Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2023, 12:51   #1

Finding Permanent Moorage in the PNW and What to do While you Wait.

Good afternoon.

I Have some questions regarding finding permanent moorage for a boat in the PNW. I've done some searching (albeit not exhaustive) on the subject and didn't see much so I figured I would post.

The specifics of my scenario:

In the market for a monohull sailboat for cruising through the San Juan Islands. I've found a boat that seems to check all of the boxes but I cannot find a slip available anywhere. What do people do in this scenario? Are people using transient moorage until they come up on a waiting list??

The gentleman helping to sell the boat said moorage up in the San Juans was a "boots on the ground" sort of a thing. Suggesting lots of slips transfer without showing up officially on the waiting list. Not sure if this means people are sub-letting moorage or? Maybe people own slips that aren't reflected in the marinas waiting list?

In any case, obviously figuring out moorage is a big part of the decision to press forward on the purchase so I'm looking to hear from some on the forum regarding how they would/could/have handled this scenario.

Stats for the boat in consideration currently: 43' LOA, 13.5' beam, 5' draft, 54' mast height from water line.

Thank in advance for any feedback.

Also just hopped on this forum so If I need to post this in General Sailing (or elsewhere) please let me know.

AG
MotoAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 14:07   #2

Boat: C&C 33 Mk1
Re: Finding Permanent Moorage in the PNW and What to do While you Wait.

What are the current owners doing? I've seen people on YouTube who berth in Vancouver, BC and then sail to San Juans...You could put an ad up in the San Juans looking for unused private docks or people willing to let you raft up for a price. That takes a lot of trust though.
Traveler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 15:06   #3

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Boots on the ground means talking to suitable marinas on a constant basis, and getting yourself known. If you're in constant contact, you know you are at least on their waiting list. Often the same people are on all the waiting lists too ... so if one goes off a list because they got a slip, they often go off it everywhere. Constant contact got us our slip thirteen years ago when one became available.

My neighbour here also has a boat in my marina, but he does not have a permanent slip. He pays the monthly transient rate to keep his 45' trawler in the marina while he's on the list for a permanent slip. Relatively expensive for him but less so than his previous permanent slip closer to Victoria cost. Always lots of winter moorage available though ... mid September through May 1 ... so that may be an option at some marinas.

You won't have any luck with Vancouver area marinas imo ... and some of them are in the Fraser River. Returning to a river marina (if you got in) means a couple of hours bucking a strong river current (especially June-July) or timing it around high tide to mitigate the river's effects. I see ads for Point Roberts marina from time to time. It's in the USA but road access means traveling through Canada to get there. Might work for you though cause no border to cross once you set sail.

A lot of slips are 40' or shorter so a 43' boat presents another issue to overcome. I've got a 42' boat in a 40'slip, the largest my marina allows. Longer slips are at even more of a premium imo. Best of luck finding something ... imo you're doing the right thing looking for a slip before closing a purchase.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 17:41   #4

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I just spent the winter in Seattle on a job, I go there most years for two to three months for work. I've been considering buying a boat to stay on when there, so I was looking. I drove the shores in Seattle and found moorage advertised on site, on Lake Union and farther out. I also found condo slips for sale in Anacortes for around $200k that would fit your boat.
I think the advice to get your "boots on the ground" is right, slips are there, you just have to go to them.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 18:23   #5

Semiahmoo Marina in Blaine Wa. has a couple of 40' slips listed in their classified section to purchase at about $70 to $80K. A call to Marina would confirm availability and/or determine if anyone is subletting their slip long term.

Nice Marina, a bit windy, close to the SJ's and appears to be well run.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 18:28   #6

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoAG View Post
Good afternoon.

I Have some questions regarding finding permanent moorage for a boat in the PNW. I've done some searching (albeit not exhaustive) on the subject and didn't see much so I figured I would post.

In the market for a monohull sailboat for cruising through the San Juan Islands. I've found a boat that seems to check all of the boxes but I cannot find a slip available anywhere. What do people do in this scenario? Are people using transient moorage until they come up on a waiting list??

The gentleman helping to sell the boat said moorage up in the San Juans was a "boots on the ground" sort of a thing. Suggesting lots of slips transfer without showing up officially on the waiting list. Not sure if this means people are sub-letting moorage or? Maybe people own slips that aren't reflected in the marinas waiting list?

In any case, obviously figuring out moorage is a big part of the decision to press forward on the purchase so I'm looking to hear from some on the forum regarding how they would/could/have handled this scenario.

Stats for the boat in consideration currently: 43' LOA, 13.5' beam, 5' draft, 54' mast height from water line.

Also just hopped on this forum so If I need to post this in General Sailing (or elsewhere) please let me know.

AG

AG, I had the same concern when shopping for a boat last year in the PNW. When I found one I was interested in, I started calling around to marina's regarding available moorage, like you found, the marina's were all filled up. A buyers agent I know told me, "just buy the boat, you'll find a home for it". Which is my recommendation. Below are details of my story if you want to read further.

My understanding is, if you show up at a marina with a decent boat and you don't look like a deadbeat, you'll likely move up the wait list ahead of those still dreaming of buying a boat. Boots on the ground maybe?

My story: While in the process of buying the boat I currently have, one of the marina's I contacted prior, called and said they had a slip available, when three days before they did not. Although I hadn't closed on the boat yet, I secured the slip with a deposit. During the two months to close the deal and move the boat from Shilshole to Blaine, the 36' slip became unavailable, but they had a 40' one (+$) and then two weeks later another 36' slip became available. Depending on where you're looking, transient rates can be expensive. The boat I bought was at Shilshole Marina and I had to pay transient moorage at $500/week until I could move the boat north, where my moorage is under $400/month, ouch! That is the risk of having to pay transient rates. But then the marina gets to know you and if you're not a deadbeat, which I'll assume you're not, then you might get a slip sooner.

Good luck,

DD
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 19:51   #7

Thank you for the responses so far.

All great feedback. It's good to hear that its not as bleak out there as the on-line wait lists would suggest. Also re-assuring that everyone is echoing the words of the seller.

Would be great to continue hearing thoughts from others in the area.
MotoAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 20:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Have you tried Blaine Harbor? If they say they are full ask about the transient dock and rates. That place has a huge transient dock.

Two years ago they had a lot of open slips. I was told just show up and we will get you a slip. I didn’t even reserve one. I did as they said and I had a slip on arrival.

Good luck MotoAG.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 20:06   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Point Roberts is advertising 40' and 50' slips at present. Friends who have kept boats there indicate that it is a very good marina, provides excellent access to the San Juans and BC's Gulf Islands, and the border hassles can be minimized with a Nexus pass. Good luck.
Old 16-04-2023, 20:16   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Two years ago I heard Point Roberts was not keeping up with dredging the channel into the marina. I hope they got that squared up by now. But it would be something to ask about for sure if you want to come and go whenever you want. Instead of waiting for high tide.

I’m sure it’s a great place though. I’ve been to the entrance of it and heard nice things about it.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 22:01   #11

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Further South, but our marina in Port Orchard now has a slip that you could sublet immediately for a 57' boat, then move over to another sublet next month for a 55' boat which should be open until September (the boat will be in Alaska), when we leave for good, heading South. Our boat is 57'. We're two easy days to the San Juans, or one LONG day, WX/tides depending. Slip runs about $750/mo plus electric. Give me a shout if you want more info.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 23:53   #12

Boat: Cal 39 Mark II

Rates have increased with new owners, but there often seems to be room at Elliott Bay Marina.
s3raphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 06:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Good afternoon.

AG
There are 50' slips available now in my marina . Railway marina. In port orchard .
Old 17-04-2023, 11:38   #14

Quote:
Good afternoon.

AG
guess you are looking USA only?
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 15:11   #15

Im in the same 'boat' after accepting a $5K move-out payment to leave my marina to accomodate rate increases exceeding the legal limits. And I saw that Roche harbor was advertising about $5 per foot. Marinas arent clear about advertising, maybe that is PER NIGHT! Im currently in transient moorage at a relatively high rate and limited duration waiting for summer if we get that this year. We will see! I did find a private party who wantd to offer his personal waterfront dock in order to keep the random users out, the vagrant types who come occupy without permission and come and go by river. This is techincally illegal but now there is a movement to make dock sharing officially OK through an ap for dock sharing. And there is waterfront space galore in private hands that could be used to relieve the price increase and shortage of space
I was shopping for space at Semiahmoo and saw 40 foot slips around $25K two years ago and now they are fully twice that price. And for every dollar that slip fees increase, I suspect the value of the average boat is then Decreased as a result.
Its all got me thinking, Hmm, Panama? Guatemala? The Netherlands?
In my area of the North Oregon Coast we have empty public, tax supported marinas that refuse any sailboat moorage in order to promote the fishing use. What's goin on here and we sailors pay taxes too. I feel its a violation of public rights of equal use, and of course it all arouses the conflict of power VS sail and the nature lovers VS the high dollar guides with their 300 HP outboards and thousand dollar per day charter business.
But ultimately the waterways are public property and may not be owned, bought and sold and if this reduces the average boat owner to a transient, then I guess thats the state of our world. Also going the way of the salmon and the rest of the natural world...insects and butterflies decimated to a remnant.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PNW