Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2013, 08:26   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Comfortable Bluewater Cruiser

Safari,

My experience was that after sailing a lot and living aboard at anchor, my own tendency to be seasick diminished. Mostly this happened because one's body learns to adapt, and move in such a way as to help one's inner ears. However, I have tried almost everything available, drug wise, and I did find that Stugeron works best for me. It is available over the counter in England and Vanuatu that I know of for sure. I suggest you glance at the Seasickness threads, of which there are many, because there are some little tricks that can help, even people with inner ear problems.

If you are located in Kentucky, once you get somewhere there are both doctors and ocean access, so there are doctors who are sailors, I'd consult with one of them in the hopes that your condition could be medically addressed.

Finally, if you're into it, you can work with an affirmation that your body will continue to cope better and better with the motion sickness. This approach works, too.

Ann (first cruise was in the late 70's)
Old 14-12-2013, 10:16   #17

Not to beat a horse here, but we have a Shannon 38, full keel, easy nice motion. That full keel makes for a nice ride, my boyfriend also gets seasick. He takes the meds the night before we go offshore and that usually helps, also it helps if we are on the boat for a period before we hop off. Which we usually are since we live aboard. Anyway, love our boat, she is built like a brick, pretty and traditional, not the fastest but usually there is a compromise. She will take us anywhere!
Conchfritterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 10:34   #18

Try an Island Packet.

This is the part of the bluewater cruiser discussion where everyone advocates for the boat that they own. Full disclosure: I don't have an Island Packet, but it seems to me that it would meet your requirements.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 12:49   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Lot's of advice here about either making compromises in your plans or for the mal de mer remedy dujour. Was not the question. I'd look at the boats that are traditionally noted for their comfort. I've been on several models of Cabo Rico and have been happy in some pretty snotty weather. I'd have been sick on other boats in less awful conditions. There are other, similar boats: see Shannon, and maybe Island Packet. Given your pre-conditions, I'd at least look at a Cabo Rico 42.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 13:00   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Hell if you want comfort and can afford it what about a fin and gyroscopic stabilized motor boat like a 46 ft Nordhaven. You will be spending most of your time at anchor and when you make passages you will be faster and better able to plan around weather. The difference in cost is not as great as one might think since most time is at the dock or on the hook and the cost of sail rigging and sails etc help balance costs. If a boat is going to spend most of its time in blue water then the sail option is a no brainer but many boat don't actually do that.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 15:29   #21

Check out an article I first saw in Cruising World. Crunching Numbers For A Quality Cruiser by John Holtrop. He has updated his numbers over the years and they still apply. I purchased #10 off his 1998 list of Top Offshore Cruising Boats (using the very close hedge) and we are still going strong with no reqrets. Finding the right boat is half the fun!
PW65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 19:18   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I loved my racer/ cruiser, responsive, finicky to sail trim, fast, rugged, just a joy to sail, of course sailing upwind in 30 knts in 12 foot seas was fun, but not for everyone (something you'd only do in a race), mostly guys, but my wife is also comfortable with it, as long as she's not behind the wheel. Behind the wheel? Our new ride, a 40,000 lb cruiser, now she feels more comfortable when in charge.
Hull design, weight and size do make a difference, if your looking for comfort go big, go conservative in hull design, there are boats with a very sea kindly motion.
So many good boats, so little money and time.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 06:00   #23

Thanks so much for all the responses. Since money IS a factor and we are landlocked in KY, the only sailing we get to do is chartering (currently....). The point is we can't hop around various harbors to look at boats. We have to narrow down the wish list first. I am interested in a Tartan 40 1986 and Passport 40 also 1986. Is there anyone out there who has knowledge of either of these models? Would love to find a Shannon 38, price permitting because I love her lines and interior. (What can I say, women like pretty boats). I prefer the late 1980s models when boats were actually pretty with less all fiberglass interiors. My husband is in love with Cabo Rico's, but they are a bit pricey. Appreciate the responses.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 06:31   #24

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your boat search. I have my boat at KY Lake/Lake Barkley and can't wait to get to a coast. They're pretty good lakes for sailing. Lots of boats around there.

I've seen some pictures of Cabo Rico's and they are nice looking boats. They may be pricey but it may just mean you have to save up a little more for one if you find one you really like.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:15   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
..... I prefer the late 1980s models when boats were actually pretty with less all fiberglass interiors. My husband is in love with Cabo Rico's, but they are a bit pricey. Appreciate the responses.
There's a lot to the meaning of 'çomfortable'. If you select a 1980's boat, then plan on major refit costs and heavy maintenance time. Boats of this era tend to have spaghetti wiring done in multiple generations. The systems are either old and need replacing or have been replaced by various owners with different skill levels. Either way, you will be doing significant 'fixing your boat in exotic places'. Not to say that a new(er) boat doesn't require this -- it is just a matter of degree. My point being interior layout and looks from the outside is not all that is needed to cruise 'çomfortably'.
That nice head layout won't be so comfortable when the head leaks, the holding tank stinks and the shower pump doesn't prime.
Old 15-12-2013, 08:59   #26

Boat: CORBIN 39

'Joint Effort' is currently on the market. Maybe the most ideal boat with your desires. located in western Lake Erie. we have owned this boat for 22 years. expertly maintained. check out this link; Joint Effort (69) (for sale) album | Corbin 39 Owners Group | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

reduced price to 140,000
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 09:31   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum. I am biased, like many here, while I don't own a Skookum 47' I have spent extensive time on one. I do have a 53' version. They are the consummate blue water cruiser, full keel, good sea boat, sea kindly. They are a heavily constructed vessel with outstanding workmanship. The down side is they don't make them anymore, the upside, you can still find them. I hope you find your ideal boat.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:46   #28

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
Would love to find a Shannon 38, price permitting because I love her lines and interior. (What can I say, women like pretty boats).
I will chime in and say not all women do. When we went boat shopping, for my wife, as long as the cabin had a separate shower and head, has enough headroom to stand up, has a place to sleep and cook, she's happy. What she was mainly concerned about is the cockpit and how much room it has, and whether or not the deck has a place she can sun herself in her bikini without getting tangled up in rigging. I don't even need an autopilot because as long as my wife is onboard she'd much rather be at the helm than in the cabin.

So the boat we bought is butt ugly and needs a lot of cosmetic work. But it has the spacious cockpit and sundeck. The rest can be fixed.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 13:34   #29

Flash forward and a couple years older, we are still chartering and I just don't like the motion of Bavarias , and Beneteaus which is what we usually to get in Moorings charters. Anyone out there have experience with Jeaneaus? Is the motion feel the same as Benateau?
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:44   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Safari,

If all you ever do is charter, your body doesn't really have a chance to teach itself how it is most comfortable aboard.

Maybe you could charter with outfits that have Island Packets, Amels, Halberg Rassey, more medium to heavy displacement type boats, and see how you do.

Also, there are many anti-seasickness threads on CF. One of them had an article for pilots about tricks to do to avert motion sickness. Recommended reading.

Please don't think I'm being mean, but really, this issue is not only about types of boats, but about how you work with your body to feel better at sea.

Ann

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water