Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 16:37   #1

Gulf of Mexico: Haul Out & Dry Storage for big monohull

I cannot believe it is so difficult to find something, but here is what I am still looking for:

Someplace in Texas (preferably), or perhaps Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana (or Florida as a last resort) where a boat of this size:

56' long
9 ft draft
64' mast clearance

can both make it to the facility and be hauled out in the facility.

And then put in long term storage on the hard (i.e. 1 year). Nothing crazy expensive and can weather some storms. It is long term storage so in the boonies is okay.

This is thousands of miles of coast line so so hopefully there's some options...

Thanks!
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:22   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Gulf of Mexico: Haul Out & Dry Storage for big monohull

Looking at your draft I'd have suggested the yards of Galveston, but you also need storm protection. Have you considered Mobile AL? Somewhere like Turner's Marine for example...

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 30-04-2014, 18:34   #3

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

There's a "nothing fancy" Boat Repair yard in Houma, Louisiana with a Travel lift that can Haul / Store your Boat and also look after it for you.
Your Draft and Length are not an issue, nor is your Mast Height as you won't be going under any Bridges to get there, it's a straight forward run up the Houma Navigational Canal and once you reach Houma hang a right and your there......easy peasy.
Remember, anywhere in the southern USA your going to be prone to any storms that may come through, however, the Yard won't flood...well I haven't seen it flood over the past 6 or 7 hurricanes...Wind Damage is what you need to secure against.
Monthly rates are really cheap...but, you'd have to talk to them yourself.
If this is of interest PM me and I'll get you the info.
Old 30-04-2014, 18:52   #4

Pensacola Shipyard on Bayou Chico. Meets all your needs. One 65 foot vertical clearance bridge on your ingress to the lift in the bayou.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

There are at least two yards in New Orleans that could handle your boat. Seabrook even has a keel pit to make it easier to get on and off the boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 20:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

+1 for both fryewe and stumble.

I've stayed a few of months on each (longer in Seabrook). Pensacola is accessible without any bridge issues but the bottom shoals rapidly just after the entrance to the yard in the channel.

Seabrook Marina in NOLA (located between Industrial and the Lake, accessible from ICW from the Rigolets) does have an excellent yard with reasonable prices. Last time I was there, I'd estimate at least 20 40'+ boats chocked up in the yard. They also have a "same day" service for any Westmarine catalogue part.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19   #7

If you're in Texas, have you looked into the tug yards up by Brady's Landing in Houston? Not your usual yacht spot, but I've seen sailboats up there. You'd have to deal with tugs and tankers, maybe check in with traffic, but it is pretty sheltered except for usual coastal flooding issues.
selkirksghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, haul out, hull, Mexico, monohull, storage