Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2022, 11:27   #1

Re: Furling boom

I try not to take the tragic examples and generalize them to the common. Can in-boom furlers jam? Yes. Can in-mast furlers jam? Sure. Can slab-reef sails jam? Absolutely. In fact, here's me being hoisted up the sail in 25+ knots of wind because a batten busted through the sail on a slab-reef system and jammed on the spreader.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Batten.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	269035

I've sailed with in-boom, in-mast, and slab reef systems extensively. There are lots of variables, and for me it depends on the boat and system.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 12:26   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Furling boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondit View Post
I try not to take the tragic examples and generalize them to the common. Can in-boom furlers jam? Yes. Can in-mast furlers jam? Sure. Can slab-reef sails jam? Absolutely. In fact, here's me being hoisted up the sail in 25+ knots of wind because a batten busted through the sail on a slab-reef system and jammed on the spreader.

Attachment 269035

I've sailed with in-boom, in-mast, and slab reef systems extensively. There are lots of variables, and for me it depends on the boat and system.
I agree. They all work, and all can fail. A boat the size of a CNB 66 with a 100 ft mast - well, a powered furler system is the only realistic option - and in-boom is definitely preferable. Nothing else would sell. Nobody wants to reef a full batten main on a 100 ft mast.

However, the OP was considering single-handing a new 44 ft monohull and how to equip it. Which would you recommend?

Although I have sailed other boats, larger and smaller, I own and single-hand a 44' sloop. I suggested the criteria of being able to reef while sailing off wind. It's why I like what I have, and I didn't hear anyone else mention it.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling