to Washington.

They are essentially a big (50') boat crammed into a 37' hull with good sailing qualities, spacious accommodations, ample stowage in a heavily built-10 tons-vessel. Perfect for cruising the San Juans, Queen Charlottes, northern Puget Sound and the inside passage to Alaska.

The Pacific was not in a good mood during my voyage but Egret came through with flying colors. Double reefed in 30 knots with 10' swells and I could still sleep soundly. I have previously owned a Hunter Legend and a Catalina 36 and I would have dreaded being aboard either in such conditions. Unlike most modern masthead rigs, which rely on the power of the head sail, the Gulfstar allows for a mainsail which is actually large enough to maintain firm control of the vessel.

My wife and I have nothing but positives to say about this boat. Once I addressed the issues caused by the neglect of the previous owners, it's been everything I knew it would.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 22:18   #93

Absolutely right , I am looking at a 1990 Gulfstar 4600 Pilothouse it's a smoke boat, BUT CAN'T FIND ANYTHING , mostly it's about yachts. Is there anyone out there that might know something to help me ? Anything you might know would be helpful! 1990 is a bit odd as well considering Viking bought them in 1989? Do they have inherit problems?
kevinmay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 10:05   #94

That would not be a 1990 Gulfstar. I visited the old Gulfstar building yard in St. Petersburg a few years ago and spoke to one of Lazzara's (the founder of Gulfstar) sons. I told him I had hull #20 of the GS 54 Sailcruiser, and he said that boat was built in 1987 and one of the last boats we built.

It might be an early Viking, but I cannot imagine why someone would put a Gulfstar badge on it. If you send me the Hull Identification Number on the transom, I can decode it for you and maybe help you find out what you are looking at.

Mark
mlucitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 20:19   #95

Thanks mlucitt , much appreciated, the boats up for Auction and I thought it sounded a bit sus, as I understood they sold to Viking prior? I couldn't find anything on the net so I figured some-one here may know a little! I don't think I will bother with it , it is all a bit vague and I need take delivery and then sail her around the top of Australia and down the West coast , about 7000 nm. Thanks for ya help!
kevinmay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 03:39   #96

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

There is a 1975 Gulfstar M53 Ketch in great condition and nicely loaded available in Tampa, FL. You can PM me for details.
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 14:11   #97

Does anyone know where we can find a mast for a 1979 Gulfstar 50 ketch? We broke ours recently and need to replace it.
Lansux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 15:00   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansux View Post
Does anyone know where we can find a mast for a 1979 Gulfstar 50 ketch? We broke ours recently and need to replace it.
Ouch! No Idea where to get a new mast other than the normal places (Port Townsend Rigging for example)

Where are you located and are you replacing the boom too?

If so I could use the cast end collar of the boom.

What hull number by the way? I have hull #3
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 15:02   #99
Marine Service Provider

Also try the facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/112929912064450 if you are not already there.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:47   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Ouch! No Idea where to get a new mast other than the normal places (Port Townsend Rigging for example)

Where are you located and are you replacing the boom too?

If so I could use the cast end collar of the boom.

What hull number by the way? I have hull #3

We are in Panama City, FL now. No, we are not replacing the boom. I believe our hull number is either 34 or 134. Not sure how to decipher the long hull number.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:56   #101
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
We are in Panama City, FL now. No, we are not replacing the boom. I believe our hull number is either 34 or 134. Not sure how to decipher the long hull number.
She is hull 134 - There were 2 different HIN formats used on the GS50. Yours is the second. The model year is 1979 but built in 1978. There should be a letter after the M79 in you HIN or perhaps it actually got left off. That would be the month code. Likely a D or an E.

Take a look here: https://itstillruns.com/decode-bayli...-10040889.html

Still your best bet is the Gulfstar facebook group.

Best of luck.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:27   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
She is hull 134 - There were 2 different HIN formats used on the GS50. Yours is the second. The model year is 1979 but built in 1978. There should be a letter after the M79 in you HIN or perhaps it actually got left off. That would be the month code. Likely a D or an E.

Take a look here: https://itstillruns.com/decode-bayli...-10040889.html

Still your best bet is the Gulfstar facebook group.

Best of luck.
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I did sign up for the facebook group.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56   #103
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I did sign up for the facebook group.
No problem welcome to the GS50 crowd. Your boat has a rich history including a pirate boarding off Costa Rica.

I'll see you on facebook.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:25   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreDoug View Post
I purchased a 78 Gulfstar 37 in Sausalito last October and spent about six months refitting and updating the systems before beating up the coast to Washington.

They are essentially a big (50') boat crammed into a 37' hull with good sailing qualities, spacious accommodations, ample stowage in a heavily built-10 tons-vessel. Perfect for cruising the San Juans, Queen Charlottes, northern Puget Sound and the inside passage to Alaska.

The Pacific was not in a good mood during my voyage but Egret came through with flying colors. Double reefed in 30 knots with 10' swells and I could still sleep soundly. I have previously owned a Hunter Legend and a Catalina 36 and I would have dreaded being aboard either in such conditions. Unlike most modern masthead rigs, which rely on the power of the head sail, the Gulfstar allows for a mainsail which is actually large enough to maintain firm control of the vessel.

My wife and I have nothing but positives to say about this boat. Once I addressed the issues caused by the neglect of the previous owners, it's been everything I knew it would.
Doug,

My wife and I just purchased a well maintained Gulfstar 37. Although well maintained some systems are dated and I would like to upgrade or install; refrigeration, add solar, add a water make and add AC .

Just curious about any repairs or upgrades you might have made.

So happy to read your comments about the Catalina and Hunter comfort level as compared to the Gulfstar. We were thinking about the Catalina for its more modern amenities but for that very reason went with the GS. 37
Jacknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 13:22   #105

I too had a Gulfstar 54 Sailcruiser. We had her for 4 years and reluctantly sold her (For more than we paid new.) For coastal motorsailing we found her to be excellent. She had 2 90hp yanmars and motorcruised at 9 knots. She was a ketch rig and all sails were electric rolling furling Hood type. When cruising we commonly motorsailed with phenominal stability. Very fuel efficient and the most comfortable boat that size I have ever been on. By the way, she had a full walk in engine room you could sleep 4 in. You could dock her on a dime with her twin screws. She had a protected running gear and only drew 4 ft. 10. I wish a boat like that was offered today. I have had 20 or so cruising boats in my like and I liked my Gulfstar 54 the most.
golfcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar, paracelle