Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2023, 15:49   #1

Shopping for Cheap Sailboats

I remember the last time I came on these forums there was a thread where people were posting affordable boats that were a good deal. I cannot find this thread. I was interesting in something very cheap if not free. Prepared to do work as long as it floats. Anybody have any tips where to look. I live in New Jersey. I've been checking Craigslist & Facebook very often with no luck. I'll be saving for something nicer of course, though it would take me longer than I'd like to save any kind of money. But if I could get in the water now as a live aboard on some seaworthy-ish $1-3000 sailboat I would. Headroom is nice as I'm 6ft1in. Been looking at some ranging from 28 to 32 feet. I found a 28 Sabre that could work but its headroom is a little short for me, I'll keep that one in my back pocket. Of course that sort of headroom comes with that length... Any recommendations in boat Make/Model welcome! If you know of a boat for sale that's cool too! If I've posted this in the wrong place please scold me. Thanks.
SailorRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 16:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Shopping for Cheap Sailboats

You might be thinking of this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...97948-107.html. There has not been a lot of activity on it lately.

There is also this one: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-259980.html
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 16:21   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

You could offer $3,000 for this one and go from there.

Remember the base price of $2,000 to about $7,000 is basically the same depending on the boats needs and things onboard that come with the deal

These small Hunters are really good little boats. I have seen them sailing quite a bit, and they are very proportional as far as sail and length etc.

They appear to sail very well also.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...673966394.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 16:22   #4

I believe that is the thread I was thinking of. The other link looks interesting too. Thanks!
Old 14-10-2023, 09:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Hey Rye,

I’m not a Facebooker but there is a Free or Bottom Dollar boat group there. Also, if you tour around boatyards, there always seems to be boats available for almost nothing. Good luck and be patient and you’ll find the one.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 12:45   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Living aboard any $1-3,000 sailboat I've seen is pretty desperate. Not much better than pitching a tent on a sidewalk.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 14:44   #7

Well I've lived in my car so if the boat has a toilet and a stove that's already a huge improvement. I've seen many boats for sale in that price range in the past. I just hadn't been in a situation where i could go through with it. But I'm ready now and willing to put in the work.
Old 14-10-2023, 14:44   #8

Thanks Clark, I'll check out that group on Facebook. I live near a few marinas and I go for walks every now and again. Most of these marinas near me have the wealthier crowds so not too many cheaper boats that people would be willing to part with so easily. Maybe I'll get lucky one of these days...
Old 14-10-2023, 19:14   #9

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Try contacting marinas about lien sales, they come up about once a year for boats that are behind in their slip fees here in California. NJ might be the same. You might get something that has good bones and needs some work, or just a good cleaning.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 19:40   #10

Oh that sounds like a good idea. I'll have to call around and see if they do that here. Thanks!
Old 14-10-2023, 20:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Go to the biggest marina around, the one I'm working in right now (400 slips) seizes 10 to 14 boats per year and spends a fortune chopping them up. The marina goes through an expensive legal nightmare to get the right to dispose of these boats including paying me to survey them to establish a value. There are many marinas that would happily give you a boat with the caveat that it must immediately be removed from the property. Some of them might even float.

I call it the field of broken dreams. These are boats that people had the same idea as you and eventually walked away from once they realized what it cost to repair, maintain, insure and keep a boat if not perfect, at least functional.
Old 14-10-2023, 21:02   #12

That's a lot of broken dreams! haha
I could hopefully find something that would fit my needs from one of those. I just need something that floats that I can have a little fun with. Maybe upgrade to something else after Ive used up what little life it has left.
Old 23-10-2023, 06:53   #13

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorRye View Post
That's a lot of broken dreams! haha
I could hopefully find something that would fit my needs from one of those. I just need something that floats that I can have a little fun with. Maybe upgrade to something else after Ive used up what little life it has left.
You’re in NJ? I’m in NJ and not to crush any of your plans but just want to make sure you’re aware of a few things.

It’s going to cost roughly $4k per year to store and slip a small boat anywhere in NJ. My boat is 38’ and I’m paying $7k per year for my slip and winter storage. Oh and let’s talk about winter… All the marinas turn off the water and winterize their bathrooms in less than three weeks. There’s zero chance of living aboard in the winter here unless you go to a place like liberty landing and pay $10k per year this assumes you make it to the top of the waiting list. Believe me if there was a way I would have found it by now as I’m aboard from April through October and typing this from the diner across from my marina.

If your boat doesn’t have heat you’ll freeze to death and AC is almost mandatory in the peak of summer unless you anchor out then it’s not needed.

The Free boat that will require work is really a $15-20k boat and most of the marinas either have a waiting list or are not suitable for a sailboat here in NJ.

There are expenses you simply can’t escape so set aside at least $10k before you locate the “free” or “cheap” boat.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 07:49   #14

Boat: Catalina 28

You can also be a bit more proactive at a yard by looking for the boats that either weren't launched that season, or that haven't been launched in awhile. At my marina, there are always a few boats that just don't get put in for that season (or two or three). And there is a line of maybe twenty boats along the back edge of the property that haven't moved in years. At my marina, there is an Oday 28 that hasn't been launched in a couple of years that is still in the "main" storage area, and a Pearson 26 along the back edge that hasn't been touched since I've been at this yard (about 8 years). I mention these two only because they seem to meet or come close to your criteria. There are plenty of other options at my yard and all over. Just ask the yard; they will either know or be willing to contact the owner on your behalf to see if they are interested in selling.

When I was looking for a boat several years ago, I inquired about the availability of one particular boat that hadn't been launched that summer. The yard told me that the owner was a woman who got ownership in her divorce the year before, but had every intention of using it. A few days later, the yard called to say that they had contacted her, told her there may be an interested buyer, and she agreed to sell. I had already bought another boat, so that didn't work out, but you won't know unless you ask.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 12:17   #15

Yes I am unfortunately well aware of the additional costs that will come up. I shop for my boats working around this the best I can. I target boats that have my priority bare essentials as while I do not have the tons of extra spending money today, my new employment will make it much easier to maintain the vessel in the future. Also I have no intentions of spending $10k on a free boat, it will merely get me by as I spend the bare minimum keeping the cheap boat afloat.

I've already prepared to defend against against the heat and moisture, I already have that sort of equipment as well as the marine batteries to power it. I also have no intentions of staying in NJ as when I acquire the boat I'm heading to a marina slip that I am reserving a bit further south. So that at least will not be an issue. I gave up finding a slip here a while ago, the costs were just too high to be reasonable for my situation.

Tags
boat, cheap, sail, sailboat, shopping