Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2022, 14:30   #1

Boat: S&S Defiance 30
Furler-how many turns?

When we acquired our S&S 30, the genoa had been shredded in a storm and had been removed from the boat. We now have a new genoa and am wondering how many turns will be required on the furler when it comes time to install it? Currently the boat is on the hard getting some maintenance done and new standing and running rigging installed.

The genoa foot is 5.15m (16.9'). Is there a rule of thumb for this or is it trial and error? Any help will be much appreciated. It's an older style furler as per pic Click image for larger version

Name:	CAD52705-343F-43AE-BBC5-2961D11DE259_1_102_o.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	264811
oztayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 15:31   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Furler-how many turns?

Assuming the genoa is the largest foresail, just roll the furler up "all the way". You'll be sure to have enough and it won't cause any problem with smaller sails.
Old 22-09-2022, 16:16   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Assuming the genoa is the largest foresail, just roll the furler up "all the way". You'll be sure to have enough and it won't cause any problem with smaller sails.
He wants to buy the rope. How much does he need?

I don't know sh** about furlers so I can't tell him.
Old 22-09-2022, 16:26   #4

OK, do I just load up the furler with as many turns as it will take? I have the old furler line so I could just put as many turns on as it will take, leaving about a foot of line as it leaves the clutch?
Old 22-09-2022, 16:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Get some other rope on the boat, with a similar diameter....ie, anchor rode, sheet line, etc, and wrap it around the furler with a few wraps...then turn the furler by hand, so as to furl the sail all the way, allowing a few more turns to wrap the sheet lines around the sail, say three or four times, to help keep the sail secure, and lead the rope back thru' your furler blocks and to a winch. Leave a little bit for handling...that's how much line you'll need.

Typically, most furlers have those metal arms around the furling drum to contain the furling line. You don't want to have the furling line so tightly packed around the drum to bind on those arms. It's judgement call that only you can make. If you measure as outlined above, but find the rope binds, maybe remove the original few wraps to create more space around the drum.

I don't know of any hard and fast formula to work this out, as each boat will require a slightly different setup.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 16:36   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztayls View Post
OK, do I just load up the furler with as many turns as it will take? I have the old furler line so I could just put as many turns on as it will take, leaving about a foot of line as it leaves the clutch?
That's what I would do. Worst case if it somehow doesn't work you remove the sail and adjust. I find ours changes position a bit every time we change foresails, and I just add or remove a couple of turns if it's a problem.
Old 22-09-2022, 16:36   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

To some extent, it's trial and error. If you are able to furl the genoa without any rope attached, then put four or five turns on, then you should be ok. This might be very hard.

If you can't do that, then you can fill the drum with the sail off. Then bend on the sail, furl it, and after it's furled keep furling it to take out the extra turns, leaving 4 or 5. And the unwrap the sheets from the sail.

I don't like having more than I need because if the rope doesn't lay perfectly in some emergency when I furl in a hurry I don't want it to jam. But I also want 4 or 5 extra turns more than the minimum needed because if the sail furls under a load it will roll up tighter and need a few extra turns.

You might find after a few sails you need to add or remove a turn.
Old 22-09-2022, 16:41   #8

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztayls View Post

If you have the old furler line, why don’t you use that one to start with?
It was presumably fine for the previous genoa.

If it works (and you want to replace it), just replace it with the same length.

If you think you need more or less then make the adjustment.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 16:52   #9

We do about 10 raps ! rotating down to the angle of the furler, if you understand ! Our sails are 43 yrs old and still crisp,with covers ! When other boats have had their issues with blowing out, and or stress, we have never had an issue with the wind causing a problem, that should be the boat owners job to make sure all is secure ! Our out hauls, sheets start high about 12 ft off the deck and then wrap downward till there ar3e around ten wraps !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 17:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Get some other rope on the boat, with a similar diameter....ie, anchor rode, sheet line, etc, and wrap it around the furler with a few wraps...then turn the furler by hand, so as to furl the sail all the way, allowing a few more turns to wrap the sheet lines around the sail, say three or four times, to help keep the sail secure, and lead the rope back thru' your furler blocks and to a winch. Leave a little bit for handling...that's how much line you'll need.

Typically, most furlers have those metal arms around the furling drum to contain the furling line. You don't want to have the furling line so tightly packed around the drum to bind on those arms. It's judgement call that only you can make. If you measure as outlined above, but find the rope binds, maybe remove the original few wraps to create more space around the drum.

I don't know of any hard and fast formula to work this out, as each boat will require a slightly different setup.
OK, that makes sense. Many thanks for your help. Cheers!
Old 22-09-2022, 17:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
If you have the old furler line, why don’t you use that one to start with?
It was presumably fine for the previous genoa.

If it works (and you want to replace it), just replace it with the same length.

If you think you need more or less then make the adjustment.
The line is somewhat degraded, hence being replaced. But yes, I will do that. I just don't know how many turns were used. I'll just put on the max and go from there
Old 22-09-2022, 17:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
We do about 10 raps ! rotating down to the angle of the furler, if you understand ! Our sails are 43 yrs old and still crisp,with covers ! When other boats have had their issues with blowing out, and or stress, we have never had an issue with the wind causing a problem, that should be the boat owners job to make sure all is secure ! Our out hauls, sheets start high about 12 ft off the deck and then wrap downward till there ar3e around ten wraps !
That's amazing. We have chosen to not go with sun protection on the genoa. Instead, we will have a zipped sock that we can hoist using the spinnaker halyard (masthead).
Old 22-09-2022, 18:49   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So not to be a spoil sport but is the sail going on exactly like what was there if not then you will have to figure out how long of furling line you need by basically trying one of the above mentioned methods

For mine I did try a like for like but was dissatisfied with the results and ended up splicing a smaller diameter line to furl with a larger diameter for handling
Old 22-09-2022, 18:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So not to be a spoil sport but is the sail going on exactly like what was there if not then you will have to figure out how long of furling line you need by basically trying one of the above mentioned methods

For mine I did try a like for like but was dissatisfied with the results and ended up splicing a smaller diameter line to furl with a larger diameter for handling
That may prove to be quite true. A smaller line around the furler might well be a good way to go.
Old 23-09-2022, 05:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Small diameter furling lines are tough to grab and pull is my big complaint about small diameter lines, but if you are good at splicing (I'm not) it's a worthy project for sure.

Some folks will lead their small diameter furling lines to a winch, which will likely address that problem.

The furling does need to be a high strength line as their will be quite a load on it.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler