Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2022, 08:09   #1

Boat: 1980 Cal 39
Coral Gables Miami Waterway depth

Hello to all,

Does anyone have information regarding the depth of the Coral Gables Waterway in Miami? Not seeing any depths on my NOAA map for this area and my boat draws 6’. Also, any information related to tying up there in advance of Hurricanes would also be appreciated. I’m new to this of course.

Thanks in advance!
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 10:20   #2

Re: Coral Gables Miami Waterway depth

So there is no "waterway" to Coral Cables, or a Coral Gables waterway. If you were to be going to Coral Gables, you would most likely enter the inlet at Government Cut. The controlling depth is 40' +/-. From there, you would enter the Miami River if proceeding west. The Miami River is a commercial waterway so there will be plenty of water.

There is a river/waterway south of the Miami River at Tahiti/Cocoplum that eventually leads to the Gables. You will find plenty of water, however, within a couple of miles will be a fixed bridge that you will not get under.

The entire shoreline is a residential area: privately owned. There is a marina (Cocoplum YC). The club is private.

If you are looking for a hurricane hole in the Miami area: good luck. You need to pay for a "reservation" at most places, and the costs range from $1000 and up.

The Miami River would be a better option, but it gets very crowded.

If you are in the Keys, you may find a few H-Holes in the mangroves. They will offer some protection. The closest to Miami would be Card Sound.

Hope this helps you.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 10:45   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Brilliant Reel Love. Really nice tour guide stuff.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 10:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Reel Love covered it pretty well. Air draft would be your problem. No sail boats get past the LeJune Road bridge. There are some condo buildings with slips in the accessible part of the waterway. I think when they were built they were restricted to sailboats only to protect manatees. We all know sailboats don’t have propellers😆. The last time I went by them several years ago a lot of slips were empty. You might want to talk to them. Take a dinghy ride up the canal. It is interesting.
Old 19-05-2022, 11:43   #5

Boat: Boatless

17 or 18 years ago I put a boat drawing 6 ft in the Coral Gables waterway near Coco Plum for two hurricanes. I have not been in since 2006 and I do not know the current depths.

You enter the waterway and take the first left into a mangrove area. It is the best place I have anchored in the five hurricanes I have taken boats through.

It gets very crowded because of boats from Coconut Grove Sailing Club. The last time I spoke to the Coral Gables water police they said the did not want boats in the mangroves more than 24 hours prior to the hurricane’s arrival.

I live 6 miles south of Coco Plum overlooking a large mangrove area that appears ideal for hurricanes. Contact me and I will show you the waterway and the area I live.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 08:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Love View Post
So there is no "waterway" to Coral Cables, or a Coral Gables waterway. If you were to be going to Coral Gables, you would most likely enter the inlet at Government Cut. The controlling depth is 40' +/-. From there, you would enter the Miami River if proceeding west. The Miami River is a commercial waterway so there will be plenty of water.

There is a river/waterway south of the Miami River at Tahiti/Cocoplum that eventually leads to the Gables. You will find plenty of water, however, within a couple of miles will be a fixed bridge that you will not get under.

The entire shoreline is a residential area: privately owned. There is a marina (Cocoplum YC). The club is private.

If you are looking for a hurricane hole in the Miami area: good luck. You need to pay for a "reservation" at most places, and the costs range from $1000 and up.

The Miami River would be a better option, but it gets very crowded.

If you are in the Keys, you may find a few H-Holes in the mangroves. They will offer some protection. The closest to Miami would be Card Sound.

Hope this helps you.
Reel,

Thank you for the info. Just a few notes. The Cocoplum waterway that you reference is indeed the one that I asked about. On my maptech map (p28) it is referred to as the Coral Gables Waterway. For the past 4 months I've been moored at Dinner Key just to the north. My understanding is that many of the boats moored where I am make a beeline for that waterway on approach of Hurricanes. Most dont have my deep draft which is why i posed the question to see if it will accomodate my 6'. Even the Brennan Channel which leads to Coconut Grove wont accomodate 6' so I must motor in to Dinner Key, around Spoils Island and then out Dinner Key Channel.

My goal is to depart South Florida in about a year and a half so just trying to survive until then.

Kind regards
Old 27-07-2022, 08:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Reel Love covered it pretty well. Air draft would be your problem. No sail boats get past the LeJune Road bridge. There are some condo buildings with slips in the accessible part of the waterway. I think when they were built they were restricted to sailboats only to protect manatees. We all know sailboats don’t have propellers😆. The last time I went by them several years ago a lot of slips were empty. You might want to talk to them. Take a dinghy ride up the canal. It is interesting.
LOL - I love it!
Old 27-07-2022, 09:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
17 or 18 years ago I put a boat drawing 6 ft in the Coral Gables waterway near Coco Plum for two hurricanes. I have not been in since 2006 and I do not know the current depths.

You enter the waterway and take the first left into a mangrove area. It is the best place I have anchored in the five hurricanes I have taken boats through.

It gets very crowded because of boats from Coconut Grove Sailing Club. The last time I spoke to the Coral Gables water police they said the did not want boats in the mangroves more than 24 hours prior to the hurricane’s arrival.

I live 6 miles south of Coco Plum overlooking a large mangrove area that appears ideal for hurricanes. Contact me and I will show you the waterway and the area I live.
Moondancer,

First, thanks for all the info on CG waterway and more! How can I contact you offline?
Old 29-07-2022, 07:25   #9

Boat: Catalina 22

Second that! Air draft, wonderful.
wtubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, depth, miami, water