Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 04:38   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: First keel sailboat for single hand learning?

I'd much rather cross more slowly and until autopilot control with winds maybe 15 knots or so.

Winds were just starting to come up in video below....

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:51   #32

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

Bullseye Boats For Sale. This could be just the thing! A Herreshoff design.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:58   #33

pirate Re: First keel sailboat for single hand learning?

Take ASA101, 103, and 104.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:10   #34

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Kite, appears you have resolved to stay w/ a sunfish....but if you change your mind and still in the mkt for a fixed keel, non-trailerable boat I would 2nd the Catalina 22 and the J24...neither can hurt you too much economically and the J's are just so quick and fun to sail...and relatively dry...I learned on a J and had a Catalina 27, also cheap (< $5000), so would think the 22 would be like wise, a good boat to cut your teeth on....What about your local colleges? check to see if they have sailing classes....typically less $$ than ASA classes...Also colleges may be looking for volunteers to keep up their boats....good experience...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:14   #35

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

The answer will depend on where you are. But The Edel 665 is a great little boat, handles very much like a big dinghy, lots of fun to sail. also the Shark 24 is a great boat with lots to teach you both cruising and racing and there are fleets world wide.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:24   #36

To OP.

Check out Beneteau First 235. Despite its designation as "23.5'" it's actual LOD is 21.5', the ad'l footage is from transom hung rudder. Most US models out of almost 700 made have regular fin or wing keel. Very simple on deck and great both as a first "real sailboat" as well as a downsizer boat. I've had late 70s O'Day 25 before (whence my CF handle) and inside it felt not much bigger than First 235 feels. Also a big plus IMO that First 235 has no separate v-berth adding to spacious feel belowdecks. Real marine head, which was a standard equipment is a big plus.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:33   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

You might want to check out this lady's site. She's been living on Good Old Boats for about 10 years.

I believe she has owned maybe 5 boats over that period all for like $6,000 or less.

She has cruised up and down the East coats USA several times.

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:29   #38
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
I was planning to learn the ropes with something like a Sunfish. After the feedback I had had here, I decided to upgrade the plans. I want to start with a small keel sailboat with ballast now - a step that I don't want to skip, and if I will take that path, then why not start with it all together. I wish to have a dry learning experience - really considered all the other options, not an easy decision.

Some specs in my mind:
Fin keel​
Spade rudder​
Tiller steered
Fractional sloop​ rig
Outboard
With or without cabin
No galley
Portable head or no head at all
As simple as possible

I don't want a trailer-able sailboat with centerboard, swing keel, wing keel, or shoal keel. I'll need a deep fin keel - and a dock, not a truck. Seaworthiness, fun, and ease of handling single handed is important for me.

Possibly an 18 - 22 ft keel sailboat to learn the ropes- I don't think I'll need anything longer as I am considering locations suitable for Sunfish and such.

A little reminder about me: I have no sailing experience, but some theorical knowledge. My eventual goal is to eventually be able to sail something 30 - 40 ft.

Is that a good plan? Am I missing something? A big mistake? Or whatever the community would like to say about it. Thanks.
OK. I get it that you want to learn how to sail...but that doesn't paint much of a picture. WHY? What is the purpose? Once learned are you just going to sail around the pond/lake or are you going to sail coastal or offshore? These decisions will lead you to the best boat for you now.

If you are going to sail in confined waters and/or race then it doesn't much matter what you start with. You can even join a sailing club and skip ownership but there are two sides of the coin; sailing and boat ownership...you learn nothing of any significance sailing someone else's boat. If you have voyages in mind then you should start with a somewhat larger boat, 22' or greater. There are many makes/models to choose from.

My experience started with a 22' Tanzer with fixed keel and I taught myself the basics on San Pablo and San Francisco Bays, CA. When I moved to Puget Sound I graduated to a San Juan 28 and made many a journey into beautiful British Columbia, a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island, and even to Alaska...all solo.

Read all you can and just DO IT!

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:52   #39

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Com pac has some smaller sailboats that feel and act like much larger boats. That said, there is plenty of sailboats in most boatyards that can fit the bill.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:04   #40

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Of the boats I have sailed, from 7'-40', the easiest boat I sailed was our Tartan 27. Very sturdy sails well, and will sail herself for quite some time just playing with centerboard and sail trim. A little bigger than you asked about, but it will be a long time, if ever, that you will outgrow it. Can be had inexpensively these days, but will require some work. But all boats do!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:08   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
... Catalina 22 and the J24... a Catalina 27, also cheap (< $5000).....What about your local colleges? check to see if they have sailing classes....typically less $$ than ASA classes...Also colleges may be looking for volunteers to keep up their boats....good experience...
Monohulls _/) Jboats
Catamarans _/) Seawind
Big fan of these boats. They make sense to me.

I would go with J/22 instead of J/24 or Cat22. Catalina 27 is something I would pass.

The classes will work after buying the last sailboat, so that I can put the knowledge into action. Maybe joining a sailing club and utilize their sailboats and classes.

Now, being a volunteer to keep up the boats and learning how-to stuff is a good idea.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
To OP.

Check out Beneteau First 235. Despite its designation as "23.5'" it's actual LOD is 21.5', the ad'l footage is from transom hung rudder. Most US models out of almost 700 made have regular fin or wing keel. Very simple on deck and great both as a first "real sailboat" as well as a downsizer boat. I've had late 70s O'Day 25 before (whence my CF handle) and inside it felt not much bigger than First 235 feels. Also a big plus IMO that First 235 has no separate v-berth adding to spacious feel belowdecks. Real marine head, which was a standard equipment is a big plus.
I heard they were well built and sail well regardless of the weather. Nice details.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
OK. I get it that you want to learn how to sail...but that doesn't paint much of a picture. WHY? What is the purpose? Once learned are you just going to sail around the pond/lake or are you going to sail coastal or offshore? These decisions will lead you to the best boat for you now.

If you are going to sail in confined waters and/or race then it doesn't much matter what you start with. You can even join a sailing club and skip ownership but there are two sides of the coin; sailing and boat ownership...you learn nothing of any significance sailing someone else's boat. If you have voyages in mind then you should start with a somewhat larger boat, 22' or greater. There are many makes/models to choose from.

My experience started with a 22' Tanzer with fixed keel and I taught myself the basics on San Pablo and San Francisco Bays, CA. When I moved to Puget Sound I graduated to a San Juan 28 and made many a journey into beautiful British Columbia, a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island, and even to Alaska...all solo.

Read all you can and just DO IT!

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
I know I've not given decent info about my future plans and sailing location. It's because I don't know the answers to those questions yet either. Long, long story... What I know is I'll move to the East Coast this summer. Things shall be clearer mid-summer. It's just a Sunfish will work anyway. My threads here were more about how to start sailing in more of a generic way. Regardless of what I will do or where I will be, a Sunfish experience will help me; I learned that and had my basic plans and opinions validated, which I needed to hear from experienced folks.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:52   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
I needed to hear from experienced folks.
How do you know that the person you're following knows where they're going..................or whether you're even going to the same place??

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How do you know that the person you're following knows where they're going..................or whether you're even going to the same place??
Nice one.

I don't follow anybody though. I just asked the sailors here about their first sailboat experience, which I don't have. In the end, I make my own decision in the light of what I want.

We need a yawning Smilie here at CF.

Tags
boat, keel, learning, sail, sailboat, single