Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 15:11   #121

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Here's 4 boats I found on Seattle's Craigslist. The Flicka is the smallest quality blue water boat I'd consider & it sounds like it's ready to go. But boy is it small. The other 3 are classic designs that would get you where you want to go but they're projects. For what you're planning you need a good quality boat. If it was me I'd seriously consider the H-28. One of the greatest designs ever put to paper. Seaworthy & comfortable. It's a good size for 2 people that like each other but not too big to maintain. It's a wooden boat so a lot of people will think that's crazy but if you learn to work on it yourself those skills will serve you well in the future. But be careful, this is a design you can fall in love with. When you do your inspection crawl all over it, look in every locker, open everything & take lots of pictures. It's hard to remember everything. If you get serious about a boat, especially a wooden boat, a survey is a good idea but not all surveys or surveyors are equal. Come back to the forum for recommendations on surveyors. Looking for your boat is actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the process. The more boats you inspect the more you learn about boats.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/5259830506.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/5274776265.htm
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5303390128.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5293869477.htmll
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:24   #122

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Here's 4 boats I found on Seattle's Craigslist. The Flicka is the smallest quality blue water boat I'd consider & it sounds like it's ready to go. But boy is it small. The other 3 are classic designs that would get you where you want to go but they're projects. For what you're planning you need a good quality boat. If it was me I'd seriously consider the H-28. One of the greatest designs ever put to paper. Seaworthy & comfortable. It's a good size for 2 people that like each other but not too big to maintain. It's a wooden boat so a lot of people will think that's crazy but if you learn to work on it yourself those skills will serve you well in the future. But be careful, this is a design you can fall in love with. When you do your inspection crawl all over it, look in every locker, open everything & take lots of pictures. It's hard to remember everything. If you get serious about a boat, especially a wooden boat, a survey is a good idea but not all surveys or surveyors are equal. Come back to the forum for recommendations on surveyors. Looking for your boat is actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the process. The more boats you inspect the more you learn about boats.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/5259830506.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/5274776265.htm
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5303390128.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5293869477.htmll
He said 12K is out of his league...............

This old boat though might be a good option:

1978 Endeavour 32 sailboat for sale in Washington

ENDEAVOUR 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Bal/disp 43%

Capsize ratio 1.76

Motion comfort 30 plus
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:36   #123

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
Remember the bumfuzzles. 'Nuff said!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bSMg4-CL1iGG0Q

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The Bumfuzzles spent three months working on, and learning, the boat in Florida, then spent four months learning to sail in the relatively benign waters of the Bahamas before they truly set off. They were not as reckless as many, or even perhaps the Bumfuzzles themselves, would suggest.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:36   #124

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He said 12K is out of his league...............

This old boat though might be a good option:

1978 Endeavour 32 sailboat for sale in Washington

ENDEAVOUR 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Bal/disp 43%

Capsize ratio 1.76

Motion comfort 30 plus
Leave it be. They are not ready for a boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:41   #125

Boat: Scout 30

Actually the asking price of the L. F. Herreshoff H-28 is only $4,000. Of course asking price & selling price is 2 different things. Hope this link works:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5293869477.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:44   #126

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Leave it be. They are not ready for a boat.
For once, you are correct.

I was just trying to get them a safer boat than some of the others that have been suggested

I wonder if folks realize they are at Latitude 49 plus. I'm betting conditions change rapidly up there.

The guy they contacted is from Calgary where the temperature this morning was 19 degrees F

Maybe it would be better to trek north and visit the bus from the book "Into The Wild."
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:49   #127

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
The Bumfuzzles spent three months working on, and learning, the boat in Florida, then spent four months learning to sail in the relatively benign waters of the Bahamas before they truly set off. They were not as reckless as many, or even perhaps the Bumfuzzles themselves, would suggest.
They spent more than $10,000 too. If I remember correctly, it was closer to $189,000 plus major $$$ repairing the hulls in Australia.
Old 10-11-2015, 15:51   #128

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Actually the asking price of the L. F. Herreshoff H-28 is only $4,000. Of course asking price & selling price is 2 different things. Hope this link works:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5293869477.html
Well… pictures show a really lovely boat, in 2005. But… price reduction from $24,000 to $4000 "reflecting present condition" of a wooden boat which looks to have been on the hard for some years and now sadly has a bloody great hole (seemingly) in its port quarter is really not going to be the boat that M&M are looking for.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:52   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
For once, you are correct.

I was just trying to get them a safer boat than some of the others that have been suggested

I wonder if folks realize they are at Latitude 49 plus. I'm betting conditions change rapidly up there.

The guy they contacted is from Calgary where the temperature this morning was 19 degrees F

Maybe it would be better to trek north and visit the bus from the book "Into The Wild."
Thanks, you may be in the minority thinking I was correct once. That makes you and I.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:09   #130

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well I have given your post some thought, I guess because it sounds like something I might have done, or thought about at least, in a younger day. I would recommend a boat like mine, 60s vintage, well made, stout, sea-worthy, proven design and can be found in your price range. (Columbia 29) But, (sorry, there are a few buts in here,) $10,000, even for an older boat like mine, might not get you the boat in the kind of condition I'd say was adequate for the trip. It might but it would take some looking. The thing is the stretch of coast from Washington to SF can be somewhat unforgiving for a first trip right out of the gate. For you, I like the idea of going to SF and finding a good boat there in the bay and then practicing in the bay, living on the boat. When you are ready, go out the gate and turn left. It is still challenging but would be more within reason. Winds, seas and currents will all be in your favor. And legs between harbors are shorter if you need to stop along the way.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:31   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well I have given your post some thought, I guess because it sounds like something I might have done, or thought about at least, in a younger day. I would recommend a boat like mine, 60s vintage, well made, stout, sea-worthy, proven design and can be found in your price range. (Columbia 29) But, (sorry, there are a few buts in here,) $10,000, even for an older boat like mine, might not get you the boat in the kind of condition I'd say was adequate for the trip. It might but it would take some looking. The thing is the stretch of coast from Washington to SF can be somewhat unforgiving for a first trip right out of the gate. For you, I like the idea of going to SF and finding a good boat there in the bay and then practicing in the bay, living on the boat. When you are ready, go out the gate and turn left. It is still challenging but would be more within reason. Winds, seas and currents will all be in your favor. And legs between harbors are shorter if you need to stop along the way.
Sounds like sound advise. The only problem is it sounds under funded and how do they make a living moving? Wishing no one ill will, to the contrary, wishing people the best. Sometimes dreams are great but then there is reality. The school of hard knocks.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:41   #132

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndMichelle View Post
Wow, thank you all for the replies - even the very discouraging ones.
What do you mean by this? People often don’t sail the coast of Peru? Why? They try to nickle and dime sailors?.
Try this for a welcome.. their first day 'in country'
'The dinghy wasn't there.

We did a thorough search, in case someone had moved it out of the way, but found no trace of it..... I had him note the theft of the dinghy and its motor, and he agreed to my suggestion that I return in the morning with a detailed written report..... We were disappointed by the lack of facilities for visitors, saddened by atmosphere of crime in the town and although there were some bright lights, overall we were disgusted by the official incompetence and corruption.'

Mas aqui Sequitur

To add insult to injury they then had to 'enter' again at Callao and pay all the fees a second time.

I was planning to go to Callao in 2013 but all the fees, agency, etc ,etc , was all charged at big ship rates. In the end and based on other experiences I gave it a miss.

Chile....? Southerly sea breezes blow very hard up that coast between Valpo and about Anto... up to 40 knots offshore from Coquimbo.... you have to work the calm spells ..midnight to late morning... long hard work in a 25 footer... and a lot of the coast is pretty much 'ironbound'...
Old 10-11-2015, 16:43   #133

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds like sound advise. The only problem is it sounds under funded and how do they make a living moving? Wishing no one ill will, to the contrary, wishing people the best. Sometimes dreams are great but then there is reality. The school of hard knocks.
I completely agree. If $10,000 is all you got, I don't THINK you can get there from here. However the OP may be very resourceful and the type who can fix anything on the boat himself and be able to find work in any port (without stepping on any toes...)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:04   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Who can make the judgement between dreams and reality? I see tattered sails, white fisted people come into Neah Bay all the time. Their boats are torn to shreds, and their dreams seem to be far away. They don't say much, and they don't have to.
The PNW is not someplace for dreams of the unprepared. It storms there every month of the year, as we witnessed last August. I felt bad for the shipwrecks I saw along Port Townsend, but the sea was indifferent to their pleas.
Maybe cruising on nothing is a good idea. At least then you have far less to loose. But I don't swim well in 40 degree water. My weather forecasting warned me of the danger, and I moved my boat into a well protected dock. What if I didn't have the funds to do that? Would I have anchored out too, and lost everything like those shipwrecks?
I look at cruising as living on a another planet. I have to have robust systems because water is alien to my survival. If you want to go out in a old canoe the more power to you, but I am going to have enough boat and enough funds to keep me out of trouble.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:17   #135

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
They spent more than $10,000 too. If I remember correctly, it was closer to $189,000 plus major $$$ repairing the hulls in Australia.
Yes, it was in Australia they learned the hulls were coming apart and it was dumb luck the boat hadn't sank crossing the Pacific. And if they hadn't had the substantial money for repairs, Australia is where the boat would have stayed.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, west coast