Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 15:54   #1

gypsy or gypsy/capstan combo?????

Im looking to install my first windlass however was wondering if there is any advantage to getting capstan/gypsy vs having a gypsy that will accommodate both chain and rope with the proper splice.

i would like to go with a chain and rope combination so having said that:

are there circumstances where having a capstan is invaluable? given some tough pulling situations where say the anchor is really stuck in the mud does the rope very often slip inside the gypsy?

as you may have noticed this is my first boat! any advice would be greatly appreciated
sailerbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 16:28   #2

Re: gypsy or gypsy/capstan combo?????

I've not found rope chain spiced rodes to work all that well, yeah in light situation on a small power cruiser their ok.
A capstan could be nice to have at times. I've used one for everything from hauling aloft up the mast (a nono I think) to pulling slack in the chain with the snubber. But the number of times I've used it is not alot.
I have had tons better luck with a vertical windlass than a horizontal in electric windlasses. They just seem to feed the chain without a bunch of banging on the stripper etc. Some horizontals Ihad just chewed up the stripper terribly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:05   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailerbg View Post
Im looking to install my first windlass however was wondering if there is any advantage to getting capstan/gypsy vs having a gypsy that will accommodate both chain and rope with the proper splice.

i would like to go with a chain and rope combination so having said that:

are there circumstances where having a capstan is invaluable? given some tough pulling situations where say the anchor is really stuck in the mud does the rope very often slip inside the gypsy?

as you may have noticed this is my first boat! any advice would be greatly appreciated
You don't mention whether you are considering manual or electric models...

Unless you have a second person to tail the rope coming off the capstan, it isn't much use on a manual windlass. But we use the capstan on our vertical electric windlass fairly often, mostly for Ann to haul me up the mast. That (as said above) is decried loudly, but if practiced carefully, has worked for us for years now. Makes it worthwhile for us...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-03-2014, 17:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Really like the capstan for hauling in line at odd angles. Most recently used it to pull the bow around away from a rock when I'd run aground. Also handy to pull boat into slip on a Med. Moor tie up. Lotsa uses for vertical windlass with a rope capstan.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gypsy