Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 23:56   #1

Boat: Snipe 15.5’
Did anyone build my imaginary boat?

Full disclosure, I’m not currently looking to buy a boat, I just want some help online shopping for my three-to-four-years-from-now boat. I’m immunocompromised so have only left the house a handful of times since March. Daydreaming about future adventures and online boat shopping is far more pleasant than staring at the wall waiting for vaccines to roll out. However as a newbie I don’t know which manufacturers I should even be looking at to meet some very specific needs, and I’d like to browse boats that would actually meet those needs instead of drooling over something inappropriate.

1. Sturdy I don’t know if we’ll end up crossing any oceans, maybe, maybe not, but I’d like to keep the option on the table. Additionally when we get inevitably get caught in nasty weather I want to only worry about my ability to handle it and not the integrity of the laminate.

2. Monohull, (no cats) can be plastic or aluminum but hubby says no to steel. He also prefers a cutter but a solent rig or ketch are also ok, but not a yawl. No strict requirements on cabin or head numbers, other than at least one of each. He’s 5’8” and I’m 5’7” so no extreme height requirements either.

3. Sugar scoop or easily accessible boarding area. I have hemiplegic migraines, which means when I have a migraine I get partial paralysis on my left side (looks like I’m having a stroke or TIA). Trying to get off a dinghy onto a ladder, and climbing that ladder with only one working arm, leg, and eyeball would be difficult and dangerous.

4. Singlehandle-able on short notice, again it’s the migraines. When they hit I have a roughly 10 minute window to hand off whatever I’m doing to the hubby, and go lie down before I fall down and hurt myself. So there will be times he has to handle everything on his own for extended periods.

5. Island berth or Pullman style double berth. I still like snuggling my hubby, but I am not crawling over him or out of a V berth every time I have to pee in the night. Also easy accessibility will be important on those occasions when I’m out of it and need to use my cane.

6. Shoal draft or at least less than 6’. Centerboard design is ok.

7. In an ideal world it also has a big galley, plenty of storage, nice quality woodwork, and an easily accessible engine and systems, but I’m pretty sure everyone wants those things.

8. Budget will be around $120,000 USD. Could potentially stretch to $150,000 but would ideally prefer to stay nearer to $100-120k.

Does this durable, big berthed, open sterned, easy to handle boat exist at that price point? If it does who made it and what is it? And if you’ve read this far, thank you!
Desert Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 13:54   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Did anyone build my imaginary boat?

Since you have plenty of time- maybe start browsing what is available on yachtworld.com using you parameters in an advanced search... plenty of boats that meet your criteria exist!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 17:50   #3

Boat: Snipe 15.5’

Thank you, I’ve been browsing and trying to do my research but it’s difficult to discern as an outsider which manufacturers I should even look at. I find Moody and Wauquiez consistently appealing but I'm sure there are other great builders, only I don’t know who they are. For example, I looked up Ovni’s after reading how much someone on here loves theirs, but I’d never heard of them before, and wouldn’t have thought to look without that testimonial.

It seems like there are a few big builders, and then a lot of smaller boutique builders. I’ve gotten a sense of the reputations of the bigger yards reading this forum, but without having years of exposure it’s tricky to figure out who are the hidden gems of those smaller ones.
Desert Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 18:11   #4

A Moody would do you well.

To address only one of your points, I'd think most boats of this size can be singlehanded - it's just a matter of practice and experience. Autopilot is important - as long as that's sorted, human input is largely unnecessary (or just a matter of tweaking).
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 18:17   #5

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dawdler View Post
Full disclosure, I’m not currently looking to buy a boat, I just want some help online shopping for my three-to-four-years-from-now boat. I’m immunocompromised so have only left the house a handful of times since March. Daydreaming about future adventures and online boat shopping is far more pleasant than staring at the wall waiting for vaccines to roll out. However as a newbie I don’t know which manufacturers I should even be looking at to meet some very specific needs, and I’d like to browse boats that would actually meet those needs instead of drooling over something inappropriate.

1. Sturdy I don’t know if we’ll end up crossing any oceans, maybe, maybe not, but I’d like to keep the option on the table. Additionally when we get inevitably get caught in nasty weather I want to only worry about my ability to handle it and not the integrity of the laminate.

2. Monohull, (no cats) can be plastic or aluminum but hubby says no to steel. He also prefers a cutter but a solent rig or ketch are also ok, but not a yawl. No strict requirements on cabin or head numbers, other than at least one of each. He’s 5’8” and I’m 5’7” so no extreme height requirements either.

3. Sugar scoop or easily accessible boarding area. I have hemiplegic migraines, which means when I have a migraine I get partial paralysis on my left side (looks like I’m having a stroke or TIA). Trying to get off a dinghy onto a ladder, and climbing that ladder with only one working arm, leg, and eyeball would be difficult and dangerous.

4. Singlehandle-able on short notice, again it’s the migraines. When they hit I have a roughly 10 minute window to hand off whatever I’m doing to the hubby, and go lie down before I fall down and hurt myself. So there will be times he has to handle everything on his own for extended periods.

5. Island berth or Pullman style double berth. I still like snuggling my hubby, but I am not crawling over him or out of a V berth every time I have to pee in the night. Also easy accessibility will be important on those occasions when I’m out of it and need to use my cane.

7. In an ideal world it also has a big galley, plenty of storage, nice quality woodwork, and an easily accessible engine and systems, but I’m pretty sure everyone wants those things.

8. Budget will be around $120,000 USD. Could potentially stretch to $150,000 but would ideally prefer to stay nearer to $100-120k.

Does this durable, big berthed, open sterned, easy to handle boat exist at that price point? If it does who made it and what is it? And if you’ve read this far, thank you!
Until you hit #8, an Island Packet 349 fit your bill. Maybe in four years that's what used ones will cost?
Old 13-12-2020, 19:03   #6

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Do Wauquiez designs have steps on a sugar scoop transom? Maybe newer Hallberg Rassy would be an option to consider.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 21:52   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Until you hit #8, an Island Packet 349 fit your bill. Maybe in four years that's what used ones will cost?
You wish. IP349 fails requirement #5. IP350 can be found for the price, but the same issue with #5. IP420, 440, 445, 465, 485 are good with respect to #5, but pricier. Maybe IP370.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 22:06   #8

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
You wish. IP349 fails requirement #5.
There's an option with a pullman berth, but it is smaller than an island.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but just go to interior here and click on the pictures below with the various options

https://ipy.com/yachts/ip-349/
Old 13-12-2020, 22:20   #9

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
There's an option with a pullman berth, but it is smaller than an island.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but just go to interior here and click on the pictures below with the various options

https://ipy.com/yachts/ip-349/
I have that Pullman berth. It is perfectly adequate for one person.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 22:25   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

Some couples like a pullman berth but consider that the person sleeping near the hull will have to climb over the other if they need to get up in the night, or you will both have to get up. Best stick with a centerline queen.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 23:01   #11

Boat: 20' Cuddy Cabin (power)

I'm currently in the same research stage as you and have the same hard line on centerline queen/island berth.

I've found this page to be an incredibly helpful resource.

Good luck!

http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html#boatstoconsider
4KidsForesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 03:57   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Did anyone build my imaginary boat?

Contest yachts do some nice models with aft cabins

My wife outlawed pullmans after our Bene 393 , she now prefers V berths where their is room to swing your legs around to get out. It does require a bit of gymnastics for me at 6’4”

Anyway once it gets hot we sleep in separate bunks as cuddles ate great but waking up stuck to your partner in sweat ain’t nice ( she runs hotter then me anyway !!! )

Island berths are great in a marina , most are awful in a rolly anchorage or passage making

( some of the better aft concepts were a form of V double berth aft. , so you could easily get out but also but in a bridge piece for the “ cuddle “ period.

Go for a sloop as it’s easily handled , cutters are “ ok “ but running back stays are a royal pain

As for “ sturdy “ most modern production boats ate more then adaquate to sail all the normal routes amateur cruisers want to go so unless you have visions of a northwest passage or viewing penguins , most will be more then sturdy enough to carry you where you want to go.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:23   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dawdler View Post

1,000s of those boat exist. Especially in the 2000+ years of “production” boat in the 40-45’ range. You will have no trouble finding except to the final deciding which. Normal hurdle people run into is they start reading too many boat boats written in the 80s and forums and miss out on great boats because of it.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:31   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

2000 years of production !!
Old 14-12-2020, 06:34   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
2000 years of production !!
Oh come on and give it some brian cells of thought. Do you really need an explanation?

Tags
boat