Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 11:22   #46

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Circumnavigation - Advice from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolajAM View Post
Hi,
Which things should I pay attention to when buying a boat to do a circumnavigation? Is there any must-haves and no-goes?
I don't have any experience with boats
I have to admit that I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

Not because the question is absurd (a bit too broad maybe), and not because I think it's a horrible idea (OP bought a boat three days later, which is pretty on par with what we did last year), but because I figured nobody would possibly go looking for the type of criticism certain to follow such a post!

We decided many times not to ask the exact question because:
- we figured it was far better to simply write in later after we were well underway and actually had some experience under our belt.
- we have no plan (yet) to circumnavigate... but also had no plan to sail to Grenada our first time out, and here we sit 8months later.
- we have learned several times to not ask questions you aren't going to like the answers to, and to not share our plans in places people are likely to tell us we "cant", when we intend very much to show that you "can".

Good luck with the new boat and wherever your path may take you!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 13:45   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigation - Advice from you

Enjoy the buying...
Enjoy the 'Prep'..
And above alle Enjoy the experience..
How far you get matters not, the joy along the way.. Priceless.
Don't set a goal.. all you get is stress, Life just Happens.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 15:47   #48

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Enjoy the buying...

Enjoy the 'Prep'..

Well said.. funny enough I came across the following snippet yesterday which I think brings the experience right to the point...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	197971

I just looked at my credit card for the month...[emoji30]
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailwithscott View Post
Buy the smallest boat you can stand, not the biggest boat you can afford.
30 to 35 foot is plenty large. Important that it sail fast. You will regret not being able to make at least 150 miles a day. Remember that most of the worlds weather on the water in light air, not storms. Good weather updates are important in staying out of bad weather or no wind. I would definitely take a garmine inreach explorer+ to let love ones track you and you to be able to communicate with text messages and weather updates.
Yes, I would agree with that: the smallest boat you are comfortable with rather than the largest you can afford. For one person I would not go much over 28 to 30 ft: cheaper top buy, cheaper to maintain, cheaper in marinas and generally easier to handle.

The ability for speed and to do some mileage, yes, but I would add that a full-keeled boat would be my preference because generally it gives better stability and ensures your rudder is protected. The drawbacks are possibly that the boat points less well and that reversing into a pen may be difficult, but overall I would settle for a full-keeled boat. Cutter rigged would probably be best, but sloop rigged can be OK. Personally I would not go for a ketch rigged boat (too much work if you are on your own) but I am sure some people would disagree with me on that one.
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 20:15   #50

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Just get a boat, and learn about boats, first. Then you will have a better idea of what sort of boat and equipment suit you best. There are a lot of purely preference things, and you can argue all day long about fin vs full keel, anchor, gun on the boat, tiller or wheel, AIS or radar or both or neither, SSB or Sat phone or both or neither, celestial or electronic or both (hopefully not "neither" on that one!) sloop or ketch or schooner, cat or mono, white or yellow or green or polka dot, or a thousand and one other things we all argue about here. It has been proven that almost any boat CAN circumnavigate, if the skipper can circumnavigate. You need experience to tell you what you should have in a boat, and how to manage it. So just get a boat. Sail it. Maintain it. Upgrade it. Race it. Cruise it. Live aboard for a while. It's all great fun even if you abandon your dream of going round the world. If you really got the itch, then a few years and a couple boats from now I am sure you will be doing it.
Old 16-08-2019, 22:09   #51

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

1. Boat size: 35 to 50, smaller, if you are alone, larger if you are a couple or a crew
2. Cutter rig would be great (headsails on furlers), in mast furling mainsail would be great.
3.Best ground tackle with oversized hook and 80-100m chain, second Anchor with chain and rope.
4. Cheap VHF, if you are a Ham, use an SSB radio, if not buy an Iridium go.

5. AIS is not necessary but nice to have
6. Radar is not necessary but nice to have
7. A watermaker is not necessary, but really (!) nice to have. Without watermaker, you need large water tanks and a concept to collect rain water.
8.Design an energy concept so that you are not depending on your engine to top up the batteries. Make sure you have enough battery capacity and focus on solar.
9. Have multiple GPS navigation tools (Chart Plotter or Computer) with the best quality of charts you can afford
10. Have a reliable autopilot or a windvane. A spare autopilot is mandatory if you want to cross oceans.
11.Have your rigging controlled or replaced by a professional before you leave
12.Learn how to maintain your engine and carry plenty of spares.
13.Learn how to do marine electrics and electronics. Carry spares.

14.Learn how to plumb just in case you have a toilet problem or a leaky water pipe. Carry spares.
15. Have good quality tools. The best you can afford.

In terms of boat size, remember, most of the time during your circumnavigation you will be at anchorage or in a marina and you have to live comfortably on your boat. If you are a couple or a family, you need some space to stay mentally healthy. Living in confined space is OK for a weekend, but not for 2 years.

Of course, it depends on the boat, but in general, I would not go bluewater in anything below 35...... (monohull)

Just my 5c,

-Richard
Old 16-08-2019, 23:24   #52

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Enjoy the buying...
Enjoy the 'Prep'..
So very true. Follow this, not too much of the rest. I don't agree with the smaller is better plan, either. AAC just did a good article explaining why the boat you need is probably ten feet longer than you might think. A fifty-foot boat is no more difficult to single-hand than a 35-footer if well set up, after the first day.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 20:36   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

2 small masts
Steel hual
Bronze fittings

Likely made to sail North Sea.

Avoid

Thin fiberglass
Tall single masts
Plastic fittings
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 22:29   #54

Even though 90% of sailboats crossing oceans have one mast and are fiberglass...everyone is doing it wrong?
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:56   #55

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No sailing experience and the words buying a boat to do a circumnavigation don’t belong in the same thought. Dreamer... please do some searches on your own, then get back to us.

Must haves: Experience

No goes: No sailing experience.
Many people want to buy the boat to do the circumnavigation and then get the experience with that boat for a few years before going.

With that said, there is a problem with that. Boats that are great for circumnavigations are not good for newbies. My advice is to get a old used production boat and learn off it. It will be easier to dock, sail and learn with. During that time you will learn about boats and also learn to see if you like being out there (most don't like being out there but they bought the boat and go anyway forcing the wife to go and then after a while she forces them to sell).

So, please buy a boat to learn with then, when you are ready, you will know what boat to get.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:58   #56

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Even though 90% of sailboats crossing oceans have one mast and are fiberglass...everyone is doing it wrong?
95%

Now that I own a ketch I have noticed we seem to be only about 3-4% of the boats with Schooners being 1-2%.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:41   #57

Suggest you read "Shrimpy," by Shane Acton. He sailed around the world in an 18 ft boat, leaving the UK with almost no experience. He found a beautiful companion along the way. It took him 8 years to make the trip. His biggest problem? Cigarettes. He was highly addicted to them and often ran out and desperate to find more. Died prematurely of lung cancer.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:05   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
95%

Now that I own a ketch I have noticed we seem to be only about 3-4% of the boats with Schooners being 1-2%.

lol I was going to say 95% but my buds that own Amels would be upset. (I love ketches)
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:43   #59
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
95%

I kinda like being in that 1-2% crowd... [emoji4] Click image for larger version

Name:	Banton 2 SG.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	198375Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	198376
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 20:53   #60

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I kinda like being in that 1-2% crowd... [emoji4] Attachment 198375Attachment 198376
Beautiful boat Pelagic!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation