Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 20:20   #1

Boat: SanJuan 24
Decisions Decision

So I am looking for boat that I can trailer myself (beam no greater then 8'6") that I can launch myself with my truck. I would like a fixed keel, and a mast that I can step myself. It has to be sturdy enough for Lake Ontario and eventually take me to the Caribbean or the Med. It must be easy to single hand and have 6ft head clearance in the cabin. I am in no hurry and I am not a racer although going fast is not out of the question. I am not big on luxury but I need a comfortable place to sleep. It's mostly just me and maybe my wife.

I currently have a Sanjuan 24, great fast little boat. was good to cut my teeth on however my back hurts from being bent over all the time.

I was thinking a Grampian 26!!

Do you guys know of anything else out there that would fit the bill.
Goat_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 23:51   #2

Boat: Stuart 47
Re: Decisions Decision

Norwalk Island Sharpie 26' or above
For example have a look at www.yachthub.com.au and do a search
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 00:34   #3

Grampian sounds a pretty good option. And there are a lot of them in Southern Ontario....

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 09:49   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My boat, Columbia 29, has 6-0' headroom, draws 4' and has an 8' beam and so could be trailered without the oversize permit. But the permit is not a big deal. My boat is a bit heavy for it at 8000 lbs., I'd want a 3 axle trailer and a big pick-up for it. Try this thread, this has come up before in multiple threads too so try a search too.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-175115.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 09:55   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Always fond of Grampians. Sailed on many 26s and 30s, and owned a 34.

I haven't looked a the specs for all these boats, but some that might work are: a Mirage 26, or a Paceship 26, or perhaps a Northern 25 or even 29. What about a Bayfield 25 or 29?
Old 27-11-2020, 05:40   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

I own a Grampian 26 hull# 329. Love my old girl to death. Big enough ( I'm 6'2" and really don't have to hunch over too much )
Can be fast if sailed properly. I'm in Canada and I wouldn't take my boat to the Caribbean because it's a step mast and not a full length keel. As a solo sailor I have to be as risk adverse as possible so when stuff does go to crap you are prepared. Strong and sturdy boat. I'll never worry sailing her.
I've seen plenty trailerable. I use the clubs crane to take down my mast. I think it's 8'3" beam.
Fair winds [emoji846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_boy View Post
So I am looking for boat that I can trailer myself (beam no greater then 8'6") that I can launch myself with my truck. I would like a fixed keel, and a mast that I can step myself. It has to be sturdy enough for Lake Ontario and eventually take me to the Caribbean or the Med. It must be easy to single hand and have 6ft head clearance in the cabin. I am in no hurry and I am not a racer although going fast is not out of the question. I am not big on luxury but I need a comfortable place to sleep. It's mostly just me and maybe my wife.

I currently have a Sanjuan 24, great fast little boat. was good to cut my teeth on however my back hurts from being bent over all the time.

I was thinking a Grampian 26!!

Do you guys know of anything else out there that would fit the bill.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 07:04   #7

Thanks

I am in Canada as well, in Burlington, Bronte Outer harbour. I found a beautifully restored G26 in Barrie. Expensive thoe. Ther are a few more available but they will need alot of work. Still trying to decide.
Old 27-11-2020, 08:46   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
...I'm in Canada and I wouldn't take my boat to the Caribbean because it's a step mast and not a full length keel.
We all make our own risk calculus, but these are not two I would worry about on this boat. Nothing wrong with a properly designed deck-stepped mast. And as I recall from sailing G26s, the keel seems stout and adequate to the task.

Plenty of Canadians have sailed their G26s down to the Caribbean. I even met a family of four living and cruising on one. Personally, I'd have no issue taking one south if I was on my own.
Old 27-11-2020, 10:06   #9

Boat: Grampian 26

Good to know if the world goes to Hell in a handbasket, I can sail away [emoji3][emoji40]
Thank-you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We all make our own risk calculus, but these are not two I would worry about on this boat. Nothing wrong with a properly designed deck-stepped mast. And as I recall from sailing G26s, the keel seems stout and adequate to the task.

Plenty of Canadians have sailed their G26s down to the Caribbean. I even met a family of four living and cruising on one. Personally, I'd have no issue taking one south if I was on my own.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
Good to know if the world goes to Hell in a handbasket, I can sail away [emoji3][emoji40]
Thank-you
What do you mean IF!!!! I think we are prety much there I would start packing but I dont have a Grampian.... yet!