Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 13:07   #16

Re: Confused trying to charter and not enough experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post
A couple years back we chartered with a flotilla out of Goecuk, Turkey and had a couple in the fleet from Britain who had never sailed before. They showed up three days early and had some coaching from the Aussie SunSail staff and set off with us. They weren't the first ones in the bay for the barbie at night, but they never missed. (And I don't think their tardy arrivals were due to the lack of experience)....

Take a sail with SunSail or Moorings (flotilla's are fun), they will accommodate you so that you can burnish your CV with some helm time. Problem solved
I got much of my early sailing experience as a skipper in flotilla in Turkey during the mid to late 80's. It was a great experience. The lead boat will assess your skills and decide if you have to tag along with them or set free free for a few days to meet up later for a party.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 13:09   #17

Some areas of the world are easier to sail than others. a skipper without experience of tides currents is probably going to asked to take a paid skipper along with them for a day or two in the PNW.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 13:35   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachttie View Post
Hi Scottie Dog
Maybe you should come to the Whitsundays in Australia. Rules seem very flexible.
yachttie
G'day, Scottie Dog,

You know, "yachttie", has a point. We've met charterers with no training at all who had a 45 ft. boat they'd chartered out of Whitsunday Yacht Charters, iirc; they told us that one of their number had had a runabout on one of the lake systems in Victoria, and that was their "skipper", and the other thing that was required was a high limit on their credit card.

Obviously, some chartering outfits want you to have more documented experience than others. If it doesn't work out in Phuket, it's a short flight to Oz.

In the long term, perhaps more formal training will help, or using the services of the required skipper. That's not all bad, mind you, many of the anchorages near Phuket are pretty crowded with commercial traffic.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 15:24   #19

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

After getting my ASA 105 last year I chartered in Galveston TX with no issues (and single handed no less), next week in BVI they hinted that a captain would accompany me for the first half day. Which is not a problem for me, I need all the help I can get...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 15:29   #20

Thanks too all....

I'll try Sunsail in Phuket I did explain the 200nm and 2 night sails while completing the course many times taking the helm as a skiper plus 2 additional days sailing gulf of thailand but still not enough.......and "yachttie" I'm coming down to Perth on the 7th May so I'll have a look at Whitsunday see if its doable as I've got 10days to kill.
Scottie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 19:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dog View Post
Thanks too all....

I'll try Sunsail in Phuket I did explain the 200nm and 2 night sails while completing the course many times taking the helm as a skiper plus 2 additional days sailing gulf of thailand but still not enough.......and "yachttie" I'm coming down to Perth on the 7th May so I'll have a look at Whitsunday see if its doable as I've got 10days to kill.
Check out chartering out of Perth, if that's where you'll be. It'll pretty much use up a whole day getting from there to Proserpine and then Airlie Beach.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 19:52   #22

Ann I'll have a look but problem is I'll be on my own there at least in Phuket I have an extra pair of hands with my girlfriend coming along...
Old 11-04-2016, 21:51   #23

Well, then maybe you could go over to Ao Chalong, often the cruisers come ashore, in the evening, and hang out for a while with some people who are doing it on their own, if you can't get a suitable arrangement for chartering.

Fwiw, I'm sorry that your plan isn't working out, that must be very frustrating and disappointing.

Maybe there's a Perth area CF'er who'd take you for a daysail, if that would please you, at least you'd be out on the water in a foreign country.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 22:11   #24

Yes Ann I'm not having much luck in Thailand. The last time I planned to join a boat to crew out of Pattaya I paid over a grand in flights and hotels getting there waiting around then a week before we were supposed to go the guy cancelled said he wanted to leave 2 weeks later by that time I had to go back to work.

Anyone in Perth CFs who would be willing to take me out for a sail by all means get in touch and I'll happily pay for the privilege.....
Old 12-04-2016, 03:10   #25

Boat: Catalina 400

In the Carib, it's not uncommon to hire a Captain for the first day (costs about $200 for the day)

You get extra training, and orientation on that particular vessel and your charter sailing grounds, and then you will decide together if you are approved as skipper for the rest of your holiday.

Have fun!
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 09:53   #26

Boat: Chrysler 22

I am a retired Navy line officer with lots of underway and OOD time, but little time on big water in a sailboat. I first learned to sail at Newport RI OCS but little after that. After I retired, I have completed ASA 101, 104 and 105, just last year with a week on the Chesapeake. I have my own 22" boat on a local lake and have many days sailing it. After the courses, I figured I was good to go to charter on the Chesapeake this year.

Is it likely that I would have a problem chartering on the Chesapeake, or anywhere?

Thanks, Chasmains
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:07   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dog View Post
Hi all maybe someone can shine a light on this because I'm confused,

I have my IYT bareboat skipper license so thought me and the girlfriend would charter a yacht out of Phuket for a few days help me gain some more experience keep my hand in so to speak as I haven't had time for much sailing since I took the course.

I've done over 200nm and 2 night sail but seems the charter companies won't allow me to charter because I've never been a skipper. I don't have my own yacht if I did I wouldn't be chartering so what am I missing here this is why I wanted to charter.

I'm hardly going to have a skipper join me and my GF for 5 days sailing and if they won't let me skipper a yacht how do I get experience as a skipper.

I was just honest and told them my experience should I have just lied and said I'd skippered dozens of yachts in the past.......?????
The major charter companies should be fine with your iyt quals. Couple that with a navy background and you should have no trouble chartering from any of the major charter companies.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:20   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmains View Post
I am a retired Navy line officer with lots of underway and OOD time, but little time on big water in a sailboat. I first learned to sail at Newport RI OCS but little after that. After I retired, I have completed ASA 101, 104 and 105, just last year with a week on the Chesapeake. I have my own 22" boat on a local lake and have many days sailing it. After the courses, I figured I was good to go to charter on the Chesapeake this year.

Is it likely that I would have a problem chartering on the Chesapeake, or anywhere?

Thanks, Chasmains
Hi Chasmains and welcome to the forum.

I have heard that some companies will charter to anyone that can walk upright in the door and hand them a credit card. The two times I chartered a boat the companies were mainly interested in my experience and abilities instead of classes or training although they did ask about that.

Both companies wanted to confirm I knew what I was doing; verified once by an in depth, face to face interview with the fleet manager, the other by filling in a long questionnaire that covered all sorts of handling, weather, navigation, etc followed up by a short meeting with the manager to make sure I was who I claimed and answered the questions myself.

Worst case scenario, you might be asked to take the boat out on a supervised test around the bay. If the charter company isn't satisfied they might require you to pay a captain to accompany you for a day or so until they are satisfied you can manage the boat safely.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:25   #29

Leftbrainstuff:

You quoted Scotty Dog and maybe addressed my question by accident. I don't think he has any Navy experience, but I do. Just wanted to clear up what I think is a small mixup. Thanks for responding, though. Chasmains
Old 13-04-2016, 10:28   #30

Skipmac,
Very good point. I don't know if I would turn over my $100,000 boat to an off-the-street guy without checking him out. I would be happy to prove I can be trusted anyway. Thanks, Chasmains

Tags
charter, enc