Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2009, 08:10   #1

If you like the idea of a free standing spar and one big mainsail for ease of handling, you should also check out the Nonsuch 30 and 36. Excellent coastal cruising boats with a lot of room below due to the max beam being carried well forward and aft, but kind of pricey.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:27   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Freedom Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
If you like the idea of a free standing spar and one big mainsail for ease of handling, you should also check out the Nonsuch 30 and 36. Excellent coastal cruising boats with a lot of room below due to the max beam being carried well forward and aft, but kind of pricey.
These are sneaky fast boats, easy to sail and with a modern underbody hidden by traditional looks. One thing though, I've seen a couple that have grounded hard and the grids on both those boats were compromised. Otherwise nicely performing, simply rigged boats.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 14:22   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
These are sneaky fast boats, easy to sail and with a modern underbody hidden by traditional looks. One thing though, I've seen a couple that have grounded hard and the grids on both those boats were compromised. Otherwise nicely performing, simply rigged boats.
What freedoms have grids? Mine doesn't or am I misunderstanding what you mean by grid?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 18:43   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What freedoms have grids? Mine doesn't or am I misunderstanding what you mean by grid?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Total brain fart, I was thinking of a couple of Nonsuch catboats at the time, after a certain age your brain isn't as sharp at certain times of the day. Because of their wide, spacious hulls they have reinforcement ribs in the bilge around the keel area, I had a friend interested in buying one years ago and looked at a couple auction boats for him. The two I saw both had grounded at speed and there were a number of ribs in the bilge around the keel which had obvious cracks that would have been too extensive to fix in a cost effective manner.
I've looked over several boats of a different design which had been subject to groundings and didn't find the same issues, except of course for one or two that hit hard enough to rip the keel stubs partially out of the boat, but those cases were much more extreme and catastrophic. Of course the auctioneers will all tell you they're simple to fix.
Next time I'll actually read what I wrote before posting it so I don't have a total lapse of memory.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote