Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 19:58   #16

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Finding a first sailboat

It sounds like your are looking in the $20K range, with the understanding that you may need to put some money into it. If you go on the smaller side, you can find newer boats and potentially ones in better condition. You really want to avoid the project boats - ones with wet decks, marginal engines, etc. Any old boat will need work. The trick is finding one that is basically solid and just needs updating. I would take a look at something like a Catalina 30. LOTS of them out there, great support from a mfr still in business, and probably as much interior space as many boats several feet longer. I prefer higher performance boats, but the Cat 30 is a great package for many sailors.
JimsCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 21:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Suggestion: 1990s Hunter 30T.

Look for the "T" model.

Here is an example a few years older, but the layout is similar or same.

1988 Hunter 30T Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 21:09   #18

Boat: None currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
That's my 2 cents, and maybe worth half that.

I totally agree with you. I think some variation of that is what I'll end up doing.
Speedphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:14   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sounds like you are describing a Pearson Vanguard.
32' Sailboat for sale
(I know it's not in your neighborhood, just here as an example)
But personally I wouldn't get wheel steering. Don't leave out boats from the 50s and 60s... I kid you not. That's back when they really built 'em. I got my '62 Columbia 29 in fairly good shape for $4000. But I didn't haggle. To me that particular boat is worth it, and the kid selling it needed a break, he had gotten in over his head. I really cannot think of any 29 footer I'd rather have of any vintage, but that's just me. It is a stout boat, sails well, definitely no structural issues (or leaks, knock on wood!) except for the mast support which I took care of. The downside of the classics for some folks is they are not very roomy on the inside. They have low freeboard, which some count as a negative, but I do not.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:49   #20

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

There are those on this forum who are far more qualified to answer your questions than I, but this is from my own experience.

1. Start cheap. Unless you know those in your party absolutely love sailing and can understand what it is like to be out on a calm lake (ocean) and suddenly a storm with high winds and heavy seas comes out of no-where. I was able to get my first sailboat cheap because the GF of the guy from whom I bought it realized she didn't like sailing that much after all after being quite "gaga" about it initially. And when I say cheap, I mean under $5,000.. There are plenty of day/weekend sail boats which can be had in this price range. My little 26.5' Hunter ($4000) sleeps 4 fairly comfortable, but is definitely something you would not live aboard.

2.On that small sailboat learn to sail and get the ASA101, 103, and 104 certifications and sail the boat every chance you get. Lots of the folks on this site have hundreds upon hundreds of hours on the water and can handle those sudden storms and seas which seem to come out of nowhere. Guess what? You learn to handle them by being out on the water.

3. If after a year or so in the small sailboat, your crew still really wants to live aboard, then get your self the main sail boat and have a blast.. In that year, you will have learned to sail fairly well and have read and learned lots about sailing by talking to and reading the posts in this forum. You will know lots of info about everything (such as getting insurance for that new to you boat) and you will have a more clear picture what you really want.

I know when I first decided to get a boat on which to live, about a year ago, I have significantly changed what I wanted several times. So take you time, start cheap and small (22 to 28 feet) and have fun.

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:53   #21

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Side note to my post above. My GF too appeared to share an enthusiasm for sailing as she had actually previously lived aboard a couple of boats. But once we got out on a sail boat as it leaned over, she re-found her fear of the water, and then wanted nothing more to do with it. So did I put my sail boat up for sale? Nope, I got a new girl friend <LOL>..

Have fun with it. It is a vida loca.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:54   #22

It is a great time to purchase a boat - the prices are very low.

I would recommend a Catalina 30 as a great starter - if and when you decide to sell it - it is an easy one to sell quickly. The engine is easy to access - and trust me - an easy access engine on a sailboat means that you will take better care and not break your back doing so.

All of the Catalina boats are still supported by a company that is still very much in business - SO - you can still call them up and order a new interior or a complete set of standing rigging for a fraction of what a custom interior or rigger would charge.

The open well lit interior is unlike the cave experience of many of the older boats out there - so a 1978 Catalina is airy and easy to be in - a very different experience from almost all other brands from that time.

Start off with a reasonably "perfect" boat - meaning no real issues. Pricing is so low now that unless you are on the broke side of things - buying a good boat is the way to go.

In almost all cases boats sell for 10-40% below asking. On older boats the price may already be quite low - but even then you would be surprised how motivating constant monthly dock fees can be to a seller.

Another Great reason to purchase a good solid working boat is to have fun and not worry or be required to tinker. While you may enjoy tinkering - think about the rest of the crew - they should get a feel of the fun and not just have to pat you on the back all the time in hopes of finally getting out there.

If you can afford the jump to a Catalina 36 you gain a shower - I consider it a requirement but I have to say I had a great time on my first boat which was a Cal 20.

You can install a shower in a Cat 30 no problem.

I have never lost a dime on a boat - even after all expenses including dock fees. I have only met one other person that can say this. I only purchase popular brands now and only ones that don't need much work if any. However I am currently redoing a very rough Power Boat because I absolutely fell in love with the layout and I have no intention of ever selling it.

It is just as easy to get a great boat for pennies as it is to get a project boat for pennies - though the price will be different: but if you take into account the actual cost of repair which is roughly 3 times the estimated cost of repair - generally the project boat is a looser by comparison ( a few projects does not make a project boat - they all have them - even new boats).

If you are buying relatively New you can still find huge deals are out there all day long.

If you can afford a newish boat - 1990s and above - get one with a scoop on the stern - this is great for dogs and all sorts of other things such as keeping fish guts out of the cockpit, showering off the back (they often come with a hand held shower wand - which also comes in handy for cleaning off your big Lab and you and fish guts and slime). And because you can stand next to the waterline you can grab dogs and kids and everyone else with relative ease. Scoops also help with getting on and off a dinghy and putting on the engine and getting onto and off of a SUP or Kayak. They are also a perfect place for dangling feet into the water and watching the sunset!
Wetankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:07   #23

Catalina 27 is also a safe choice for a first boat. Resale value is good. Sails well, pretty roomy for a 27.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-08-2016, 12:26   #24

Added thoughts:
One very big added thought - definitely get a boat that backs up well - by that I mean one that you can steer in reverse. Some boats simply do not back up well at all and they are NOT fun for a beginner or anyone. i would also suggest not purchasing a boat with a lot of weather helm - particularly one with a tiller.

Some other manufacturers such as Benateau have been continously in business BUT many little parts such as stachions and some of their rub-rail is no longer to be found - you either have to have them cast at a local foundery (as I have had done) or you have to accept an alternate often mismatching element - or pay a fortune or wait for a very long time until you snag them here and there. I have never found one part of a Catalina that is not easily purchased same day.
Old 25-08-2016, 12:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Catalina 27 is also a safe choice for a first boat. Resale value is good. Sails well, pretty roomy for a 27.
Very true! And the pricing is a very considerable jump down from the Cat 30s - Often a 10,000 price difference or more.
Old 25-08-2016, 12:43   #26

If you can find your first boat with a dodger already added - this is a very desirable addition and a new one is typically in the $3600+ range.

Refrigeration and Hot and Cold water are also big pluses. Refrigeration starts at $1000 and is more along the lines of $3000 installed - though an Alder-Barbour self install is great and relatively easy for smaller boats.

Hot water is roughly also not a bad project at about $600-900 on a small boat but if you can find one with a dodger, hot and cold and refrigeration - you just saved a bundle!
Old 25-08-2016, 13:11   #27

Consider a Newport 30. Great boats that offer big bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 19:17   #28

I second the Newport 30

Fun and fairly fast and a good bargain
Old 28-08-2016, 07:49   #29

Boat: None currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetankles View Post
Added thoughts:
One very big added thought - definitely get a boat that backs up well - by that I mean one that you can steer in reverse. Some boats simply do not back up well at all and they are NOT fun for a beginner or anyone. i would also suggest not purchasing a boat with a lot of weather helm - particularly one with a tiller.
I completely agree with you. How do you determine this though? Is it a matter of getting out am backing up a lot of boats so as to have a frame of reference? I am assuming that there is no good/bad dividing line and it is just a subjective thing? Are there certain design features of a boat that contribute and make it more difficult?
Speedphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 10:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedphreak View Post
I completely agree with you. How do you determine this though? Is it a matter of getting out am backing up a lot of boats so as to have a frame of reference? I am assuming that there is no good/bad dividing line and it is just a subjective thing? Are there certain design features of a boat that contribute and make it more difficult?
Fin keels and spade rudders will back up the best and they are generally the faster ones going forward too. Catalinas are fin keel/spade rudder boats. My boat has a long keel and rudder attached to keel. It generally has a mind of its own in reverse, but I do not love it for how it goes in reverse because I don't do that very often.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
sail, sailboat