Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 16:04   #1

Columbia 28 engine issues

hey guys! So i was coming into port from a trip around the puget sound and when i was bringing her in the engine made a horrible noise, sounded like rods or something broke loose but other people say it sounded starved for fuel. it is a vortec two cylinder diesel engine, and im only really familiar with two strokes so id figure i should post on here and see if anyone else has had this problem. the boat is a 1969 columbia 28. Cheers!
dkollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:22   #2

Re: Columbia 28 engine issues

Not familiar with a Vortec. It could be like you say... threw a rod, but could be other things from transmission to even the engine/shaft coupling! Have you eyeballed the coupling? I had one come loose and was clanging around held by one bolt once.
I think usually when a diesel is starved for fuel it will speed up and slow down intermittently.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:48   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A bit more info would help here. For instance:

Did the engine stop suddenly, or did it continue to run whilst making the noise?

Can you turn the engine over, either with the starter or by hand?

What sort on noise was it? a single big bang, multiple bangs, a screechy sort of noise or what?

Have you had a look at the oil? Is it full of metallic flecks?

In general, if you have "thrown a rod" the engine will be either seized or only rotate through a partial revolution. There may be a hole in the pan or the side of the block. If you have dropped a valve into a cylinder, a look under the rocker arm cover will show said valve to be missing or jammed in an open position. If you have run a crank bearing, the engine should still be able to turn over, but with excess friction.

I've never blown up a marine diesel, but lots of sad experience with racecar engines. When something severe happened to those (all V-8 petrol engines) it was readily apparent to the naked eye. The slower speed of the marine engine may help disguise the damage, but some symptoms will surely be present!

Good hunting, and lets hope for some good news.

Jim
Old 07-07-2014, 19:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollar View Post
hey guys! So i was coming into port from a trip around the puget sound and when i was bringing her in the engine made a horrible noise, sounded like rods or something broke loose but other people say it sounded starved for fuel. it is a vortec two cylinder diesel engine, and im only really familiar with two strokes so id figure i should post on here and see if anyone else has had this problem. the boat is a 1969 columbia 28. Cheers!
- Did the engine stay running until you docked or did you shut it down?
- Did the knocking continue in neutral?
- Will it turn over by hand?
- Pull the dipstick and or drain the oil and look for metallic flakes?
- Check the air intake and make sure nothing got sucked into the engine.

- starved for fuel, may momentarily increase in speed and then start losing RPM until it flames out.

Not enough info to go on yet.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28   #5

Check the easiest things first. See if it was a frozen alternator, or bad bearing, they can make a real racket, or if the water pump bearing went bad. As stated before, see if the engine still turns, but if it doesnt, then check to see if the starter went bad, and engaged. Lots of good suggestions already ,so the only other thing I would do is get a bright light, and good pair of eyes, and look over everything. What is a Vortec diesel??? Best of luck _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, engine