Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2021, 11:48   #76

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Fat bottomed girls

on a wide stern boat, the double rudder is almost obligatory, the hull is very distorted and part of the rudder is out of the water ...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 16:16   #77

Boat: Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
on a wide stern boat, the double rudder is almost obligatory, the hull is very distorted and part of the rudder is out of the water ...
Yep, its pretty normal to float the windward rudder. They are short by comparison to a single rudder as they don't need the extended draft to counter any heel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119bb.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	249796
Whokickamoocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 01:19   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
Seems that Italia 11.98, X4³ mkII, or GS 44 do have rather wide transom, are single rudder, and do not have a very distorded hull ...

And are even good to very good sailboats ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	italia-1198.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	249818   Click image for larger version

Name:	X4.3-new_2-1920x1280.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	249819  

Name:	gs44.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	249820  
fc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 05:02   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I wonder about the twin rudders though.
The immersed rudder is doing all the work, but the windward rudder is semi in the air, semi in the water, often at an angle...drag ????
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 05:43   #80

Both rudders are at the same angle, so angular considerations are the same. The windward rudder, being partially submerged presents less drag. If the submerged rudder's strength and hydrodynamics are sufficient to maintain steerage, what would be the problem? Perhaps in a rough sea, the windward rudder would take some sudden sea forces, causing control problems. Sudden forces are a shock load, so the rudders and linkages would need to be strong enough. But even a single rudder system is subject to variable forces of seas.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:27   #81
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are wide bottomed girls and fat bottomed girls.the formosas are fat bottom girls and production boats of today are wide bottom girls.. is strange seeing fbg used on a wide bottom girl.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 07:09   #82

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are wide bottomed girls and fat bottomed girls.the formosas are fat bottom girls and production boats of today are wide bottom girls.. is strange seeing fbg used on a wide bottom girl.
Can't resist...

"I got an old fat boat, she's slow but handsome,
Hard in the chine and soft in the transom.
I love her well; she must love me,
But I think it's only for my money." - Gordon Bok, Old Fat Boat
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 07:50   #83

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The immersed rudder is doing all the work, but the windward rudder is semi in the air, semi in the water, often at an angle...drag ????
Drag yes
Lift /righting moment yes
Optimising Lift Drag ratio is an essential part of sailing
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 08:22   #84
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabowers View Post
Can't resist...

"I got an old fat boat, she's slow but handsome,
Hard in the chine and soft in the transom.
I love her well; she must love me,
But I think it's only for my money." - Gordon Bok, Old Fat Boat
\i know mine loves me for my money yes.. good song.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 08:55   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Both rudders are at the same angle, so angular considerations are the same. The windward rudder, being partially submerged presents less drag. If the submerged rudder's strength and hydrodynamics are sufficient to maintain steerage, what would be the problem? Perhaps in a rough sea, the windward rudder would take some sudden sea forces, causing control problems. Sudden forces are a shock load, so the rudders and linkages would need to be strong enough. But even a single rudder system is subject to variable forces of seas.

Sorry, I think I missed your point. Yes, the windward rudder would be presenting drag on its partially submerged portion without much benefit of steerage that it would otherwise provide if submerged. Could be pure drag with no steering hydrodynamics. It would be a variable load as seas roll past. Not sure how significant this would be. But could make handling a bit erratic.
Old 14-12-2021, 09:12   #86

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Yes, but there are design prices paid for it. Either deepen the bottom at the aft behind the keel - adding more drag - this isn’t done in the above boats. And/or:
Longer/deeper spade single rudder to compensate for the loss of steering water flow while healing (with flat bottom) - way more vulnerable!

HR already have five models with dual rudders and they seem to do very well. And HR definitely know something in serious offshore cruisers.

They even offer three rudders - special order only once every year on April 1st 🙂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9E74E91F-39BB-4E29-88B8-F06471456E22.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	249829  
Old 14-12-2021, 09:56   #87

Quote:
Sorry, I think I missed your point. Yes, the windward rudder would be presenting drag on its partially submerged portion without much benefit of steerage that it would otherwise provide if submerged. Could be pure drag with no steering hydrodynamics. It would be a variable load as seas roll past. Not sure how significant this would be. But could make handling a bit erratic.
Hi Diesel,
I can attest that I have never felt the boat or even the helm move from wave action against the rudder. You might get an occasional wave slap against the rudder face which you can hear but with no effect on the helm. It's a keel boat not a sports boat.
If I'm solo and its light airs you ignore the helm, you steer the boat with the sheets/traveller, not the rudder. Waves could hit the rudder all day, the helm doesn't move nor does the boat change in attitude. If you turn on the autopilot, you find yourself periodically checking to make sure its engaged because as long as your trim is right it hardly moves.
Old 14-12-2021, 10:25   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Hullo Mic,
The windward rudder contributes a lot to helm response until the wind picks up enough to continually fly the windward rudder. The rudders are canted at about 15 degrees so I agree on paper it doesn't look efficient.
But if you sit on the transom and watch the rudder wakes, you can watch the effect in real time as the rudder rises and falls back into the water. You don't see any drag ie: vortices or turbulence, the wake trail just appears and disappears. If you didn't set your toe in (alignment) correctly then drag would be an issue , but that's the same for a single rudder boat.
You can fine trim the boat looking at the rudder wakes, its an easy way to spot any trim issues. You can see the wake trail from the windward rudder in this clip. This is a beam reach with us doing everything trying to induce some heel, watch how much I'm having to move the helm.
Cheers!

https://youtu.be/wfpNh5r1VyI

Edit: sorry , I dont know how to embed the video
Old 14-12-2021, 10:31   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whokickamoocow View Post
Hi Diesel,
I can attest that I have never felt the boat or even the helm move from wave action against the rudder. You might get an occasional wave slap against the rudder face which you can hear but with no effect on the helm. It's a keel boat not a sports boat.
If I'm solo and its light airs you ignore the helm, you steer the boat with the sheets/traveller, not the rudder. Waves could hit the rudder all day, the helm doesn't move nor does the boat change in attitude. If you turn on the autopilot, you find yourself periodically checking to make sure its engaged because as long as your trim is right it hardly moves.

Great that there are no issues with seas knocking the high and dry rudder. A deeper draft keel certainly helps to stabilize heading.
Old 14-12-2021, 10:39   #90

Quote:
Great that there are no issues with seas knocking the high and dry rudder. A deeper draft keel certainly helps to stabilize heading.
Yep, agree. Draft, ballast/displacement ratio and sail plan balance are all important parts of the boat having good manners.